Vital Information Your Woman Or Mates May Need If You Die.

Steve Merchant

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2009
I have stood over my own sons ICU bed while he was in a coma after a bike accident but at least I had all the knowledge to help him. Sadly I have now had 3 friends die here in Chiang Mai and all have left problems in the wake of their death. Robert, Tom and Stephen all died without anybody having access to their funds which which would have eased the burden for those left organising their funerals. Thai style is often to start the Ban Sop rolling the next day and money is needed for food, drink, ceremonial and cremation items, etc. The morning after Tom Wignalls death his wife was at my door crying floods and asking for financial help. Stephen Earneys wife was with his body at a Chiang Mai hospital needing instant funds for the release of his body to get him back home. I'm not going to try to suggest how, thats a personal thing, but if you could find a way to let someone have access to your PIN code for such an emergency it could avoid a lot of distress. Two of these 3 men were also not married to the woman they livid with for various reasons. There may be good reasons for that but at least give some consideration to the fact that with a next of kin in England or Australia the person you have been living with will now have awful trouble even releasing your body from the hospital. She also cant get bank money, maybe cant sell your bike or car, and could have problems staying in the house. Its not easy thinking about your own death, we avoid it as much as possible but to help our woman or mates clear up our affairs we could help by providing some information in one way or another.

Aug 7, 2003
A very valid point for anyone actually, maybe a higher risk for us riders. A point to ponder . Anyone with a secure method of achieving this besides a will ??

Reactions: scotty007

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Good idea Steve.
Perhaps a power of attorney &/or a note left with your partner / a close friend / relative with those details is a good idea.
We never know when our time is going to be up & someone needs access to our private data.

On a similar note something I once experienced
D-Tracker Rider Killed

Reactions: Ian Bungy

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A very valid point for anyone actually, maybe a higher risk for us riders. A point to ponder . Anyone with a secure method of achieving this besides a will ??

Keep a sealed emergency envelope containing any necessary info with a close mate?
Someone immediately contactable in an emergency & "close by."

scotty007

Subscribed
Feb 23, 2004
A Thai will only costs around 5000B.

it is sensible to have a valid will in Thailand and a valid will in your home country, each one backing the other up with details of how and where you may want to be buried/cremated etc, it is often in your interest that your partner also has a valid will!

Oct 17, 2006
keep your will separate As Uk will has no power in thailand and vicaversa and also its neater for tax reasons ,and stops the lawyers wasting your assets on international wrangling and bills , i have wills in both countries and a sheet of notes and data that my brother has giving him access to all my accounts so my family have control if the worst happens

Reactions: scotty007

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I recently helped out a guy in Chiang Khong who literally fell over in Chiang Khong, walking to the Bamboo Mexican and snapped his collar bone.
He originally thought he would have surgery in Chiang Khong at the local hospital, but I intervened & had him transferred to Chiang Mai the next day with his bike.
His injury was not life threatening or serious , so the surgery could wait until he got home to a decent hospital, where he had friends and local support.
I understand he had insurance & it was to be all paid for by his insurance company.

This is a great reminder that anything can happen at anytime, and always when you least expect it or need it.
GTR has an insurance page here
with recommendations for different types of insurance.

A couple of GTR accident reports here

Generally it is the luck of the game how you fall & get hit.
Something that has always concerned me though, is not coming out of the accident well, having physical disabilities, paralysis or brain damage & needing long term care.
I don't wish to be a burden or financial drain on anyone, or the system, and will be happy to check out, sign off and go anytime appropriate. Thanks everyone, I've had a great life riding here & there's always the GTR Chedi to look forward to hanging out with a few already departed buddies.

In Australia my brother & his wife both ride, & both wear "Do Not Resuscitate" medical tags that are recognized by emergency medical staff.
These do not exist in Thailand, & even if you wore one, would not be recognized by emergency medical staff.
Is there an alternative?

The closest you can get is a "Living Will", that was first introduced in Thailand in 2007 under the Health Act.

“Section 12: An individual is entitled to make a Living Will expressing that person’s intentions to refrain from receiving medical treatment for the purpose of extending the last phase of their life or for ending the suffering arising from the illness.

A “Living Will in Thailand“, also known as a “Physician’s Directive”, is a separate document from a Last Will. The difference between a Will and a “Living Will” is that the Living Will dictates how you will be cared for while you are still alive and a Will dictates funeral arrangements and how your assets will be divided after you have passed away. A “Living Will” has NOTHING to do with your property.

The Testator must be 18 years or older.
– Must be specific on the dates of the living will + complete details on the person making the will.
– You must specify which type of healthcare you do not wish to receive.
– Should be signed by the maker of the will and a witness or witnesses.
– Details of the witness or witnesses should also be written.

Make sure that you choose a health care representative who is willing to refuse certain methods of care when you reach a terminal stage. Thai nationals may balk this issue because of their Buddhist culture, so best see to it that you choose someone who is willing to follow your every instruction when the time comes that you are incapable of communicating.

Living will document - Update April 2016
Section 12 of the Thai National Health Act made it clear that: “A person shall have the right to make a living will in writing to refuse the public health service which is provided merely to prolong his/her terminal stage of life or to make a living will to refuse the service as to cease the severe suffering from illness,” and: “An act done by public health personnel in compliance with the living will under paragraph one shall not be held an offence and shall not be liable to any responsibility whatsoever.”

Despite this law, some health providers are still convinced that it is another form of euthanasia whilst others believe that it is against the fundamental medical bioethics; to do no harm.

Professor Sawang Boonchalermwipas, a law professor from Thammasat School of Law, clarified the importance of the living will, noting that under no circumstances is this document a violation of patients’ rights, hastening their death in process.

Rather, it is a way to help everyone realize patients’ wishes. The Supreme Court also made a verdict regarding a lawsuit against this document not so long ago that the law still hold true and is not euthanasia as some people had accused it to be.

Something to think about guys..

Last edited:

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
As we can't own property here. It may be worth noting that if our spouse dies before us her family will likely come and evict you from "their" house.

Jan 22, 2005
This seems super simple to me. Why would you NOT have your spouse/significant other as beneficiary of your estate? For those left behind, it sucks for them to have to clean up after you, deal with probate, and close accounts. Was not a big deal for me to arrange my estate seamlessly transferred to my wife on my demise--which is certain, if not known exactly when. I've an executor that will liquidate & distribute assets to those I've asked to have it. Think ahead a bit, eh? Riding is not without risks.

Reactions: Steve Merchant

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Some will links

Lanna Lawers Wills

Jawnee

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2016
Chiang Mai
Also if you are on a Spouse visa it is automatically cancelled on the demise of Your Partner and You have something like a week to leave the country or change Your visa?
If you divorce it ends and you have 7 days, but if your spouse dies, your extension stays in effect until the date stamped in your passport. See point 2 in the attached doc.

Extension wife dies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ian Bungy

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
Great information and timely too, as my wife and I were just discussing this the other day following a crash I had in July in the Indian Himalaya that has left me with several fractures and other injuries that are going to take a number of months to heal and also lead to having to cancel a 20 day tour of northern Vietnam. We both have wills/living wills in the USA, but want to have them here as well as this is where I want my final jumping off point to be. Our son, who still lives in the USA, has access to my password manager, which should provide access to most everything once I take my leave.