Wanted: Honda XR 400

Oct 12, 2005
[
quote]"BignTall, is it a fact that a proper legal book always costs between 80-90K THB with a one year waiting time? quote]
That in itself in Thailand is a dangerous concept at best. I would never regard anything as "fact" over here simply because things change (enforcement, new laws, new governments,etc.)so often. What is so one day may not be so the next. Reliable information is also a scarce commodity. Thats why forums such as these are such a blessing. We all contribute our experiences and try to form ideas based upon those experiences.

I was quoted 85,000 for a legit book on a 525cc machine. It seems most of the big bore harleys and Ducatis have also seen costs around that same price. Johns got one for 50,000 on a 250. Seems size of the motor may dictate the price.

According to you that would be a recycled book (because cheaper and faster) which could NOT have me as the first owner.
I never said that. All is I said is you have two options: legit and recycled books. Your shop may indeed be able to get you a legit book for 50k in two months. If so a great opportunity.

I have also seen recycled books lost, then replaced with newly issued books. The owners name is the first in the book. However the frame serial number is not the original one that came on the bike. It was restamped to go with the number in the original green book. This looks like a new book but is in fact a recycled one, just with one owners name registered in it. Just a FYI.

Sadly there are no hard fast rules over here like in our home country and one must get used to the system and its norms/quirks.

Best of luck.

Oct 12, 2005
If you want to see a XR400 2006 model with a legal book I have one. I am the first and only owner of the bike. I bought it from Joe's shop in Pattaya and he seems to have the right connections at the moment for registering. I only waited 2 months for the plate and book.
There you go. Hiko has managed apparently to get a legit book for a XR400. As he pointed out it is not a hard fast rule but over here more of a case of who's connected to get the proper paperwork submitted and pushed through. As Hiko stated Joe's in Pattaya seems to have things going his way. Great to see.

Another person that that I know of tried to get a legal plate through Joe's last year took almost 6 months.