Warnings: High season traffic

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
New Year 2008-2009.
The Thai govt has now declared Friday 2nd to be a holiday, so that means a 5-day break coming up.

Wed 31 - Thurs 1 - Frid 2 - Sat 3 - Sun 4th are all holidays.

Thousands of Bkk Thais will be on the road touring the cold North.

Unless you like football crowds & the accompanying traffic - STAY AWAY from
1. Phu Chi Fah & R1093
2. Doi Inthanon & R1009.
3. Mae Sai, you won't be able to see the bridge 'n border, let alone park within 2 kms of the place, even on a motorbike.

Their will be traffic jams on Inthanon & Phu Chi Fah! On R1009 for certain sections, traffic is one way for 30 minutes at a time. R1192 also gets to be one way for most of the day. You've been warned.

Also a reminder for Chinese New Year Jan 26th (at least in Pha Daeng) & the 4-5 days surrounding it.
On the positive side Chinese New Year is good to see Lisu New Year. Great places to go are
1. Wawi / Doi Chang
2. Soppong
3. R1150 Phrao - Wiang Pa Pao.

Nov 18, 2008
I got caught in New Years traffic on 1095 between Chiang Mai and Pai last year-100kms of cars!-and Thai tourism to Pai seems to be double what it was last year so be prepared for slow going this holiday season. Even last Friday there may have been 5km open patches between 50 car lines the length of 1095-no fun when you're used to open road most of the year. I live about 4 km out of Pai and it sometimes takes me 10 minutes or more to get the last 500 meters into town Thursday to Sunday nights. Tent camps on every open patch of river for kilometers out of town. There's been no planning for this level of vehicular traffic in this area so the winter holidays are becoming real nightmares for everyone but the merchants. So much for the quiet retirement to a remote part of Thailand. The world economic downturn may eventually reach Pai but there's no sign of that at this time. Enjoy your New Years holiday but prepare to have your patience tested if you're coming north on 1095.

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
DAvid,
How about the custom and imegesren at boarder,cos i will come out from laos(Thakek(Nakorn Phatom) on 2nd of January.and how about the transport from Bkk to Hatyai...any difficulity.
thanks for the information bro.

Nov 26, 2008
roaddhist wrote: I got caught in New Years traffic on 1095 between Chiang Mai and Pai last year-100kms of cars!-and Thai tourism to Pai seems to be double what it was last year so be prepared for slow going this holiday season. Even last Friday there may have been 5km open patches between 50 car lines the length of 1095-no fun when you're used to open road most of the year. I live about 4 km out of Pai and it sometimes takes me 10 minutes or more to get the last 500 meters into town Thursday to Sunday nights. Tent camps on every open patch of river for kilometers out of town. There's been no planning for this level of vehicular traffic in this area so the winter holidays are becoming real nightmares for everyone but the merchants. So much for the quiet retirement to a remote part of Thailand. The world economic downturn may eventually reach Pai but there's no sign of that at this time. Enjoy your New Years holiday but prepare to have your patience tested if you're coming north on 1095.
what do you think going from Chiang Mai to Pai on the 1st will be like? alot like 31st or less traffic ? also Pai to Mae Sot.. do you think it will be light on traffic from Pai onwards ??

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
burnjr wrote: DAvid,
How about the custom and imegesren at boarder,cos i will come out from laos(Thakek(Nakorn Phatom) on 2nd of January.and how about the transport from Bkk to Hatyai...any difficulity.
thanks for the information bro.
My guess is that they will probaby be shut - no ferries operating or Customs on duty.
Immigration ok, but my guess would be no ferries operating or Customs on duty = no vehicular access.
However the bridge at Savannaket going out of Laos might be ok.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
nakedAIR1300 wrote: [quote quote=roaddhist]I got caught in New Years traffic on 1095 between Chiang Mai and Pai last year-100kms of cars!-and Thai tourism to Pai seems to be double what it was last year so be prepared for slow going this holiday season. Even last Friday there may have been 5km open patches between 50 car lines the length of 1095-no fun when you're used to open road most of the year. I live about 4 km out of Pai and it sometimes takes me 10 minutes or more to get the last 500 meters into town Thursday to Sunday nights. Tent camps on every open patch of river for kilometers out of town. There's been no planning for this level of vehicular traffic in this area so the winter holidays are becoming real nightmares for everyone but the merchants. So much for the quiet retirement to a remote part of Thailand. The world economic downturn may eventually reach Pai but there's no sign of that at this time. Enjoy your New Years holiday but prepare to have your patience tested if you're coming north on 1095.
what do you think going from Chiang Mai to Pai on the 1st will be like? alot like 31st or less traffic ? also Pai to Mae Sot.. do you think it will be light on traffic from Pai onwards ??
NakedAIR1300
What do I think - it will suck big time! Convoys of mini buses, cars & inebriated Bkk drivers in a hurry.
Last year in Pai for new year they ran out of rooms - people had to sleep in temples or wherever. If you don't have any confirmed accomodation booked - then stay away from the MHS Loop in this 5-day break!

See
https://www.gt-rider.com/traffic-roads.html
HOLIDAYS
The roads can be busy during holidays or festival times.
The busiest periods of the year are:
1. New Year. Last week December - first week January.
2. Chinese New year. One week, usually in February.
3. Thai New Year, Songkran. One week around April 13 - 15.
4. Loy Krathong festival. One week around full moon in November.
Due to the volume of traffic on the road and heavy accommodation bookings, these periods are not the best times for touring.

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
David,
My guess is that they will probaby be shut - no ferries operating or Customs on duty.
Immigration ok, but my guess would be no ferries operating or Customs on duty = no vehicular access.
However the bridge at Savannaket going out of Laos might be ok.

Thanks for info bro..