Water Filters

Oct 26, 2009
Im in the process of getting some equipment together for touring into neighboring countries and locally within Thailand.
One of the items high on my list is a water filter. Never had one before and already been in a few situations where ive ran out of water!
Ive found a Thai camping website who seem to have a good selection:

MSR SweetWater Purifier System 3,800 Baht
msr_sweetsystem.jpg

MSR MiniWorks MicroFilter 3,500 Baht
msr_miniworks.jpg

MSR HyperFlow Microfilter 3,800 Baht
msr_hyperflow.jpg

Has anyone had any experiences with these or alternatives? How effective are they in the jungle?
I understand filters can remove alot of the essential minerals that our bodies require. Are there additives that can be added to the water after it has been filtered?

Nov 2, 2008
I would go for the HyperFlow, it's so light and small you'll have no excuse not to pack it. Can you order water treatment tablets or chlorine dioxide drops from the same site?

I do know that don't work if you don't use them properly, as testified by a friend who had to sit out 2 days with toilet trouble, only to hike back out after that. We think it was a case of either forcing the pump too fast or not using iodine tablets like the rest of us. No experience with Jungle water treatment, just West Coast NA pristine waters that could make the unprepared drinker very sick.

Dec 27, 2007
MSR makes excellent filters and is a top choice for hikers and campers but as mentioned, always good to add a few drops of iodine or chlorine to the filtered water just to be safe. I've only used them in temperate climes, never in the tropics, but imagine they should still perform. Carry some electrolyte powder to replace lost minerals and to cover the taste of the iodine / chlorine. Ride On! T

Oct 26, 2009
Yep need to get some of those iodine tablets.
Just so happend went into the Archery place to pick up my Leatherman and they had in stock the MSR Hyperflow. It's really compact and easy to use. Done a bit of research and it seems to be a good piece of kit. Can't wait to try it out in anger. Picked up a nice LED head light from this place too.

Oct 26, 2009
Heading North on the Mahidol Road towards the South West corner of the Moat there is a golf course/driving range on the left (not the driving range by the Airport Plaza). Head left into this golf complex and it's in there you can't miss it once your in. There a large green sign "Archery" before you turn into this soi on the Mahidol Road. Hope these directions are ok! I'd put a google map photo up but I don't have PC access at the moment. It's got a few odds and sods but I think they get most of their stuff from this place in BKK which is quite good:
http://www.thailandoutdoor.com/OutdoorShop/OutdoorShop.html

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks Johnny, directions are clear.. I will go check it out, never been able to resist boys outdoor stuff.