Where Apply For A Carnet De Passage En Douanes ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Jomtien, Oct 16, 2017.

  1. I am dreaming about a 3 months trip with my Thaï registered bike in Australia next year.
    Australian's custom ask for a carnet de passage en douanes or the bike will be denied on arrival.
    Is there somebody who know where to apply for this carnet in Thaïland and if a falang can be an applicant.
    Thanks .
  2. Please keep us informed about your progress in getting a Carnet and the shipping of the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I will do .
    For the moment I sent some e-mail to Australia asking if it could be possible to give a deposit in cash to the custom at arrival and have a refund when leaving the country if it's impossible to obtain a Carnet.
    Wait and see.
    I have no worries about the shipping as I live near Laem Chabang and there is a lot of shipping from there to Australia .my idea is laem chabang-Fremantle then Queensland-laem chang on the way back 3 months later , Ro-Ro or in cargo container.
    Another concern is to obtain a 4 or 5 months temporary export permit from the Thaï administration as the standart is 30 days ,but I bet with the help of a good lawyer it can be obtained.
  4. Thailand have "International" registration. Most trucks will have it. Never seen it on a Motorcycle.
    With those you can be out of the country for one year. You need to verify this..
    I guess you need plates in English, just as Malaysia require it.
  5. Hi Oddvar,
    I guess you are speaking about the "pink car passport" named International transport permit .
    But this is not a Carnet and is not valid for an Australian temporary import ,as far as I know.
    Have a nice day.
  6. I shipped my Dyna from Vancouver to Sydney. Carnet definitely required. Other than that - you must ensure that no wood is used in crating, and that the bike is CLEAN !!! No dirt, no mud, no seeds, no animals hitching a ride. They looked over mine with a fine tooth comb, flashlight and mirror, to get in all the crevices, like under the fuel tank, in front of the rear fender, underneath the chain guard, etc. I spent a whole day in the HD dealer taking things off, cleaning, and putting them back on. They found nothing, took their one copy and I was good to go.
  7. Good point - the bike need to be CLEAN! If not quarantine officers will order it sprayed - and you will have to pay for it. And you will lose valuable days in this process.

    I spent 4 days on my knees at a backpackers in Dili East-Timor from dawn to dusk armed with toothbrushes amongst others to get my bike really clean and one more day to clean my gear.
    Luckily I got through quarantine inspection without any issues.
  8. Hi,
    I had a reply from the Australian's customs today.
    Good news.
    "If you can't obtain a carnet you can temporarily import your bike under the section 162 of the customs Act."
    That mean a security will be asked and refunded when living the country.
    But I will have to ask three more questions :
    About the paperwork ,it's not clear if it have to be done on arrival or before the shipping.
    About the security amount ,if I understood well it could be the amount of tax you are supposed to pay if you import the vehicle ( 20% of the value for a motorcycle ,as far as I know ).
    And as the laws seem different for one state to another one I need to know if a deposit at fremantle can be refunded at Brisbane .
    I will keep you informed if some one are interessed in.
  9. 20% of the current value? That is bit optimistic in my opinion but excellent news if true.

    I have spoken to number of RTW riders, all of them (from Dubai, Chile, USA, Malaysia) had to pay full price as per valuation of the country where carnet was issued. The value really depends on country, goes between 10% to 600%!

    Malaysia is quite expensive but carnet issued in Canada for non-Canadian registered vehicles seems to be very popular choice. My friend from Chile did this while in Miami and traveled happily around the world. Keep in mind bond price goes up if you state intention to ride in Africa.
  10. What's wrong with just buying a bike in Oz. Riding it around for 3 months & selling it back to the dealer. Easier & probably not much more costly?
  11. I have recent experience organising a Carnet. I arranged for 8 riders, self included to ride/race Sepang circuit last December, 2016. I purchased the Carnet from the Victorian Chamber of Commerce for $425 I think. What followed was a little tedious and the lady I was dealing with was a bit radical.
    We itemised, labelled and valued all we were shipping. The lady initially wanted everything noted, every screw driver, ring spanner, nut, bolt and stubby cooler. Toward the end, tool box, red, with assorted tools did the trick. Vin numbers, make , model, year of the bikes were important as they were the money items. When the literally dozens of pages were submitted, there was a total value. Our was $100,00 or so. At this point there were several options as the Carnet requires a surety, it can be a cash sum, a bank guarantee or a one off surety payment based on the declared value. The later suited us. It was something like 1.25% of the value, which came out to just under $1200 in total.
    Once the Carnet was paid for, it was sent to me. It contained in our case, 4 pages, export/ import for Australia and the other 2, in and out of Malaysia.
    I had Oz customs sign there bit and the remainder of the Carnet was sent by courier to our shipping agent in KL. And that was largely the last we saw of it until the bikes got back home 3 months later.
    I got customs to sign off the reimport into Australia and I then surrendered the documents back to the Vic Chamber. The last bit is very important.
    I look like doing it again later next year for another visit to Sepang. And it will be a lot easier I'm sure.
    Cheers Wazza
  12. Hi ,
    Sorry for the delayed reply but I'm still trying to organize everything ,and it's not so easy.

    Yes David it could be an option but with no address in Oz pretty difficult to register a vehicule.
    And as I'm short I will have some problem to find a bike which suit me .
    I plan to buy a CB 500 X for this trip and I should low the bike to fell comfortable ,reshape the seat and lowering the suspension ,at least 6 cm at all.

    For the carnet it could be Ok without ,as I can deposit a security to the Australian custom.

    For the temporary export of the bike I will go next week to the transportation office in Chonburi and try to have a definitive answer about a 4 or 5 months ( shipping time included ) temporary export as most of the advice I heard are 30 days maximum for a bike .
    If someone here obtain more I would be happy to know how.

    For the shipping ,seem not so easy too ,I sent e-mail to a dozen shipping companies ,only two replies : we are not able to provide such shipping.

    Being a little bored with so much difficulties for only a 3 months trip in a civilized country I'm working during the same time in a plan B.
    Shipping my French registered bike from France to Australia.
    No problem for the carnet.
    No problem for the temporary export ,nobody care how long you travel with your vehicle in our European countries.
    No problem for the shipping ,the first company I got in touch sent me a quote in two days ( France to Oz ).
    Of course it's more expensive than I could expect from a Thailand-Oz shipping but affordable.
  13. Hi Wazza,
    Thanks for your reply.
    But I got in touch with the president of a motorcyclist club in Oz and his opinion was no way an Australian Club or service can provide me a carnet for a Thaï registered bike.
  14. You could ride your bike to Malaysia & ship it from KL or Penang.
    Send the guys at Sunny Cycle in KL a message.

    Sunny Cycle

    Ask them for advice are shipping & the Carnet.
    They are the regional experts for touring & servicing RTW bikes.
  15. He was dead right. I did it on behalf of a group of riders, that happened to be part of the same club. I did it
    through an organisation that is able to issue ATA Carnet.
    Don't believe for a moment it is easy or straightforward, unless you pay a shipping agent. And not many of them have a great knowledge, as in general, the paperwork they receive only concern customs import and they may just be delivery boys/girls.
    We used Pentagon Freight, who are pretty handy, have offices almost anywhere oil is dug up.

Share This Page