Where to buy valve shims in hua hin or BKK

Oct 27, 2009
Started work on a second hand cbr 400 i bought, what a mess, 3 different carb jet sizes and the valve clearances are out by miles.

Anyways as the title says, does anyone know where i can buy or have made valve shims from 200-340 microns in hua hin or BKK, although i've tryed most of hua hins bike shops so i guess it will be BKK.

Thanks in advance

Mark Nutley

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I've had a hard time trying to find a mechanic in a Honda shop who knows what valve shims for my CBR150R are! Found one who knew where those things go; he told me they don't have them, can't get them.

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
Boxes of various valve shims are available on Ebay, which might be your best bet. I am assuming your clearances are too tight, you can surface grind them on a face plate with lapping paste, it does a while though. I think you may have the sizes wrong, 200-340 microns? The average human hair is 100 microns, they might be 2mm-3.4mm. They usually go by the diameter and then from about 2mm thickness up.
Regards
Jim

Nov 17, 2009
Question is if none of these bike shops sells or even knows what valve shims are how can they do a decent service?. I think I've just answered my own question.

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
Yes you did just answer your own question, very hard to get a decent service anywhere. If the shims are on top of the buckets you need a special tool to compress the valve springs and slide the shim out. If they are underneath you need to remove the camshafts. Not something you would let your average bike shop loose on.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I've seen local "mechanics" adjusting the valves on a diesel engine with their fingers - it's all in the fingers!
Lots of posters want Kawasaki to bring in the KLR650; if they do, I hope they train their mechanics right since as far as I recall the cams need to be removed to get to the shims, as Tubber mentioned.

Oct 17, 2006
I had a load of Honda manuals in Thai and gave them too a thai mechanic who burned them in a skip!!!!!!!! he is an ignorant peasant and unfortunately many local mechanics are that way ...DIY or get lucky with your mechanic.