Yamaha Super Tenere 750...Views

Jul 17, 2005
During my travels this week I dropped onto a Super Tenere 750 (new import) 97 model ,great condition.Guy wants 120k plus Quoting 70k for a plate.Would like some feed-back on this model plus whether price sounds OK. My experience is with cruisers and sports bikes so any clues re these dual purpose Yamaha much appreciated.

Mar 11, 2004
With a plate all up 190K it seem a bit expensive for a '97 bike and in my opinion the TDM "should" be a better bike. For a start there is many more of them around therefore parts more esaily obtainable.

Jul 17, 2005
Thanks Peter ,I hear what you say,This particular bike is in very impressive original condition (21K mileage on clock)and comparing the price with what I see around Chiang Mai it seemed ok but as your in the biz your advise is appreciated. What about the 70k for a plate for a 750-800 cc ,is that the going rate?

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
I paid 60k for a 900cc bike plate 2 years ago. Your figure is in the ballpark.

But, is your guy guaranteeing a plate? How long will it take?

Will the book and plate be a new one for that bike, or will he recycle an old book and change the frame numbers?

And, what happens if he cannot deliver? Will he buy the bike back?

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Jul 17, 2005
Thats the $64 question Bob,am wondering whether they could use the plate and book off my Bros, it would be cheaper for me

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Using a book and plate from a Honda 650 for a Yamaha 750?

I think that the Thais might catch that one.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."