Zongshen Ryuka ZS150GY-10C fly, now in Thailand.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
I spotted these two Zongshen Ryuka ZS150GY-10C FLY motards, (now there's a mouthful)
in a Chiang Rai motor bike shop yesterday.
They were 69000 baht.
I dont know what they would be like, but the overall finish looks pretty good.

china003.jpg

china004.jpg

china011.jpg

china006.jpg

china008.jpg

china010.jpg

china009.jpg

Moto-Rex

Nov 2, 2008
Good deal, we're quoted 76,000 B at the shop down the road, and across, from Richco.

Electric and kick start is nice.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Wonderfull pictures, but now who will be the Courageous one who will dare to try it and report over month (or days....) ?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
DSC08678.jpg
[/url]

Colin i think that is similar SALES tecnique what i had in previouse JAPANESE shop,,
It was stated that this item was PRODUCED in Japand, but actally itme was made in countires like China,N.Korea,Vietna or India....

In Carb it say's Standard of Japan,
I think carb is still made in China.

They been actually in Sisaket and Ubon on sale now about 3months already, and yes i havent seen any of them on the road.

Dec 27, 2007
These Ryukas are for sale in many Big C shopping centers in Bangkok. Have yet to see one on the road....

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Once again, wonderfull pictures, but now who will be the Courageous one who will dare to try it and report over month (or days....) ?

For the carb and having spent some time in Japan, I do not recognise the spelling...Hummm SHENG WEY doen't look too Japanese but it's allways fancy to put JAPAN on it ... The famous Japanese Quality (even if a bit schaked at present with the Toyota recalls) but OK...

I would have seen a MIKUNI or a TAKEGAWA but SHENG WEY ???

But OK, let's see...

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
The Carb is Produced by "Sheng Wey" a Chinese Company! The Writing simply States "Standard of Japan" How You interpret this is up to You but definitely Made in China. The Bike is actually a Great looking Toy for that Price I would like to have a Go but won't Buy one to Test it. Style and Build Quality looks fine and if My Pantera's were anything to go by they would be Reliable and Great Value for Money!!! Makes Me Wonder How they Get a Plate with the New Rules Regarding Bikes, Fuel Injection and Emissions???
Someone is obviously well connected :idea:

Nov 7, 2007
One thing I have learned in Thailand is that if something says "made in Japan" it's pretty much guaranteed to be made in China by a Chinese company. If it's an original part it will say "made in China".

As for the bike - as long as Chinese made bikes are as bad as they are now, I am not interested. In case this brand is the one glorious exceptions to the rule, I am quite happy to wait for the rave reviews pouring in.

It's not that Chinese factories can't make quality products, it's just that the default attitude is that they just don't care. It's the mindset. Even Chinese will say that, it's not a secret.

Talked to a Platinum owner - his frame had broken three times. He said the chance he'd make it back home on any trip out was about 60%. And there's my friend's JRD which had nothing but troubles for one year, and then caught on fire.

If you buy a Chinese bike you need a love for mechanics and a sense of adventure.

Dec 27, 2007
Ian Bungy wrote: Style and Build Quality looks fine and if My Pantera's were anything to go by they would be Reliable and Great Value for Money!!!
Cheers Ian,

Not familiar with the "Pantera". Are they made in China? Sounds like you've had good luck with them but I've never heard of this brand. Are they available in Thailand? Tell us more!
Happy Trails,
Tony

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
NIKSTER

PLATINUM IS CHINA MADE RUBBISH. JRD IS THAI MADE RUBBISH. THE FACTORY IS AT SADEO CLOSE TO THE MALAYSIAN BORDER.

"JAPAN STANDARD'' ETC IS USED BY MANY FACTORIES TO GIVE A DIFFERENT "COUNTRY" IMAGE OTHER THAN THE REAL.

IF YOU LOOK ON THE NEW TRIUMPHS THERE USED TO BE A BADGET SAYING MADE IN BRITAIN. NOW IT SAYS DESIGNED IN BRITAIN. WHY....

NOKIA THE FINNISH TELEPHONE MAKER HAVE FOUND A CREATIVE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. THEY DON'T WRITE ANY MORE "MADE IN FINLAND" OR "MADE IN CHINA" ETC NOW THEY WRITE "MADE BY NOKIA" IN ALL PHONES.

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE PRODUCT IS MADE LOOK FOR THE BAR-CODE ON THE PACKAGE.THE 3 FIRST DIGITS WILL TELL YOU THE COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2007
HIKO wrote: NIKSTER

PLATINUM IS CHINA MADE RUBBISH. JRD IS THAI MADE RUBBISH. THE FACTORY IS AT SADEO CLOSE TO THE MALAYSIAN BORDER.

"JAPAN STANDARD'' ETC IS USED BY MANY FACTORIES TO GIVE A DIFFERENT "COUNTRY" IMAGE OTHER THAN THE REAL.

IF YOU LOOK ON THE NEW TRIUMPHS THERE USED TO BE A BADGET SAYING MADE IN BRITAIN. NOW IT SAYS DESIGNED IN BRITAIN. WHY....

NOKIA THE FINNISH TELEPHONE MAKER HAVE FOUND A CREATIVE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. THEY DON'T WRITE ANY MORE "MADE IN FINLAND" OR "MADE IN CHINA" ETC NOW THEY WRITE "MADE BY NOKIA" IN ALL PHONES.

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE PRODUCT IS MADE LOOK FOR THE BAR-CODE ON THE PACKAGE.THE 3 FIRST DIGITS WILL TELL YOU THE COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE.

HIKO
Hi Hiko,

Isn't JRD Malaysian made?
Platinum is thai assembled of chinese components if i remember correctly...but you're right both are of poor quality ...

I can't "Out" any manufacturing location...it really depends if the QC is strict and enforced, than you can get good products "made in china" too.
How to know or to find out which undergoes a good QC???Thats the big question.

happy trails

mbox

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
JRD must be Thai made because there is big JRD factoryon the right hand approx 50 kmbeforethe Sadeo Malaysia border. It is supposed tobe ownedby Malaysian Chinese people.

Hiko

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
TonyBKK wrote: These Ryukas are for sale in many Big C shopping centers in Bangkok. Have yet to see one on the road....
Ian imported a few of these Panteras for the X-Centre to use... CHinese XR200s really... without the Honda price tag and refinement...

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t2436.html

Ask Ian about it some time, he loves talking about it, especially the emisions testing stuff... he loved every minute of it...

Apr 10, 2006
Judging by how tiny the throttle slide in that carb appears to be the bike's intake must be well and truly strangled, so the emissions will be pretty low I'd imagine. That slide looks about the same size as those on the Honda C50's I used to thrash about as a kid.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
My Pantera's are a Copy of the XR230 or in some Countrys called the CRF230. Engine is 230cc but it is quite a Tall Bike. Engine is Fine and Has been Thrashed everyday since New with No Major Problems!!! Only thing I could really Complain about is Soft Suspension and the Plastics get Brittle and Break easy! They are easy to Replace but then You have to Import replacements!!! All in All they have been Great Value for Money for Us so No Complaints. Chinese Products are Improving every Year so I wouldn't be surprised if one Day they have some Real Contenders :wink:
They Already Produce the Odes 450cc which is Basically a Copy of the 2006 Honda CRF450X, Even Has Ohlins Suspension!!!
Odes 450 Motocross Version being Raced in Australia as We Speak!!!
Odes450MotocrossSmall.jpg

They Also Make Street Legal Road Going Versions.
Odes 450 Enduro!
Odes450EnduroSmall.jpg

Odes 450 Super Motard!
Odes450MotardSmall.jpg

Now I have been in Contact with the Factory and had actually Finalised a Trial Order of 3 then decided against it after Considering the Anal Emission Laws and Ridiculous Tax and Registration Requirements. I am Sure it Would Be a Fun Bike and a LOT CHEAPER than anything else but Where could We Ride it without a Plate??? Better Just Buy what we can and Let the Sellers Jump through all the Hoops and Deal with all the Crap :roll: Have a Great Day!!!

Jul 28, 2004
Update from the Philippines: This bike is sold here under the Motostar brand-name as the moto-x 155 at between 59 and 65,000 pesos, much cheaper than in Thailand.Build quality is fatr better than expected and is actually a really nice bike. It is half the price of the locally assembled air-cooled Honda xr200 which is now pegged at a ridiculous 140,000 pesos.
Provided you stay on top of the maintenance from the get-go it is a great bike aand great value for money. Seems some Chinese product quality is indeed on the up and up!
I am very happy with mine, having always had Japanese products previously!

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Barry Neves;280466 wrote: Provided you stay on top of the maintenance from the get-go it is a great bike aand great value for money.
What does that mean? If you pick up the parts that fall off and bolt them back on, replace the parts that break and never ride without a good set of tools - then it's a good bike?

Sorry, but I rather pay a bit more and have a reliable bike with a decent resale value. I've owned a JRD for a year and told myself: never anything again that's not made in Japan.

Friend of mine had a Platinum 175 which fell apart right from the start. Broke down in the boonies, he spent time fixing it, missed appointments because it didn't start. Lots of headaches. After only 5000km it's sitting in the garage, can't get rid of it for 10,000 baht.

I buy cheap computers, refrigerators and phones, but when it comes to bikes I want to have fun with a quality product and I don't mind shelling out a bit more for a Japanese product!

I'd definitely buy a used Jap over a new Chinese.

The only good thing about the Ryuka 150 is that maybe it makes Honda realize that there is a market for a 150cc supermoto...

Jul 28, 2004
@KZ25 - LOL! Yes, I know where you are coming from. Had some misgivings myself but surprisingly the bike has been fine from the get-go! As Ian Bungy remarks, the Chinese bikes are starting to show signs of improvement. Having had a Kymco a few years back that literally dissolved before my eyes this is a far better piece of kit. And who knows, I remember the derision we used to show towards Japanese bikes early in my riding career and they sure improved.
Basically, in the Philippines the only real alternative is the Honda XR200 (which I just sold). Although carrying the Honda name, only the engine comes from Japan and that is a 20 yr old air-cooled design. The bike is actually assembled in the Phils and build quality is pretty poor. As the XR retails for 141,000 pesos and the Zongshen goes for 62,000 I am more than happy with it for its main purpose as a run around. Goes without saying though that I shall remain loyal to the Japanese when it comes to my big touring bikes for a while yet!