2013 Honda CBR500/CB500R/CB500X

Jul 15, 2012
Is there any requirement you need 600baht a litre oil. I mean this is as plain jane engine as you can get. I would be putting in the cheapest safe oil available.

Jul 15, 2012
Lakota;289168 wrote: I'm having mt cb500x serviced tomorrow in Chiang Mai. I had heard that was the price 3200 baht. at first I was alarmed but I've now got used to price.
did you see what they did during the service ? . I'm going to camp out in the service bay ;-)

I believe they put synthetic Oil in , 3 litres of the stuff and it's good for 12,000 Kilometers . still steep for a first service though
Did they use a torque wrench on you oil drain plug?

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
They offered something else. I didn't look at it as it was only a few hundred baht cheaper. you could try taking your own I guess but I doub't they'd go for it.
They offered me a can of Veloil Chain Lube, 100 baht. The reason was so they could lubricate the chain during the service. I said I didn't like the stuff as it picks up too much dirt, and could they just use some 'free' Oil . They used some Oil from the little bike service place around the corner. Free.

I guess it's all about making money with these people.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, he had some nice tools to be honest. used them well. he was a nice Guy. Bullshit starts with the Sales team and management

Sep 13, 2010
I've had mine (F, not X, but close enough) a couple of weeks, but sadly been too busy to put more than 200kms on it. I looked at the X, but I was too tall for it. The shape of the seat contour pushed me too far forward. The F fits me much better.

My-CB500F-01.jpg

My-CB500F-06.jpg

Sep 4, 2007
Congratulations on the new bike, looks very smart in that colour scheme. I had the same experience as you when I sat on the 3 models, the F was the most comfortable for arm position, and I like the simplicity for service etc, not being covered in plastic fairings. Nearly everyone up here in Chiang Mai was raving only about the X model, so I am happy to hear that I am not the only one that likes the F. Hope you get some time to run up a few more Km soon

Oct 17, 2006
all the magazines and reviewers in UK are saying this is a japanese quality bike from Thailand , same as the triumph bonneville and better than Kwak er6 on finish

Nov 27, 2012
On the service issue, at the first service I insisted they use 4t oil as I could not get the quality oil where I lived. Cost of service 1800. On driving it I felt the gear change was much more "clunky", and am looking into using the G3 oil if I can get hold of it.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
The Australian Motor Cycle news didn't quite do there homework, there are some slight differences. front forks an inch longer, bigger tank, slightly more upright seating position and different Tyres, Scorpion Trails. Slight differences Granted. The Bike is what is is. it will be great for the Roads we encounter in northern Thailand and that's why I bought the CB500X.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Mines "Clunkly" with the G3 Too. I would be interested to know what Oil it had in delivered from the factory. I suspect and hope normal 4T not some special running in Oil or something.

I keep labouring the point and it will be a pain for you Thai Appologists but my bikes running around with about a third of a Litre of the original Oil out of the Original Oil Filter (nice place to get your used Oil) so the new 2.5 litre of nice synthetic gets mixed with this Shite and was a complete waste of time. Given the choice I would have taken my chances without the OIl Change. mai pen Lie I hear you say :smile1:

It should be a Capital offence

Dec 27, 2007
Lakota;289252 wrote: Mines "Clunkly" with the G3 Too. I would be interested to know what Oil it had in delivered from the factory. I suspect and hope normal 4T not some special running in Oil or something.

I keep labouring the point and it will be a pain for you Thai Appologists but my bikes running around with about a third of a Litre of the original Oil out of the Original Oil Filter (nice place to get your used Oil) so the new 2.5 litre of nice synthetic gets mixed with this Shite and was a complete waste of time. Given the choice I would have taken my chances without the OIl Change. mai pen Lie I hear you say :smile1:

It should be a Capital offence
If I understand you correctly, they changed the oil but not the filter?! How odd... What's up with that?!

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Everything's up with it Tonybkk. especially with the extended Oil change intervals.

obviously have no concept of what they are doing the Oil change for in the first place. they did change it after I insisted and the conversation got heated but by then it was too late. The Oil in the filter had most likely mixed with the new Oil.

Nov 27, 2012
With regards to which oil was delivered I am assuming it was the G3 as the gear-change in the 1st 1000km felt better than the gear change with the 4t I insisted. It is only "I feel" the oil was G3, I don't know for sure. The mechanic showed me the parts, oil and filter, that he was going to use in the service - I didn't stay and watch - they wanted 2 hours. This was Honda Bigwing Pattaya.

Sep 8, 2009
Regarding Honda bigwing; Yes they wanted my bike 2 hours, I ask what U do in that 2 hrs, ie; change oil & filter, check A/filter, check valve clearance, I queried valve clearance .(shims). thats when he walked away, so did I, On the way home I made my mind up, had oil & filter in stock, (same filter as G/Wing 1800,W800,ST1100) on arrival home dropped oil & filter, replaced sump plug with magnet one.... sorted... papa said to me when he was servicing his Sunbeam S7 if you want something done properly son, do it your self !! more so in Thailand ... Had bad experience with Barcelona regarding my K1200LT !! ... Ride Safe :

Dec 27, 2007
Eddie The Eagle;289327 wrote: Regarding Honda bigwing; Yes they wanted my bike 2 hours, I ask what U do in that 2 hrs, ie; change oil & filter, check A/filter, check valve clearance, I queried valve clearance .(shims). thats when he walked away, so did I, On the way home I made my mind up, had oil & filter in stock, (same filter as G/Wing 1800,W800,ST1100) on arrival home dropped oil & filter, replaced sump plug with magnet one.... sorted... papa said to me when he was servicing his Sunbeam S7 if you want something done properly son, do it your self !! more so in Thailand ... Had bad experience with Barcelona regarding my K1200LT !! ... Ride Safe :

Indeed, if you want something done right, do it yourself!

Didn't you mention that they wanted to charge the outrageous sum of 3200 baht for the first service? First service is just oil and filter and a general check of the bike right? Checking the valvel clearances should come later and if everything is in spec shouldn't cost much as you're only paying for labor.

3200 baht is taking the piss for a made-in-Thailand bike imo.

First service for a Kwacka 650 is around ~900 baht if I remember correctly. That's a filter, 2 quarts of Shell semi-synth oil, and a general check of the bike.

Nov 21, 2010
At service-checks for both car & bike I never leave the car or bike. I look what they do and if the price seems too expensive I ask for an specification. They could be using expensive oil (big profit). You can use oil at 300thb/litre or at 900thb/litre. And with a full 3litre that adds up.

For the Versys I have the service/dealer-manual that exactly tells what should be done at an certain service-check, what should be replaced, what should be checked and what tools you should be using for it (and how you should use those tools).

Sep 8, 2009
The more I think about it makes me grind my teeth... 3200 Baht = £67 for the first 1000k = 600miles service ... Yes Mr T that is taking the Piss big time ... DIY service cost ... 3 Lt castrol 20-40 = 360 Baht + Hifo o/filter 250 Baht + magnetic sump plug 250 Baht (optional) = Total 860 Baht ... just checked the service book that came with the bike, check valve (shims) @ 24,000 Ks ... NOW that a big different from 1,000 Ks ... Now that's a rip off !!! ...
I spent almost 30 years in the m/c business & & never heard so much horlicks in my life regarding servicing m/c in Thailand ... TiT

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
There was definately no valve check at 1000k on my bike. I'm not even sure they checked the Air filter. from what I can see on the bill the labour was only a few hundred baht. Almost all the cost goes for the synthetic Oil, and then they mix it with some shite out of the old Oil Filter.

I'm still Livid. it's not as though I'm anal about my bikes but this is wrong on every level. makes my blood Boil .

It's good to smile you say, there'll be no smiles from me in that place ever, bunch of Cowboys or worse

Do you have a service book in english ?

Sep 8, 2009
Lakota;289340 wrote: There was definately no valve check at 1000k on my bike. I'm not even sure they checked the Air filter. from what I can see on the bill the labour was only a few hundred baht. Almost all the cost goes for the synthetic Oil, and then they mix it with some shite out of the old Oil Filter.

I'm still Livid. it's not as though I'm anal about my bikes but this is wrong on every level. makes my blood Boil .

It's good to smile you say, there'll be no smiles from me in that place ever, bunch of Cowboys or worse

Do you have a service book in english ?
Sorry my s/book in Thai too, however.. page 15.. 7 down, I= inspection ... P.S. The only thing in Thai is the price :-(

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
brake034;289379 wrote: I think Changnoi referred to a Versys manual, you can download a version here: http://www.serviceownermanual.com/2009--2012---versys-abs not free!
Think the Honda CB500 service manual is not available for the private owner yet........

Possibly. But really, "try Google", what a novel idea. I have a service manual for my other bikes too, but I thought the name of this topic was "Re: 2013 Honda CBR500/CB500R/CB500X". I know they are not available yet. Perhaps Changnoi could respond himself.

Nov 27, 2012
re the manual. I got an email from Honda Bkk saying that they were in the process of translating the manuals and that they should be available in the showrooms this month - April.

Nov 21, 2010
I did google and I found that on http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php is at least something that looks like it is the owners manual of the CBR500R and the CB500F. Must say indeed I did not (yet) find the service manual. I thought that somewhere on the Honda (Japanese) is an section where you can buy all manuals?

I do think it is highly unlikely that Honda designs & produces a motorbike with intention to sell it worldwide and does not have the owners & service manuals in English (and other languages) BEFORE they start selling the motorbikes. Actually most times the manuals are about 6 months older as the official production date of the motorbike.

Chang Noi

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Changnoi1;289403 wrote: I did google and I found that on http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php is at least something that looks like it is the owners manual of the CBR500R and the CB500F. Must say indeed I did not (yet) find the service manual. I thought that somewhere on the Honda (Japanese) is an section where you can buy all manuals?

I do think it is highly unlikely that Honda designs & produces a motorbike with intention to sell it worldwide and does not have the owners & service manuals in English (and other languages) BEFORE they start selling the motorbikes. Actually most times the manuals are about 6 months older as the official production date of the motorbike.

Chang Noi
So, not so "simple" as you stated then? I prefer to see posts stating facts not guesses.