2020 Gtr Mhs Memorial Ride # 12

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Insurance: With a bigger group going this year we would like to remind all riders about accident insurance should you be riding uninsured.
The person we use & recommend for insurance is Ms Mon

Get yourself the best 3rd party coverage, if not first class.
You never know when something happens, it is not your fault, but you end up hitting someone else & have to pay.

Apr 16, 2011
I hope you all have a great ride for this years mhs Memorial ride, i wish that i could be back country for the ride but i won't be back in time.
Have a great ride and enjoy the weekend

Reactions: DKT Dave

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The spirit & soul of the event

The GTR Rider MHS Memorial Ride started out to celebrate the life of two riding buddies Tropical John Hamilton & Simon Grant.

These two guys were actually yachties & lived in Phuket, but every year they rode up to Chiang Mai & did a motorcycle tour of the North.

Inevitably they hooked up with the GT Rider gang hanging out at the Kafe & the Xcentre, and we all became good mates who enjoyed each others company & trips together.

TJ unexpectedly died from a tumour in 2008 & a year later it was time for the annual ride north for Simon, but alone. One of the best times ever in his life, was the ride to MHS with TJ.

He didn’t want to do it alone because it wouldn’t be the same without TJ, his best mate, so Simon invited the GTR rider guys to join him in a ride to MHS to celebrate the good times he had with TJ.

A date was pencilled in a couple of months ahead; & Simon flew up to Chiang Rai to buy an Africa Twin to ride a big bike with the GTR guys on his trip. He safely rode the AT from Mae Sai back to Phuket in 2 days, but a week later we got a message from Phuket – Simon had been killed on his bike, a hit & run!

We were all stunned, but vowed then that we would have an annual GTR Ride together to MHS in honour of TJ & Simon.

There were just a few of us on that first ride, but over the years the ride grew in numbers and bonded more of us together. Our mateship & camaraderie always grew each time on the memorial rides, remembering all the roads we had ridden together & places we had been with our departed mates.
The ride itself really got to mean something.

Over the years then, more guys have been added to the chedi & we keep riding to pay homage to them.
As more guys joined, the riders developed more camaraderie along the way.

The ceremonies at both the GTR Chedi & the temple are crucial to the event and all riders are requested to attend them, to maintain the respect for the event.

The event now has a soul, it’s not just a group of bikers going to a piss up, and should be regarded highly by all those participating.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Reminder - Buffet Breakfast at the Salween

Breakfast at the Salween for the GTR MHS Memorial ride costs 200 baht.
Pay in advance and you receive a breakfast ticket for the buffet brekky.
The GTR breakfast hours at Salween are from 7am - 11am.
No ticket no service until after 11am.

RhwkXSZbgUcKHCRdJluBRwqjSt619DbwuITEv8VNXOEw&_nc_ohc=AuaItyHdQ2gAX8cQpum&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk3-3.jpg

Reactions: DKT Dave

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Post Ride T-shirts

Do we have anymore post ride T-shirt orders?

upload_2020-9-24_0-18-17-png-png.png

1. Robert Hoghead 1 x M
2. JJones 2 x L
3. Eric Robinson 1 x L
4. Eric Robinson 1 x M
5. David Lek 1 x L
6. David Lek 1 x XS
7. Nang Salween 1 x M
8. Grahame E 1 x M
9. Neung XL
10. George 1 x M
11. Darunee 1 x S
12. Stephen Coon 1 x 4XL
13. Dave Caselton 1 x 2XL
14. Dave DKT 1 x XL

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Post Ride T-shirts

Do we have anymore post ride T-shirt orders?

View attachment 138141

1. Robert Hoghead 1 x M
2. JJones 2 x L
3. Eric Robinson 1 x L
4. Eric Robinson 1 x M
5. David Lek 1 x L
6. David Lek 1 x XS
7. Nang Salween 1 x M
8. Grahame E 1 x M
9. Neung XL
10. George 1 x M
11. Darunee 1 x S
12. Stephen Coon 1 x 4XL
13. Dave Caselton 1 x 2XL
14. Dave DKT 1 x XL

Finally got the last batch of shirts.
They will go out Kerry Express on Monday.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Hi David I had forgotten all about the Tshirts after the ride. Is it still possible to get the shirts? Thanks

I did you send you an email from off the forum, but got no reply.
I was able to move one of them, but have one L Left for you if you would like to make payment.
I've sent you my bank account details by PM.
Then I need to know where to send the shirt to - Mr Mechanic?