2020 Honda Africa Twin Recall

jayjay

Oct 15, 2020
Honda Africa Twin Recall.jpg

Today I received a letter below and its been on the cards in America but now come to life worldwide of the Honda Adventure Sports (some 2018-2019 and the new 2020 Africa twin) Fuel contamination from welding slag that could clog up the fuel filter and stall the bike.

Going forward I dare say it but the fuel tank has to be removed and the fuel pump assembly pulled fuel tank flushed and new filter fitted, sounds easy well no the AT does not have a user friendly way of removing much and I had a bad experience here at my local Honda dealer with the Mechanics therefore I will be opening up the bedroom again to start the teardown.

Funny enough today I was driving and I really felt the bike not as smooth as normal put it down to the fuel being over a month old however not such luck. I hope to keep a good report going of the progression on the job as when I fitted the power hub the fuel tank did get removed so going back on old ground again.

Step 1 ) Speak with Honda make sure they have the parts and get after it.

Letter from Honda below I like the slogan "What Stops You?" well welding slag in your tanks will do that !!!!

Letter Honda Recall.jpg

2020 CRF1100L4 Honda Africa Twin DCT Adventure Sports

10680km

DCT.jpg

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
That's one of the few things I don't like about the AT. Takes me two hours to get the air filter out and in. Getting the tank out is a nightmare.
My Honda F6, two bolts and a fuel hose and tank is off and full access to the air filter. And that is a 350kg road bike.
On the CRF it's less than 3 minutes to change the air filter, on the CRM it's even quicker. Honda could do better with the AT.

I laugh every time i hear about the Hondas 'patent pending air box' for the AT. But the bike is absolutely awesome with the DCT.:)

Reactions: Moto-Rex

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I've got the Letter. I will check with my local Big 'disappointment' Wing next week. I'm expecting a 'Mai Pen Rai' attitude . One thing in my favour is they are not a 'busy' workshop. It's rare to see any activity in there.

jayjay

Oct 15, 2020
I've got the Letter. I will check with my local Big 'disappointment' Wing next week. I'm expecting a 'Mai Pen Rai' attitude . One thing in my favour is they are not a 'busy' workshop. It's rare to see any activity in there.
An Update as follows for all. The letter states beep the QR code once you load your details it will tell you wither your bike is one on the list needed for this work to be performed in my case my bike is clear and I suspect your will be also please read the follow up I will post details.

jayjay

Oct 15, 2020
2020 Honda Africa Twin Recall Update

After visiting Honda here in Chiang Rai the procedure is as follows. The letter attached has a QR code, scan this to the Link below and infill your details this will inform you if your bike is effected by this recall or not. In my case my bike is clear from this issue.

ตรวจสอบรถจักรยานยนต์ที่ต้องได้รับการยกระดับคุณภาพผลิตภัณฑ์

Honda have obvisly have decided to make this a full on worldwide check and you have to say hats off to them (Anyone remember the Samsung Note 7 issue and its not like Apple did not have phones go on fire) therefore Honda have done the right thing to get everyone's bikes to be checked.

Going forward though am I trusting this "No" my intention is to buy this upgraded filter system link below and do the work myself when it arrives some may say piece of mind some good videos on youtube regarding the fitment and issues surrounding it.

HONDA AFRICA TWIN CRF 1000-1100 FUEL PUMP MAZINGA | Guglatech

Scan this QR code input your details see if your bike requires the rework

Honda Letter update.jpg

Result today from details entered to my bike is clear

ATAS Check complete.jpg

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Or shine a flashlight in the mostly empty tank and see if slag is present.
No slag - no worries

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
I am another Honda owner who is not 100% happy with Chiang Rai Big Wing, main reason is there is no one that can speak English.........................I know I live in Thailand but I have been a few times to Big Wing Udon Thani, the girl on service reception speaks English, 1 x salesman speaks English and 1 x mechanic speaks English, it makes a world of difference when they understand what you are chasing.

I often incorporate a ride to Udon with a service for my bike, great shop..............I ring a week or so before to check they have the parts required, Air Cleaner etc ;)

Reactions: Oddvar

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
We are a bit off topic but I communicated with CR bigwing online for months using LINE and Google Translate because I couldn't get any sense out of them in the shop. The Managers are Just as awkward using Thai. It's like sticking Pins in your eyes communicating with them... I think there's a bit of ' Thai male Macho bullshit' going on .... Lots of Nice hair , well groomed and preening constantly but 'pretty' useless .... On the other hand the 2 Girls in there try to be helpful but no English and you have to prompt them to think outside the Box ....... The Girls are the only ones I will speak to and vice-versa. Too much Face has been lost .

I saw on FB some farang (looks familiar) bought a Goldwing in there a couple of weeks ago. Farangs do seem to be buying the big bikes.

There's a Girl working in the Coffee shop next door in the Cub House. She's speaks excellent english (Her Father is English) and she's smart. They should give her a Job in Customer Service. It would solve all the problems

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
There's a Girl working in the Coffee shop next door in the Cub House. She's speaks excellent english (Her Father is English) and she's smart. They should give her a Job in Customer Service. It would solve all the problems

Yes I know her, she has great English, BUT they dont like her helping in sales ;)

I have asked for her many times and they say she is not available, go to the Cub Coffee shop and she is there ?........................Like you say Mark it is not a big ask to have someone in Sales/Service that can speak English

Reactions: Ian Bungy