7 day North loop

Jul 14, 2004
Hi
We have just returned to New Zealand after completing lap of the north. Had to drop a line to David and say a big thank you for your book, maps, website and tips on bike hire.
Flew New zealand to Bangkok then onto Chaing Mai.
Hired from joe's bike team (Soi 2 Chaing moi road Chaing Mai)two tidy xr250 bajas with new tyres brake pads chain spockets etc for 4550 baht each for 7 days.
Followed mostly Davids "motorcying guide to goldern triangle" book

rode from Chaing mai on Monday 21 June
chiang dae hill tribe loop
up muang khong but needed pass from National park office, this is no problem but heavy rain came so waited in cave then took off (this was the only rain all trip)

Na Wai - Doi ang khang stayed Angkhang resort

Tuesday
Doi ang khang -nor lae -fang
mae saluk- wawi stay lou lee resort and do some dirt riding in area (got abit lost finding wawi access road)

Wen
wawi- return tha ton
the doi larng loop
tha ton-mae salong -thoed thai-doi tung link up- mae sai
stay greater mae kok resort at golden triangle opium museum

Thur
Chiang saen- chiang khong- pha tang -chiang kham
stay garden resort

Fri
chiang kham-nan stay 2 nights nan valley resort

Sat
doi phukha loop

Sun
return chiang mai via phayao

The bikes didnt miss a beat had a great time, both of us have raced the North west 200 road race in Northern Ireland once and the Isle of Man TT 3 times on R6's and R1's but would not like to travel the north too much quicker than the xr250(maybe alittle). Hit a flying chicken and had a game of chicken with an old man on a push bike but no problems

All resorts were very clean and tidy approx 1000 baht each per night for twin share room (except chaing kham garden resort which was alittle run down but no problem and approx 550 baht for 2)

Food was great always looked for a nice clean place or ate at resort
3 course meal for 2 with beers, coke and tip never more than 600 baht breakfast always included with room (except Chaing kham garden resort)

And the people so friendly and kind- unbelievable, couldnt speak a word of thai and no phrase book but it was great have never laughed so much in my life.The further of the normal tourist track the better it was. Enjoyed shouting the locals a few beers, having a few laughs and talking with hand signals etc

Low points, the bowl of water thing during an emergency pit stops. I think a few extra pages should be included in the guide book (was almost going to rip it up on the last day but could not do myself to do it) nic name thailand "the land of the loose stools" Maybe i should just carry a roll of paper next time :)

We will return one day with 600 super motard race bikes set up with long range tanks that will be the ultimate biking experience
have some logistics to sort before then but the slides and wheelstands will make it all worth while.

Thanks again
Nick Pedley- Mark Perry