A wild day trip to Khao Yai and Wang Nam Kiao!

Dec 27, 2007
Good Fun!

Yamaha R1, Triumph Tiger, Ducati Monster, Kawasaki Ninja 650R and Kawasaki ER6n.

Rendezvous at the Petronas on Ramkamhaeng-
110309RideSm.jpg

Gas stop just before the south entrance to Khao Yai National Park-
110309Ride3Sm.jpg

Crazy windstorm blew down tons of trees in the park blocking the road and closing the park, so we headed east on the 33 and north on the 304 to Wang Nam Kiao. As we climbed the mountain the winds dies down and the temperature dropped dramatically. Up at the top there were many Thais dressed in full winter gear!

The road from Wang Nam Kiao to the north gate of Khao Yai National Park never fails to put a big smile on my face.

Stopped at the reservoir to let a couple of laggards catch up-
110309Ride4Sm.jpg

Hmmm... they are taking their time... I'm starting to get a bit concerned... Ah! Here they are! Uh oh- :-X
110309ER6nSm.jpg

Oh dear, my beloved ER6n is not looking so happy...
110309ER6n1Sm.jpg

Well, good thing she's not mine anymore! Fortunately the damage is all cosmetic and the new owner will get her patched up at Kawasaki today. I'm guessing it will only set him back a few thousand Baht.

Reached the Thanarat Road (2090) at the North Gate of Khao Yai National Park a little after noon and we were all quite hungry. Had a great meal at a nice road side restaurant- bill for 5 hungry bikers came to a little over 500 Baht!

The National Park was now open so we decided to check it out. Wow- what a mess!!!
110309Ride7Sm.jpg

Normally it take about 45 minutes to drive through the park. Yesterday it took well over an hour on account of all of the trees that had been blown down and the litter on the road. Pretty impressed how quickly they were able to re-open the road.
110309Ride6Sm.jpg

Some of the trees were HUGE! and many were still blocking the road forcing us to go around on the soft shoulder which was 'interesting'

I should have taken more pictures, but we wanted to get back to Bangkok before dark! Here's a good one-
110309Ride8Sm.jpg

Despite Dr. G assuring us that there was only a 10% chance of rain yesterday it began to mist in the park which then turned into a steady rain as we were heading back into Bangkok. Rather miserable as none of us were prepared for it, but fortunately we all made it back in one piece!

Looking forward to the Bangsaen Bike Rally this weekend!
http://www.bangsaenbikeweek.com/
bangsaen09.gif

Hope to see many of you there!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Sep 4, 2007
Great report Tony. What a funny spell of weather for 2 or 3 days up here. Been nice and chilly, good for excercise and as you noted very high winds. Up here changing for the better today.
I remember part of that bit of road the first time we did it, as you say a lovely stretch and quiet compared with the 304 and the roads within the park. The power of nature is awsome and makes one feel quite good to be part of it as long as one keeps away from the actual falling trees.

I am working on Tuesdays for the next 16 weeks, but determined to get in a number of Wednesday to Sat or Sun trips, so maybe we can get together sometime. Cheers, John

Dec 27, 2007
^ Cheers John,

Yeah- crazy weather indeed! It was a challenge to ride on the open road- the strong gusts were blowing my little Ninja 650 all over the place! :shock:

Some of the trees that were down had to have been very old - a couple of meters in diameter some of them!

It would have been terrifying to have been on that road during the storm with huge trees crashing down everywhere and no place to hide.

Understand you're going to the Chiang Mai Bike Week yes? I'll look forward to seeing you there!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony as always a perfect report !! What a nice gathering of different bikes too. You really know how to enjoy biking !!! Keep 'em comin'......cheers, Franz