advise needed: buying a bike in cambodia

Apr 5, 2004
Hi,

Does any one have information on buying a bike in cambodia and taking it out of the country? At the moment I 'm staying in Cambodia on a tourist visa. What I want to do is:

1. buy the bike in cambodia
2. drive it into Thailand, from Thailand into Laos en back into Thailand again.
3. sell or leave it in Thailand

I would like to get some advise on the above. Is it possible for me to do so? Are there a lot difficulties to be expected at the bordercrossings and what kind of paperwork can I expect?

I hope someone can help me out. Thanks,
Arnoud

john

Oct 6, 2003
Arnoud, your plan should work fine as far as leaving Cambodia and entering Thailand and Laos. The exception maybe when you want to sell it in Thailand. When you enter Thailand you will be on a 30 day permit. As far as registering your bike in Cambodia I would check with Jim at the California 2 Hotel. He is the resident expert on Cambodia. He posts on the board so you can look up how to contact him here. Have fun and let us know about your travels. JOHN

JimCA2

Jan 3, 2004
When you buy your bike from a bike shop here in Cambodia they set you up with the "proper" permits. As John said you will have problems ditching the bike in thailand. I dont know how stringent they are or how computerized the system is, but the thais will document your brining the bike into thailand then assign a value to it that you are responsible for in the event the bike doesnt make it out. on thing to be aware of as I experienced it going into thailand and a few buddies on recent journeys to laos is that customs doesnt always give the bike the same amount of time as your visa or entry stamp. make sure you specify that you want the 30 days for your bike as well. You might be better doing a big loop coming back into cambodia from laos down thru stung treng. boat to Kratie then the river road to pnh. If you are in pnh stop by on the riverfront and well talk.

Apr 5, 2004
mmmmh, seems like getting rid of it in Thailand is not an easy option. I will have to think over my travelling plans well before deciding what to do.

Thanks a lot so far. Arnoud