After market fuel tank for KLX 250 EFI

Mar 30, 2010
Hi All,

Looks like we may have an after market tank for the KLX 250 EFI soon.
Doing some googling and found a site saying it is coming soon..
Dropped them an email and very positive response....

Hi,

Noticed on your website.. You said larger tanks for the KLX 250 EFI in the not to distant future.

Any update on that and the price.

Thanks

-------
IMS Products

Hi Brian,

As it stands, we are hoping to have a finished tank by the end of January. This is a rough ETA, as we are still making some revisions, and it does take some time and if something unexpected happens, it can always be pushed back. But all signs point to it being finished toward the end of January.

Thank you!

Jack
IMS

This will be great as the API ECU uses about 1 litre more per tank compared to the stock ECU..
So extra juice in the tank, API ECU and lighter exhaust.. KLX will be perfect value for money bike with not too expensive tweaks to get the most out of it.

https://www.imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?ManufacturerSet=Kawasaki&maD=true&ModelSet=KLX250S&modD=true&yeD=true&siD=true&TypeSet=Fuel%20Tank&SeriesSet=&sed=true&tyd=true&YearsSet=09-13&SizeSet=3.0%20gal

Cheers
Brian

Dec 27, 2007
IMS has been saying "it's coming" for years... Hopefully this time it really is!

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Brian, I purchased an after market 11 litre tank for my KLX a year ago and it fits pretty good under the plastics. It is very hard to pick from the original metal tank.
However, I got the carburetted version as I converted my KLX to a performance carb with a 300cc kit from Aust.
It took a month to sort out but goes well (thats another story).
The IMS guys told me then that the Larger fuel tank will take a singinficant time to design because it needs to be pressurised and also has to house the pumps etc from the original metal tank.
My tank uses gravity feed to the carb. through a normal on off tap.
Cost was around $250US plus postage and tax if you get caught in Thailand.
I reckon the aftermarket tank for the fuel injection may be significantly more expensive and a bit larger if it has to accommodate the plumbing and hoses etc.
It will be interesting to see the final product.
If it is a viable conversion I may convert back to 250cc and fuel injection with an upgraded ECU.

Cheers
Tom

Dec 27, 2007
3 gallon IMS tank on KLX!

Decided the stock 2 gallon (7.7 liter) stock tank on the KLX just isn't going to cut it for touring so ordered a 3 gallon (11.3 liter) IMS tank from http://www.justgastanks.com/

My bike has a Bill Blue 351 cc Big Bore kit which is paired with a Mikuni TM 33 8012, flat-slide, pumper carb. The FI and fuel pump have been removed.

Pretty quick shipping but they ignored my request to declare cost price on the customs form so I got charged quite a bit of duty. Oh well, win some, lose some.

Swapping tanks is super easy-
IMSTankKLX351asm.jpg

Forgive the filthy bike :lol:
IMSTankKLX351bsm.jpg

Stock tank is tiny- only holds 7.7 liters of fuel.

IMSTankKLX351csm.jpg

Stock next to IMS. Cool thing is the plastic 3 gallon IMS doesn't weigh any more than the 2 gallon metal stock tank.

IMSTankKLX351dsm.jpg

Another view.

IMSTankKLX351esm.jpg

Installation is a breeze- the IMS fits perfectly and does not interfere with the carb or choke. One little hiccup- the IMS tank uses the fuel fittings from the stock tank, but it's made for the carb'd bike which has a different fuel tank, so I had to scrounge around Red Baron's used parts warehouse where I was lucky enough to find the tank fittings I needed.

Will have to get out and run the bike dry to see what kind of range I'll enjoy with the bigger tank.
IMSTankKLX351fsm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony :happy1:

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I do something similar although with two 1L multi-fuel bottles I've had for years. As I do tend to push the limit of the reserve. Its more for convenience than anything else but its a backup and also a backup for anyone else your with too unlike the Larger Tank. I've just sent for some Wolfman Bottle holsters, a bit expensive for what they are but a lot cheaper than a longer range Tank.

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Col, one day you may get a big surprise when the plastic of your water bottles perish in the heat!
And the resultant fumes find your exhaust pipe!
Fuel stations in CNX refused to filll mine once in an emergency when the scooter run dry. (Apparently it is illegal, even in Thailand)

Cheers
Tom

Mar 30, 2010
Captain_Slash;285617 wrote: Rather than buy a bigger tank when I fill up in the mornings I take a couple of 1.5 litre empty water bottles and fill them too.
They fit in my panniers then I just top the tank up when I have the room and that gives me another 100+ km fuel range
I thought about that.. Just prefer to have the bigger tank.. Less hassle.

Dec 27, 2007
brian_bkk;285644 wrote: I thought about that.. Just prefer to have the bigger tank.. Less hassle.
Yes, but realistically, the price of an aftermarket tank for the EFI KLX is going to be very high as it will have to be able to incorporate the fuel pump and remain pressurized.

As I don't yet know the range of my KLX 351 with the new tank I'm going to carry extra fuel in a proper container. Picked up a cute little 3.9 liter fuel canister at HomePro:
f1b6e42f452312f2dd607445ff77c013_zpsd96c8280.jpg

Cheap and safe.

Mar 30, 2010
TonyBKK;285651 wrote: Yes, but realistically, the price of an aftermarket tank for the EFI KLX is going to be very high as it will have to be able to incorporate the fuel pump and remain pressurized.

As I don't yet know the range of my KLX 351 with the new tank I'm going to carry extra fuel in a proper container. Picked up a cute little 3.9 liter fuel canister at HomePro:
f1b6e42f452312f2dd607445ff77c013_zpsd96c8280.jpg

Cheap and safe.

Should have clarified that further.. I just don't want the hassle of carrying fuel or extra stops to get fuel or stop to fill up.
even if it is 400 USD. Worth it to save the refilling and extra stops on the middle of no where getting fuel out of a pepsi bottle :)

Dec 27, 2007
brian_bkk;285654 wrote: Should have clarified that further.. I just don't want the hassle of carrying fuel or extra stops to get fuel or stop to fill up.
even if it is 400 USD. Worth it to save the refilling and extra stops on the middle of no where getting fuel out of a pepsi bottle :)
I hear what you're saying mate, but on the flip side, you never run through your 7.7 liter tank in one go without stopping do you? A full tank will take you some ~150-200km right? I can't imagine sitting on a KLX for that many kilometers without stopping at least a couple times to relieve my **** and stretch my legs ;)

If you carry extra fuel I reckon it's really not much inconvenience to top up the tank when you stop for a break. And I'd rather be topping up with good fuel that I've carried with me rather then some dodgy fuel out of a pepsi bottle ;)

Jul 6, 2004
You are right Col, since Liam sorted it out it is going well, I get over 200km out of tank and it has enough power. I also put a bigger front cog on and it sits better on the highway.
It only takes about 4 hours to put it back to standard if I want to sell it.

Just thinking about it, may see you soon back in CNX.

Cheers
Tom

Mar 30, 2010
Update:-

Chased IMS via email.. Had the following response.

"Unfortunately, I do not have a release date to offer you at this time.
My understanding is that it has been completed, and we are now awaiting stock to be produced and arrive at our warehouse.
As soon as we have some ready for sale, we will be in touch."

My understanding is that it has been completed, and we are now awaiting stock to be produced and arrive at our warehouse

Not usually the first to adopt new technologies. Like to let others test and find the problems first.
But will make an exception in this case.

300cc Big bore kit keeping the EFI and larger fuel tank..
Best value dual purpose bike in Thailand... IMHO.

Cheers
Brian

Dec 21, 2012
We live in hope Brian they have been making promises for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner