Aftermarket plastic tank controversy

pee

Mar 10, 2006
For those who think they could do with increased fuel autonomy...
No doubt Suzuki DRZ 400, Honda XR 250 or 400 are great bikes in this part of the world. However the stock tanks are a bit small. Most of the time this won't be a problem. I wouldn’t mind some extra autonomy though. I usually carry an extra fuel container (1 gallon: about 200 Baths at “Homepro”). I wish I could get rid of it.
I investigated the aftermarket plastic tanks. There are plenty. Some models won’t accommodate the kick-starter on the DRZ, for example. That’s why I haven't included the “Acerbis” within the pictures displayed below.
Many threads tackle the issue on Thumpertalk forum. Some guys praise their plastic tank. However, they don’t ride in South-East Asia.
The main question is: How reliable are they in this (hot) part of the world?
A Suzuki dealer (and former Paris-Dakar contender) told me they would get wrecked quickly. He advised me to modify the metal stock tank instead: cut it and expand it.
I still have to find the right person to carry this tricky job... In Europe the quote is above 600€ for the job. Anyway, I won't go ahead without having a spare stock tank in my hands. That could take time. The whole process would be very expensive.
So, I haven't dropped the idea of getting a plastic aftermarket tank. I am very cautious -especially after reading Hiko's brilliant post (in “Changing Bikes”). He draws attention to the weaknesses of plastic parts on some bikes.
Has anybody used plastic tanks around Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand?
What's your experience like?
What do you think?

Safari 17 liters(4.35 gal):
Safaritank17litres.jpg

Clarke 3.9 gal:
TankClarke3.9.jpg

Clarke3.9.jpg

IMS 3.2 gal:
IMS3.22.jpg

IMS over 4 gal:
IMSTankonDRZ.jpg

I'd go with plastic. I have a plastic tank on my XR650R and it seems pretty bullet proof to me. I realise I am in the UK so no problem with hot weather, but most, if not all motocross bikes use plastic. I have seen plenty of plastic tanks in Thailand on old XR250's and the like with seemingly no problems.

Jun 21, 2006
I had a plastic tank on my 1100GS, no problems at all, and rode that all over Thailand.

Bush Pilot now the owner and as far as I know didn't give him any problems either.

Only downside, is you can't use a magnetic tank bag.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Our Trusty Friend "Captain Chaos" (Laos Debacle) had a Plastic Tank on his XR400 which cracked and Split, he welded it up and it didn't last so he replaced it with a Tin one that Looked like Shit!!! I think the Trouble with the Plastic Tanks here come from leaving the Bikes Sit out in the Hot Sun all Day and they break down (specially Rentals). Moving is Different. The New Tanks are really Tough and almost all New Off Road Bikes have them. I would go for the Plastic. Tin looks like Shit once they are Dented where as with the Plastic ones you can just Put on New Stickers!!! Having Said that here in Thailand it would cost Bugger all to get a Big Tin Tank made, look at all the Steeds made into "Want To Be" Harley Davidsons with Big Tanks?
Cheers Ian.

Oct 17, 2006
So long as the tank is made from Hi Impact ABS it will be stronger and more bash resistant than any steel tank. Has to be ABS plastic though not fibre glass or other plastics.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Safari is Australian. Given the conditions in that country and the pragmatic aproach of most Aussies I have met, well OK they were mostly from Queensland, I would say there is every chance one would last a long time. If worried about bike storage in the sun a local Thai could make up a very nice cover out of a piece of carpet a la taxi dashboard covers.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks a lot for the input guys.
It looks like plastic wouldn't be so bad.
The Australian made Safari tank has my preference so far. I had an Australian wife(from Queensland)for a while and can only second Mike Rust comment: they are tough.
The good point with this tank is also that fuel sits quite low on the bike.
I am going to check with the company if their tanks are made of Hi Impact ABS plastic, as Monsterman says.
Just for fun, below is a pic of the huge 30 liters tank from the same company:

RVAquiline30liters.jpg

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Is this you Pee, if not, you may find the following link interesting

http://web.mac.com/wegster/iWeb/Mac/Blo ... 08DAA.html

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
From R & V Aqualine

quote:

Mike,

Plastic products made in Australia are built to withstand some of the harshest UV conditions in the world, which is why many foreign-made plastic products fail here. Some of our other plastic products withstand constant exposure to the sun without problems, so I can confidently say that tanks used in Thailand won't have problems.

Regards

Tony

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Bill,
Thanks for the very useful link.

Mike,
Thanks for the technical tip.
I also got in touch with the company RV Aqualine through this Email address:
[email [email protected]][email protected][/email]
Sometimes they are a bit long to answer inquiry. However I got this mail from them, regarding price and delivery(about the 17 liters model):
"The cost of the tank is AU$389.00 plus AU$15.00 (for strap) plus AU$85.00
This tank is available in four colours clear, yellow, blue or black and we currently have all in stock. I am only estimating postage time at 7- 10 days."
Email received in May 2007.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Problem comes with importing. I think duty/tax is high on M/C parts and accesories as there is a local parts and acessory industry.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
quote:

Problem comes with importing. I think duty/tax is high on M/C parts and accesories as there is a local parts and acessory industry.

If you're planning a trip to Cambodia you could avoid Thai tax by having the tank sent their via A/post-EMS which is one of the cheaper courier options.
Cambodia has EMS offices in major towns but you will still need to give a Cambo address.

I recieved my FMF Powerbomb header in the mail today from Thumpertalk, no Cambo tax or duty. It's the 4th parcel of Mç parts I've had sent from the US via USPS-EMS without any tax issues.

Jun 12, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by monsterman

So long as the tank is made from Hi Impact ABS it will be stronger and more bash resistant than any steel tank. Has to be ABS plastic though not fibre glass or other plastics.

I don`t think the tanks are ABS, rather HDPE [high density polyethylene}.
IMS tanks are for sure. I cracked mine and that was the type of plastic welding rod I had to use. Easy to weld by the way. The plastic has sort of a waxy feel to it.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for pointing the import tax/duty issue...
Importing through Cambodia could be a way to go... Not the most convenient though. I guess it depends how expensive the Thai import tax duty would be on motorcycle parts... That would help to balance the inconvenience.
Anyone knows about Thai Import duty percentage?
Bultaco,
I think I rather go for the Australian made Safari tank. I still have to ask them what kind of plastic they use.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by pee

Anyone knows about Thai Import duty percentage?

Should be either 30% or 40% of the value including the cost of freight. Bike parts are generally 30 or 40%, there are two rates one for internal engine parts & the other for the rest, but I forget which is which. However note that you pay on the freight too - which can be expensive if it is heavy & sent by air freight or airmail.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for the good tip David...
Tank cost:404 Aussie $
Freight: 85 Aussie $
Import Tax 30% to 40%
It looks like the tax will be 147 to 195 Aussie$
Total cost: 636 to 684 Aus$
18700 20200 Thai Baht.
Let's hope the tank is good.