Border crossings for tourist on rented / purchased


Jan 10, 2005
What is the best way for a tourist who wants to ride across as many Indo-Chinese countries as possible and probably Malaysia and Yunnan:
Fly/ship in one's own bike?
Buy and register a second-hand bike in which country?
Rent a bike in which country and obtain owner's permission?
Is Myanmar still strictly off-limits?
What other points are to be considered? Insurance? Engine-size (175cc limit in Vietnam)? Can a street bike be advisable, or only a dirt bike?
What papers to prepare? Carnets, international registration etc. (I have Chinese drivers license already.)