Cb500x Suspension Upgrade In Thailand

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Hello everybody, I have a cb500x 2020 model. We mainly tour on road and with very little off road action. My question concerns the need to upgrade my stock suspension to something more accommodating to our weight. Currently with two passenger, and top box empty we are at 143 kg. Looking to add two side boxes, with rack will bring us to 158 kg empty. With luggage total weight 175 kg. According to Honda manual this is max carry weight. Some shops say I should upgrade suspension, but I can't get a clear answer to which model. YSS or Ohlin? Any input or experience with 3 boxes and passenger and suspension would be appreciated.

Contact Brad @ BDS for the best options & service by a pro. The best in Thailand!

BDS Performance Thailand.

bradmeister

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 7, 2017
Bangkok
www.bdsperformance.co.th
Hello everybody, I have a cb500x 2020 model. We mainly tour on road and with very little off road action. My question concerns the need to upgrade my stock suspension to something more accommodating to our weight. Currently with two passenger, and top box empty we are at 143 kg. Looking to add two side boxes, with rack will bring us to 158 kg empty. With luggage total weight 175 kg. According to Honda manual this is max carry weight. Some shops say I should upgrade suspension, but I can't get a clear answer to which model. YSS or Ohlin? Any input or experience with 3 boxes and passenger and suspension would be appreciated.
Dear Tboxcar,

To Spring up or not to Spring up. That is the question,

First off, congrats on the new bike. Very utilitarian IMHO, as I have owned 2... my staff pretty much rides the one we didn't sell as it's in mint condition and we sprung the bike for a 72 kilo rider with soft sidebags, no rear frame or box. No rider.

The bike we sold had about 60000 baht of custom suspension from Germany.... not one stock BMW could come close whilst caressing the twisted in Mae Hong Song. Up or down the mountain. No pillion though.

As you have astutely discovered: all cb500x's are not one would expect with a low GVWR; but that's the bike you fell in love with and you want the most comfy touring with you and your woman.....I get this right so far?

Let's dispel a few mis-nomers.....

1. The GVWR is not something that can be exceeded with " beefier " suspension. You're apparently getting dangerously close.

2. The GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is established for tensile strength of main frame, subframe and swing arm. Not to even mention you tires, wheel axles, brakes and suspension system.

3 If you find a person, shop or factory that tells you other than what's listed above and you should roll the dice..... she`ll have a fat ass, and beat you and your woman up, every time on a long tour, and you will have some type of pre-mature failure.

As you already mentioned, and deduced from previous experience or reading: this machine does not like top boxes.... and the bigger, higher and further behind the axle you place It, you will begin to add stresses to your linkage and be uncomfortable in hard turns up or down a mountain with a pillion and overloaded and packed piston and forks.

So, what can you do? You may avoid my advise and load it up and give her a whirl, your front stock springs won't take the weight and your rear shock will bottom.

Maybe you can live with that undesireable riding maybe you don't mind coming off your motorcycle beat up after a long days ride, maybe you don't mind tempting a failure by exceeding the GVWR?

Regardless of your decision for Ohlins, Nitron, Wilbers or whatever..... Think about soft bags from SW Mototech, less weight, no box.

A small rack on the back to hold less than 7 kilos of items (like sleeping tent, two mats and 2 bags) of load would leave you plenty of swing arm action and tremendously keep her lighter inn the front and much easier to manage in the mountains.

If you want a safe, smooth and comfortable ride.... that sticks like bubble gum in the turns....feel free to call.

Best of luck on your build,

See you up in the mountains soon.

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Know quite a few 500X riders, and am surprised by the comment re: top box.
If it is not overloaded there should be no issue.
Most bikers I see carry enuf stuff for a round the world trip when going for a couple days.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Most bikers I see carry enuf stuff for a round the world trip when going for a couple days.

That's the issue, filling those boxes with all the weight behind the rear axle, making the bike handle like a pig.
The bigger boxes the more gear they carry, just because there is space.
I can't believe the amount of luggage & boxes most riders carry nowadays. Astounding.

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
That's the issue, filling those boxes with all the weight behind the rear axle, making the bike handle like a pig.
The bigger boxes the more gear they carry, just because there is space.
I can't believe the amount of luggage & boxes most riders carry nowadays. Astounding.
When I was young, road trip was a duffle bag strapped onto the sissy bar, and a bedroll on the front fender.
Clothes - maybe a change of shorts and socks.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
There's no doub't a Topbox of any form affects the handling of a bike. I have a CB500X and you can feel the effects especially on the forks (wobble) . But topbox's are just so damn convenient. Keep it light as possible and be aware of the handling effects and your fine.

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
I have them on 3 of my bikes - and never noticed any front end reaction.
And have ridden them both with, without and empty and full (not heavy)
500X I have no experience other than listed above.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I have them on 3 of my bikes - and never noticed any front end reaction.
And have ridden them both with, without and empty and full (not heavy)
500X I have no experience other than listed above.
its subtle but it's there. One way to see is to take your hands off the bars briefly if you are confident enough to do so. Then try the same thing with Any top box

Reactions: Oddvar