- Nov 28, 2009
Oh that looked like a really good rige guys, i'd love to do on of them at some time.
Hundreds of years ago, the Phuthai people settled along the Banghiang River in Savannakhet Province in central Laos. For centuries, the Phouthai women have woven fabrics using natural dyes and fibres from the surrounding forests. Today, through Madam Songbandith, the Director of Thong Laha Sinh Company, these cotton fibres had brought to the peoples of the world under the Laha label. All the fabrics are handspun and woven from unique organically grown Lao cotton, using indigo and other natural dyes. Thong Laha Sinh draws a diverse clientele of people around the world, which interested in Preserve Environment and Natural dyed for healthy lifestyle. The “Eco-friendly” concept is the center of development projects. A part of our mission is to support the sustainable development of local people in the use of locally available raw materials while preserving their valuable traditional culture, also eradicating poverty. One project is the promotion of hand-woven textiles of the Phuthai ethic group, who have been living along the Xepon River in Savannakhet province, central Laos, for centuries.
An excellent thread showing how much development has occurred in past few years.Davidfl;267119 wrote: PAKXE
8th February 2011
It's all starting to get a lot easier & the sooner you head to the pristine 4000 Islands the better.(KPL) The opening of a 718-metre bridge across the Mekong River, linking Khong Island to the mainland of Champassak Province was officially opened for public use on November 23 to boost trade, investment, tourism, and to drive growth in the southern region.
The new bridge, which was largely funded by the Chinese government, will enable the inhabitants of the 10 villages on Khong Island (Khong district) to better connect with the mainland. They were previously only able to make the river crossing by ferry, which was time-consuming and inefficient.
Visitors to the island, which is a popular tourist spot, also had to catch a ferry, while boats transported all vehicles and supplies.
In his address at the opening ceremony, Minister of Public Works and Transport Dr Bounchan Sinthavong said that Chinese financial support has been significant for socio-economic development and the growth of trade and tourism in the south of Laos. The bridge will make travel to and from the island much easier, as well as the transport of goods, he added.
"It will significantly contribute to greater socio-economic development, trade, investment, and tourism in the southern region in particular and Laos as a whole,"he said. ?It will also improve local livelihoods."
Built at a cost of more than US$34.12 million (more than 273.9 billion kip), 95 percent of the financing was provided by a long-term, low interest loan from China?s Export-Import Bank (Exim Bank). The remaining 5 percent, amounting to US$1.7 million, was provided by the Lao government.
In his remarks at the ceremony, Governor of Champassak province Dr Bounthong Divixay also stressed the significance of the bridge in boosting development in the area.
He described China's support as 'valuable assistance'and thanked the government of China and Exim Bank for their contribution.
"This assistance is a tremendous contribution to infrastructure development. Slowly but surely it will help local communities to boost their income and improve their standard of living,"Dr Bounthong said. He pledged that Champassak would make good use of the bridge to drive development and attend to its maintenance so that it will be operational for many years to come.
Champassak considers the bridge to be a symbol of the comprehensive strategic cooperative partnership between Laos and China, the governor added.?The bridge, which is 11 metres wide, took 34 months to complete.
Among the guests at the function were Prime Minister Thongsing Thammavong, Chinese Ambassador to Laos Guan Huabing, and other officials from Laos and China.
Laha Sin Weaving Centre
N16 33.410 E104 45.436
View attachment 49201
View attachment 49202
View attachment 49203
View attachment 49204
View attachment 49205
View attachment 49206
View attachment 49207
View attachment 49208
View attachment 49209
View attachment 49210
Thanks again Jerome for showing me around.