Chiang Mai Big Bike Police Crackdown

Jul 6, 2004
Hi All,
I have been following this thread very closely, since I have my BMW Dakar held up in Samui like a bloody fugitive!
1st, she is in the country illegally, as the temp. papers issued at Sadoa are way over the 30 days permitted.
She is a current registered Australian Plated Bike, and I have a Carnie, which is useless in Thailand.
What do I do? ride her into a police station with hands (or handle bars) in the air, put the keys on the sergents desk and surrender or to hell with it. Ride until I get caught and get shot in the back or hanged for the desparate outlaw that I have become.
Cheers
Doris (The Dakar)

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
You might think about putting it, covered, on a truck out of the country, and then bringing it back in legally...

Cheers,
Daewoo

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
Next time you come you have some options.

1. You can try to get out of the country at a "easy" border point like Sadeo for ex.

2. You can go to the border and stop before the border at the Custom House and tell that you want to pay over stay for your bike. It will cost you maximum 2000 Baht and then you can leave the country without problem. If your overstay is more than 6 months you may need to use some hours and some sweet talk "never again" and "Sorry sorry I didn't know" "I was sick" etc.

3, Next time you want to leave the bike in Thailand for a long time leave it at a custom bonded ware house where you can keep the bike until you come back and take out the bike and you get 30 days.

4. You can also use the 30 days and then go to the custom house and get 5 times each 30 days, Then you are legal.

HIKO

Dec 24, 2007
HIKO wrote: Next time you come you have some options.

1. You can try to get out of the country at a "easy" border point like Sadeo for ex.

2. You can go to the border and stop before the border at the Custom House and tell that you want to pay over stay for your bike. It will cost you maximum 2000 Baht and then you can leave the country without problem. If your overstay is more than 6 months you may need to use some hours and some sweet talk "never again" and "Sorry sorry I didn't know" "I was sick" etc.

3, Next time you want to leave the bike in Thailand for a long time leave it at a custom bonded ware house where you can keep the bike until you come back and take out the bike and you get 30 days.

4. You can also use the 30 days and then go to the custom house and get 5 times each 30 days, Then you are legal.

HIKO
This is interesting, are you saying at no4 once you've border run enough times you're good to go indefinately?

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
Sorry I didn't say that and I didn't mean that.
What I should have said more precisely is that, then you must leave the country with your bike, but you can then return and start it all again.

HIKO

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Interesting bit in the Thai evening news tonight. They are forming a special Police unit, to enforce tax evasion on cars.

NOT ONE WORD ABOUT BIKES