Chumphon Bike Week, via Hua Hin

Jul 17, 2007
Yay! My first trip report! :p

Well, finally made it to Chumphon via Hua Hin.

Met two groups of Hua Hin-based Thais riding down there.

15e.jpg

The first group were on a Duc 999, a Buell and various Jap crotch rockets.

5b7.jpg

Apparently, the guy on the Buell (second right, I think) unfortunately had an accident after hitting a pothole at speed and needed some stitches to his upper arm.

796.jpg

The Hua Hn to Chumphon leg was interupted by a severe rainstorm, so took shelter at a service station and met up with another bunch of Thais from Hua Hin who were on a mix of R1's, RR's and a VMax.

177.jpg

The old 'drying out the jacket over a hot engine' trick.

Joined their group on the road to Chumphon when the rain finally gave up.
My Monster did an admiral job keeping up with Jap crotch rockets and it was the first time I've actually opened up the throttle on the Monster unhindered by any new bike limitations on revs.

736.jpg

Stayed at the 'to-be-avoided-at-all-costs' Paradorn Hotel. Then again, what can one expect for 440 baht a night. A freezing cold shower in the morning, that's what!

acf.jpg

Went to some navy-themed temple where various choppers were displayed. I met tropicaljohno as well.

81f.jpg

Our group's bikes parked and looking cool.

709.jpg

Later in the night at the meet.

c4d.jpg

666.jpg

Some nice paintwork was on display.

I stayed with the group on the way back to Hua Hin. Doing 120+ kph in a rainstorm was a new experience for me but I got some valuable riding experience and thouroughly enjoyed my time in spite of the atrocious weather.

I really do need to get out of Bangkok more often!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Rustic Harm
3 cheers for your trip report. It feels good doesn't it?
Glad you had a good time, met TJ & were able to cruise at 120kph in the wet. It's alright with good tyres & in a straight line, but it can & does get considerably dicey in the twisties . Better to slow down, stay in one piece & alive. Thanks again for the pix & report.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Nice one Rustic Charm. Nice report and pics.

Were you on your own and just met and teamed up with the Hua Hin guys?
That's one of the things I love about biking; you always seem to meet people and bikers nearly always greet each other and chat. Good stuff!

Jul 17, 2007
Dougal wrote: Nice one Rustic Charm. Nice report and pics.

Were you on your own and just met and teamed up with the Hua Hin guys?
That's one of the things I love about biking; you always seem to meet people and bikers nearly always greet each other and chat. Good stuff!
Yeah, on my own. Couldn't find anyone from the board or other mates with whom to go down there, what with work commitments and all.

The Thais were pretty cool. I tend to be slightly wary of Thai guys as those who I've met and conversed with in the past always seem to have a slight attitude problem when dealing with westerners.

I guess it needs a common denominator such as biking to overcome certain cultural issues.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Rustic Charm wrote: Yay! My first trip report!

The Thais were pretty cool. I tend to be slightly wary of Thai guys as those who I've met and conversed with in the past always seem to have a slight attitude problem when dealing with westerners.

I guess it needs a common denominator such as biking to overcome certain cultural issues.
Good on you for going,

Good on you for taking the time to post a report,

Good on you for doing such a good job...

I think you will find that Thai guys with enough money for a good bike, are less likely to be looking to see what they can get out of the dopey farrang... There are just as many good and honest Thais as there are any nationality... it is just that unfortunately, farrang often deal with more of the bad apples...

Cheers,
Daewoo

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Rustic Charm wrote: [quote quote=Dougal]I tend to be slightly wary of Thai guys as those who I've met and conversed with in the past always seem to have a slight attitude problem when dealing with westerners.

My guess is that many of them would say & think the same about us. So it probably works both ways. But you could also says this about any foreigner, who is not from your native country, and whom you are dealing with for the first time.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Referring to David's comment, right, but there's additionally always the language problem, talking in English and getting it wrong causes some loose of face, so better just smile at the farang and not get into this unfortunate situation. Still I admire how hard many people try another language, many of us who are native English speakers will never be in this situation as it is standard all over the world to make conversation in English, so most won't even know how hard it is to learn a second language. I know what I'm talking about speaking 3 fluently and another 3 basically. On my trip to CNX I met 3 Thais on big bikes, flagged them down, we had coffee at a 7/11 together and a very nice chat, another driver on a hd (foreigner) didn't even answer my greeting.....so I don't blame or complain about the Thais !!

Rustic Charm, good report & nice pictures !! And one more of our gang to do a report !! Cheers, Franz

Jul 17, 2007
Davidfl wrote: My guess is that many of them would say & think the same about us. So it probably works both ways. But you could also says this about any foreigner, who is not from your native country, and whom you are dealing with for the first time.
You may be right.
But I would really lke to see mixed groups of riders, Thais and westerners together.
Maybe they're out there (up North maybe) but I haven't seen them yet.
As I said in my OP, I really do need to get out of Bangkok more often.

daewoo wrote: I think you will find that Thai guys with enough money for a good bike, are less likely to be looking to see what they can get out of the dopey farrang...
The second group I hooked up with were regular 9-5 Joe's, not particularly wealthy, just seemed regular middle-class guys.

Jul 17, 2007
Franz - Eastern Seaboard wrote: .....so I don't blame or complain about the Thais !!
That wasn't really my intention, just saying that the two groups I met were a breath of fresh air compared to the ones with whom I work or have regular dealings with.

Franz - Eastern Seaboard wrote: another driver on a hd (foreigner) didn't even answer my greeting
Where's monsteman when you need him? :)

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Rustic, not trying to blame you or somebody in this post, but need some counterbalance to some guys always complaining about the locals....... :D

Yes where's monsterman ????? Long time since jerry posted something nice........ :oops:
maybe in the meantime he's drilling for oil on the moon.......

Rustic, by the way you wrote you need to get out of bkk sometimes, here's a chance, from 17.-19.5. 3 of us will be in khao yai, for you it's even easier to go there mitraphap road via wangnoi-saraburi-muak lek, just see my post under eastern section 'long weekend trip to kynp'........

Jun 21, 2006
Dougal wrote: Nice one Rustic Charm. Nice report and pics.

I was a bit aprehensive parking my Honda Wave 125 along side the 'big boys', and out on the ride, the guys were giving me the thumbs up, and welcoming me on the ride.

As mentioned above, I think bike riding is a 'level playing field' no ,atter what bike you ride.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
All good comments guys.

I've done many trips with Thais, sometimes being the only Farang.
What I noticed was how many of the public came up and chatted with the Thai bikers. That's happened to me on occasion when I'm on my own but not normally with a group of Farangs.
Have to say it really does help if you speak Thai.
Anyway, I'm just happy to get out there and every time seem to meet and chat with some of the locals.