Coming back for more 2 wheeled adventures

Apr 22, 2010
I'm baaaaaack.

I kind of got the bug riding in SE Asia during my Vietnam trip a few years back (can't believe it was that long ago!) and have just resigned now to the fact that I'll be riding Asia every year now.

I spent a few weeks over December and January (NY) 2012/2013 riding north of Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai (through Phrao) and then using Chiang Rai as a bit of a base to explore Chiang Khong and Mae Chan until eventually coming back down to Chiang Mai via the 107 through Fang (and my god the roads are STUNNING coming down that road!).
I then shot off to Pai, tackled the greatly publicized 762 turns before returning via the same route the next morning.

Hired a little 250R Ninja from Tonys Big Bikes (for which the experience and service was absolutely brilliant) and I liked the little bike so much that when I came home, I sold my SR400 and bought one. ...and then I missed the character of the older bike so much, sold the Ninja and bought a '72 Honda CB450 cafe racer project... but that's a whole other story.

Anyway, I digress (as I often do) but here a few snaps I took for my last trip and my little 250R Ninjette.

totallylost2_zpse5809162.jpg

totallylost_zps6af9a22b.jpg

PAI_zps40491da8.jpg

I'm coming back to Chiang Mai in early March and will be reading up a bit here as to which roads to travel.

At this stage looking at riding the MHS loop clockwise and then head north from Pai via Wiang Haeng, Doi Angkhang, Thaton, Mae Chan and down to Chiang Rai. From Chiang Rai I'm still working out the best way to get back down to Chiang Mai and may swing west through Nan. I have an ER6N booked for 9 days currently but have been considering extending it another 2-3 days. I'm one of those who enjoy a slow pace and wouldn't mind chilling in MHS, Pai and maybe Chiang Rai for a day or two but at the same time I'm one who once on the bike I prefer to keep pushing and make riding days big days. Not sure if I'll have enough days for it but hey, adds to the adventure.

Dec 27, 2007
Welcome back!!

If you enjoyed the road to Pai, you are going to LOVE the rest of the Mae Hong Song Loop!

The road between Pai and Chiang Mai is in rough shape and suffers a lot of traffic.

Once you are past Pai get ready for motorcycle bliss! Smooth racetrack pavement and hardly any traffic!

The ER6n is a good choice for that road, but a Versys, with more torque a more comfortable seat and better suspension would be even better! :thumbup:

Happy Trails!

Tony

coley

Jun 17, 2010
This thread has got me excited now. I bought a new versys a few months back and am coming up to the north to tour around at the beginning of March too. If I am lucky it may be late feb. I am coming up from BKK via Tak. I guess I will hit the famous loop in the south and head clockwise towards Pai. I have to admit I havent looked at a map much yet and my plans are very open except for the time I have available. I hope to have a week to 10 days. I am travelling solo at the moment but love to meet up with a few people along the way. Any suggestions are welcome. I am similar to iwantablackarz10 in that I don't drive as fast as some but I keep a reasonable pace I think. Any good guest houses, bars and restaurants for bikers are also much appreciated. Colin

coley

Jun 17, 2010
Thanks David for the insight. That will def help me to decide on a few places that I shouldnt miss. Want to make a good first trip up North without wishing to just breeze through without time to enjoy the people that i meet along the way.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
coley;296864 wrote: This thread has got me excited now. I bought a new versys a few months back and am coming up to the north to tour around at the beginning of March too. If I am lucky it may be late Feb.
Usually, the earlier the better. The area can often get quite smoky/hazy beginning in March. Some guys don't care at all and just ride on, but if you plan on photos of scenery etc, it can be a bit of a downer. Check back for conditions etc if you have any concerns about it prior to the ride up.

Apr 22, 2010
Currently in Pai after doing the MHS loop clockwise on a CB500X. Turned up the 1088 after Hot and instead rode up through Mae Chaem and then up the 1263. I got a bit lost if I'm honest. The roads on the 1263 are ok but in some sections can be slow going. I then turned down to Mae Sarieng although retrospectively should have just head north to Mae Hong Son.
Roads are good although it's a bit smokey and kills the scenery a bit I imagine.

Not sure what the plan is tomorrow. Debating heading north through Wiang Haeng. The GT map shows it as being dirt/gravel road but not confident my Pirelli sport tyres will be anything close to ideal. Other option is the 762 turns of hell... which might have to be it. Hoping to make it Chiang Mai and then down towards Nan.

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Dave,

I only just found your post, my computer died end January & life on a remote pacific island has not been the same since, at least until now as I'm back up & running.

I'm certainly looking forward to your trip reports - your coverage of northern Vietnam was a ripper & your detailed report on Nha Trang the best there is. Keep it up as many of us outside the area thirst for quality updates such as you provide.

Sorry not to be there with you taking in the sights.

Safe riding, mate.