Corbin Seats

Oct 22, 2006
I want to buy a Corbin seat and have some questions that I hope someone here may be able to answer. Is there a place that sells them in Chiangmai? Failing that, elsewhere in Thailand? I can order one from the U.S., of course, but in that case, what duty and similar charges, if any, would I have to pay?

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Rasseru
I ordered my Corbin seat, (for a DRZ400),straight off their website.
Intially they quoted me Fedex express shipping rates that cost more than the seat.
I emailed them a link to United States Postal Service website which provide a courier service.(not to be confused with UPS)
It cost USD59 for shipping from California to Sihanoukville,Cambodia, and took 10 days.
I requested some custom preferences for the seat and had to make several followup calls for them to get it right.
I am happy with the seat but their sales department is a bit slack.

Oct 22, 2006
Many thanks, bill. You've provided me with very useful information about shipping, which I had not even thought to ask about, and I appreciate it.

Aug 7, 2003
From previous efforts of DHL Thailand, ie. non delivery with the item sitting in their local office for 10 days with the local phone number on top, and address clearly marked, I cannot recommend them to anyone. When queried about the "Express Delivery" item they said "oh it's over there" , I said fine , why didn't you deliver it? Couldn't find the address was the answer. The street is in the city , has 6 buildings in it,the numbers on the delivery address are 3 foot high!(they couldn't bother to phone) Maybe it is the local office only (Korat).Was the Fedex in CM? Could it be local offices doing the dirty like Korat or is the BKK office?

I can also recommend the US Postal Service, cheaper and the same service as a courier.

Just one more point, if the item is light and customs dec is less than Baht 1,000. it will go straight thru the post. If there is duty payable on a postal item, and there is no customs (like Korat) it means a 500kms round trip to BKK to clear and pay to get it from the central postal customs office. Courier services pay the customs duty straight up (and they don't care how much) and you pay before they will give the item to you.

So much for efficient commerce.

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
I got my Corbin second hand on Ebay. It was shipped insured airmail, which is the safest method in my opinion. Small amount of duty paid at the post office.

Oct 17, 2006
very usefull information, would anybody have similar insights for deliveries from Europe ?
Trying to import some spare parts,

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Same experience with DHL in Chiangmai. Name, addres and phone number on the packet but they could not find my place nor a phone to contact me. Finally I contacted the shipper in Taiwan to find out when and how it was shipped and contacted DHL. No service when I went overthere and they could not even apologize.

Good experience with FedEx in Chiangmai. My GPS cam from the US and was propmptly delivered within 1 hour they received it from their office in BKK.

Offroadlanna

quote:

Originally posted by harrythefinn

From previous efforts of DHL Thailand, ie. non delivery with the item sitting in their local office for 10 days with the local phone number on top, and address clearly marked, I cannot recommend them to anyone. When queried about the "Express Delivery" item they said "oh it's over there" , I said fine , why didn't you deliver it? Couldn't find the address was the answer. The street is in the city , has 6 buildings in it,the numbers on the delivery address are 3 foot high!(they couldn't bother to phone) Maybe it is the local office only (Korat).Was the Fedex in CM? Could it be local offices doing the dirty like Korat or is the BKK office?

I can also recommend the US Postal Service, cheaper and the same service as a courier.

Just one more point, if the item is light and customs dec is less than Baht 1,000. it will go straight thru the post. If there is duty payable on a postal item, and there is no customs (like Korat) it means a 500kms round trip to BKK to clear and pay to get it from the central postal customs office. Courier services pay the customs duty straight up (and they don't care how much) and you pay before they will give the item to you.

So much for efficient commerce.

Oct 17, 2006
Fedex in Bangkok are corrupt and incompetant , so many people i know have lost stuff through them and been charged twice, once in the states and then Thai office want payment again,

even head office of Fedex in the states said to me dont use us to net stuff to thailand as thai office is useless.We shipped over $20,000 worth off stuff through Fedex and lost half of it.
Another local business lost almost $36,000 worth of special drills .

We use post office for small stuff and DHL for bigger stuff or a shipping agent.

jerry