Denied Entry At Poi Pet From Thailand!

Discussion in 'Cambodia - General Discussion Forum' started by faynce, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Col Douglas

Col Douglas New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    #26 Col Douglas, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    The part what differs from Laos is that Cambodian customs don't issue a temporary import paper's?

Not sure why you mentioned Laos, but Cambodia doesn't have any temporary import papers or system in place. Just ride out of Thailand (or Laos) and the same upon your return. The only time I was asked for any customs paper's for my Thai bike was crossing from Cambodia to Laos, the Cambodian asked for import paper's, but we both knew that the only paper he wanted was USD.

Insurance was a legal requirement in Laos and I bought it as soon as I crossed the border. Whereas, I'm unaware of any legal requirement in Cambodia for insurance. If you can get insurance it would be good to have. From my experience if you have an accident its going to be down to your negotiating skills, whether it was your fault or not. Involvement of the local police is probably going to make things worse (for you). Also, don't expect the other driver/rider to have insurance, driving licence or money for that matter.
    Hope this helps

2. Azoulay

Azoulay Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hi Friends, Hi Col,

I just posted few days ago a question on border crossing with my car from Thailand to Cambodia, at date no answer, GT-Rider is not anymore what it was years ago but OK...
    Maybe you know if we need a Carnet de Passage for the bike/car or a kind of International passeport for the car/bike.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Keep the Power On !

3. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Cambodia is not a Carnet country and has never been so either. But in some cases the latest years international travellers have used a Carnet, or got it stamped at least when entering Cambodia with vehicles from Europe, Australia, America etc. So at some bordercrossings into Cambodia there are definetively a certain knowledge of the use of a Carnet and maybe some expectations that international travellers should have it. But this doesnt go for thai vehicles at all. So if your vehicle is thai plated you should not be worried about this.

Another thing I have read lately on international traveller forums is that now you need a certain permit from central authorities in Phnom Penh to be able to enter Cambodia. Its mentioned that it can be prearranged, but I have also heard about travellers that had to leave their vehicle at the border and take a bus from the border to Phnom Penh and arrange the the permits themself there and then take a bus back again. As I understand this permit thing might also be a mandatory thing for thai vehicles, although Im far from sure about it.
    I also know that the smaller borders into Cambodia such as O’Smach in Surin province and Hat Lek in Trat province seldom has such demands. One of those borders are probably youre best option to avoid any document problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Azoulay

Azoulay Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hi Friends, Hi Dodrogen,

Thanks for your answer, I'll continue to investigate on that but for sure I will try to cross border around Hat Lek in Trat.

I plane this trip for June and will let you and GT-Rider Friends let you know about it.

Keep the Power On !

• Like Like x 1
  5. matt939

matt939 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I also would be interested in those questions. No customs declaration for temporary imported vehicles needed? And how about insurance?

6. Jimenator

Jimenator Active Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Nothing has really changed for entering Cambodia by car or bike from Thailand. Thai cars (and bikes) can still enter at Koh Kong and O'Smach as usual. There are occasional reports of O'Smach holding onto registration documents to ensure you exit the same way but usually this is not the case. If you enter very early or late in the day you can probably avoid customs altogether as there'll be no one in the hut. Even during the day, especially around lunch time the hut may be unmanned. Or you could just wing it and not stop at the hut at all (it's unlikely anyone would notice, but do this at your own risk).

Permits are required for other borders for ALL foreign registrations. Exceptions apply to Thai vehicles travelling locally within the border town only (reciprocated by Thai customs for Cambo vehicles entering at these borders). Indeed at Koh Kong they are strict about not letting you pass if you don't agree to have your registration held with customs. Last year I saw a Malaysian car that was refused entry because the driver either didn't bring along his/her registration, didn't let customs keep it or told them he was planning on driving beyond Koh Kong province. Other Malaysian registrations were held by customs (I saw 5 Malaysian cars heading in the direction of Koh Kong later that evening as I was heading towards Sihanoukville).

7. Jimenator

Jimenator Active Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    No insurance available at the border BUT it's possible to arrange it in a larger city or via a broker/tour agency who will also arrange the official customs paperwork.

Most people just take the risk and don't bother with it. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to plan trips weeks or months in advance, especially not local Thais who just want to do some business or trading in Cambodia. They generally don't have thousands of Baht to make everything official.

Ditto for me, I travel to neighboring countries for both business and pleasure and either decide on a whim to go, or only know my exact travel dates a few days beforehand. Having to plan everything a month or so in advance would be a deal breaker for me and many other people.

8. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The permit thing for international vehicles in Cambodia is certainly new. It was never heard of amongst overlanders before approx last half of last year. So certainly there is something that has changed there too....

9. Jimenator

Jimenator Active Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #34 Jimenator, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Somehow I doubt that. Only O'Smach and Koh Kong allow foreign vehicles in without a permit and that has been the case for years. It's highly unlikely they would have welcomed third country vehicles which just showed up before mid last year - in fact, I read an interesting blog about a Singaporean car refused entry at Poipet in 2016 and before the Chinese were restricted to enter Thailand, some attempted to enter Cambodia at Poipet and were refused too. Koh Kong holds onto your registration and doesn't allow travel outside the province but now overlanders from third countries may be more restricted than before. O'Smach should still be OK though. In any case, third country registrations (other than Malaysian and Singaporean) are extremely rare in Cambodia. I haven't seen any for a few years now.

10. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Can you mention one example of an overland vehicle/traveller that needed a permit to enter Cambodia from Thailand before 2017?

About overlanders in Cambodia: I read weakly about different kind of overlanders in Cambodia on different kind of forums and facebook groups. For example Sihanoukville is now used as a shipping international vehicles into and from point since Thailand started their mandatory permit/guide rules in 2016.
    Just because you havent spotted one doesnt mean that they dont exist.....