Doi Pha Chang Wildlife Preserve!!

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
During a day ride without any agenda, I saw some men coming out of a trail with rifles. No trails or road on my GPS and I went to have a look.
I had an idea of the area but that it would take me to 1188 was a surprise. And this being a wildlife preserve area!
More like closing the barn door after the horse has run away.
Doi%20Pha%20Chang-S.jpg

Not really a wet season ride mostly because of all the bamboo forest, they tend to fall over the trails.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%201-L.jpg

This and a couple of other signs gave me hope to carry on.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%202-L.jpg

Smooth going and no sign of wildlife or farming.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%203-L.jpg

A tiny village without much life.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%204-L.jpg

Before I got to se any of the wildlife they want to preserve I came across new farmland and expanding farmland. I think I saw a bird prior to this.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%205-L.jpg

I kept to the tracks leading south and this is a dead end in a really nice valley.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%20a-L.jpg

And the only wildlife I saw was this man, his wife, his bike and his rifle. He was good at giving directions but lost all interest when I asked to se his catch.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%20b%201-L.jpg

If you don't have a rifle this might be a way of hunting too.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%206-L.jpg

But heck, what do we Farang know.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%207-L.jpg

Even the nice view could not cheer me up after the fires and lack of wildlife.

Doi%20Pha%20Chang%208-L.jpg

But this great good old fashioned gravel road did a lot to my mood. (From 1188)

All on OSM map.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ughetto

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Nice report Oddvar.....burn baby burn.

It looks like that was a hot day on the trail. Its a pity so much of the so called "protected areas" are being cleared.

Thanks for the track mate.

Moto-Rex

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks for this one Oddvar.
It looks you rode through the northern edge of the Doi Pha Chi area -an old communist strong hold.

Doi Phachi - Doi Pha Chang in the early 70s this was the CPT headquarters for "Area 12." It was a communist base camp for which the mission of the PLA infiltrators was said to be military training of insurgents . There was a serious battle in here between the Communists & the Thai army in 73.