Entering Cambodia (likely Entry Point Being Osmach), But Need Info...

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Hi all, looking for advice please.

I would like to enter Cambodia for a short trip to Siam Reap.
It seems the border point of least hassle is Osmach, is that correct?
Or do you have any suggestions of alternatives?

The paperwork process seems to be same/similar to Laos, yes?

Also, currently I am on a two year Thai license (unfortunately when I renewed it I was temporarily on a visa waiver, so they only allowed my 5 year license to be renewed as a 2 year ..sigh... )
Is there any issue about that? Do I need a Thai IDP too? (I think I cant get an IDP on a 2 year though..)

Insurance seems to be no-go, right? or...? Any insurance options o_O?

Any points to be aware of?

Also, I will need to blackout / tape my lights, I believe, for daytime travel?

I plan to go when smog hits the north, so have some time yet to consider options.
Nothing yet set in stone.

Main purpose is to visit Angkor Wat and surrounding areas. Any tips would be great for that too.
I want to take my bike into the national park. Any dramas?

Finally (and sorry for such a long post)…

Would it be possible to then ride up and into Laos or would I need to exit out again at Osmach?
Would be great if I could ride into Laos and up through Loas, then out at a different border back into Thailand.

Thanks for any advice..!

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Hi Z,

we entered via Osmach recently, see here, Ride To Angkor Wat And Battambang
I have the 5year Licence, no IDP was requested at any point.
No insurance options at the border, I believe if you arrange the trip in advance via Phnom Phen and get some offcial vehicle paperwork then insurance maybe an option but am not 100%.
You can ride into the national park, I acidentally rode in before buying my ticket as the checkpoint was in a car park on the right hand side of the road for this particular entry but, a chap with a whistle soon put me right, I u turned and spoke with him, he was super friendly and advised me to get my day ticket and return, easy to do, this ticket gets you in to many temples and sites amd most entrances are quite obvious.
Many opinions on taping the lights, I just popped the main headlight fuse at the border, see here for others thoughts, lights on by daytime a problem in Cambodia?.

i've seean Preah Vihear temple from the thai side and it's great, I've heard the ride up from the Cambodian side is good so worth looking into.
Everyone is super friendly in Siem Reap, even the tuk tuk guys who still smile after your polite' no thanks I have my own bike'.

Oh and ps, downloading google offline maps was a big help, same idea as Laos in terms of the biggest vehicle has the right of way.

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Thanks so much for that info and will read up on your trip.

Good to know you can enter into the national park as I read a few conflicting stories on that one.

Aiming to get a little more informed for this trip, just because I know Cambodia can be a bit more tricky in terms of greasing palms and possible scams popping up etc. I can handle a bit of it, but I don't want it to put a huge dampener on the trip.

I have been wanting to return to Siam Reap/Angkor Wat for many years and its been on my bucket list in recent years to do it on my own bike. I will be a bit sad if it gets spoiled by red tape drama.

Im probably thinking too much though!

It will just be a small taster trip and nothing overly adventurous. A ride into the city and the national park over a couple of days then back out. The icing on the cake would be if I can go to the Laos border and ride up through Laos, but it looks like that's not possible.

Thanks again! :D

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I did enter Cambo at O’Smach with my norwegian plated bike around 4 years ago and had absolutely no problems there. They dont register you at all and no TVIP documents are handed out. I exited at Ko Khong/Hat Lek in Trat province and it was smooth as silk there too. It will of course be a bit different with a thai plated bike, but I dont think you will have any problems entering Cambo at O’Smach.

Havent heard about any insurance in Cambo either, dont think its available to foreigners on foreign plated bikes.

I did run headlights on my bike as it is the way the lights are set up and connected and I ran through several police check points with no problems.

Another thing is the traffic in Cambo, in Thailand they sometimes are pretty ignorant towards motorbikes on the highways but in Cambo they absolutely dont give a s*** about you - so be observant and alerted.

The road from O’Smach to Siem Reap was supernice back in 2015 so I only spent 2-3 hours down there. It could be different by now of course.

Also the road from Siem Reap to Stung Treng was supernice, freshly paved in 2015 (if youre going to Laos) but it could have changed by now of course.

Going from Cambo to Laos has always been the easy way, from Laos to Cambo has been the PITA way.
But then again entering Laos has become more complicated the last years. I havent heard of anyone on a thai plated bike crossing that border lately. If I were you I would have given it a try. Its not that far from the Sa Ngam border IF you are turned back.

Anyhow - good luck with your trip and keep us updated!

Reactions: ZCM

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Do the Cambo visa online. And save yourself a page in your passport. (2-3 working days to process)
Never had a problem going from Cambo to Laos. They will use your Thai export papers to clear you for Laos.
Happy riding.

Reactions: ZCM and Dodraugen

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
...another concern I have and hoping for advice please.

When visiting the national park and leaving your bike to explore and walk around, did you worry about security or damage/theft of your bike?

Also..

If traffic police stop you for any reason, what might a typical fine amount be ?

Any other issues regarding safety etc in this way that I should take note of?

I figured best to be a little informed even if over thinking.

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Never had an issue with the bike in the Naional parks, most spots we stopped had a drinks/food vendor, or several park rangers at a table and it felt safe parking nearby and and going walkabout. Didn't get stopped once by police, around Siem Reap the vibe seems to be that they want tourists to come, have a good experience, leave happy and reccomend others to come on tripadvisor etc. I did carry a clean 5 dollar bill in a quick to access pocket in case of any hassle but never needed it.

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Thanks both.
I wasn't thinking about it much before, but I recently met a couple of riders that had been in Cambodia, who started retelling horror stories. I have visited Siam Reap before, but around 11 years ago (general tourist thing), so wasn't sure if a lot had changed. They emphasized how rife theft was and that people would be coming up to the bike to nick anything that wasn't securely locked and that bike theft is common place.
So ended up a bit ":confused::oops::worried:"

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Back again :p

Regarding bike permit...
How to possibly apply for this in advance (and then also get insurance sorted with it)?
I send document to PP right?
Anyone know the process? Thanks...

Jimenator

Ol'Timer
Jul 5, 2016
Thailand
Don't leave jackets or helmets on your bike, but other than that you should be OK. I haven't heard of bike theft being a common thing in Cambodia these days. I could be wrong, but given how much more wealth there is these days (you even see luxury cars parked all over the place now and no one seems to break into these) and you're not riding an everyday 100cc scooter I doubt anyone would dare to cause trouble for you...

cashusacb500

Apr 17, 2018
Moving to Cambodia, retired over10 yrs Thailand,Packed (1hour)3 suitcases and Ton camping gear on my TH. lic CB500F Honda...3 ??? Is there a bike size limited ??? and CAM customs going make me unpack everything, last ??? how to Reply to how long you stay in Cambodi. Maybe 6-12 months.....not a month....crossing near TRAT...any problems customs FEES used stuff.. ....THANKS...age 75..