Epic Awesomness! Cruising the Mekong with the GT-Riders!

Dec 27, 2007
Moto-Rex;297598 wrote: Great report Tony, and truly amazing videos Oddvar, what a ride.

Thanks for sharing, and making those like me completely envious.

When it comes to being adventurous, you guys are the real deal.

Moto-Rex
Cheers Rex!

I'd really hoped we could talk you into changing your flight home so that you could join us on this adventure- I understand you're the one who first spotted that trail over the mountains and planted the seed in Brian's noggin to try and get through. :thumbup:

We did get through eventually, but not on the trail you discovered and Brian plotted. More on that in a bit!

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Looks like it was a real Fun trip.
I've just made the mistake of asking a Lao friend what the 'Free case Village' sign means. It's nothing to do with a free case of beer Lao. It's sort of saying the Village is certified Criminal Free or something like that. You can see the Scales of Justice there. The blue sign next to that is saying it's a Clean/hygienic Village also. So just like the Clean food sign you get all over Thailand in restaurant's , maybe :-?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
TonyBKK;297381 wrote:
Gorgeous spot tho! Our gps track overlayed onto Google earth:
Feb26thPakLayToJungleCamp_040.jpg
What a spot this was Pha Liap

299348=19258-GTR-Pha%20Liap_01.jpg

299348=19260-GTR-Pha%20Liap_03.jpg

299348=19259-GTR-Pha%20Liap_02.jpg

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
The day after our misadventure where we ended up being arrested, we had another try to to find a trial between Muang Meth and Muang Fuang. We did not get through this day either. This video will show what happened.
Stay tuned for more misadventures with Bangkok Weekend Warriors in their continuing quest in Muang Meth..

Mar 30, 2010
Epic... Love the Fukashima dust cloud when you hit the deck...

Not to be out done by naked bend ford.

We were slightly off track on the gps and ended up here with the lovely local ladies taking a bath as we arrived.

Rush for clothing and cover up.

Will dig out my gps tracks and overlay on Google earth.
We were so close to joining up with the main track we took the next day.

What a ripper trip!!!

Oddvar the nan / bangkok weekend warrior ( when not in the north Sea looking for mh 370)

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
Fantastic Amazing and Yes, Awesome Adventure!. Well done guys..... What a memorable trip!!!!. Really enjoyed reading all that. Thanks for the post, gave me a good laugh today...Great pics and great videos..... Looking forward to seeing the next episode of the Misadventures of the Bangkok Weekend warriors..... Bring it on....

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Davidfl;299348 wrote: What a spot this was Pha Liap

299348=19258-GTR-Pha%20Liap_01.jpg

299348=19260-GTR-Pha%20Liap_03.jpg

299348=19259-GTR-Pha%20Liap_02.jpg

Maybe this will all disappear one day in the not too distant future

Despite all the international flak it is taking for the Mekong dams - Xayaboury & Don Sahong - it looks like Laos is powering on "full speed ahead" & the next Mekong dam will be the Pak Lay dam.

New information to hand:

A recent meeting with the vice governors of Xayaboury, Vientiane, Chinese contractors & the Lao govt Water Resources Department concluded that seven villages will resettled to pave the way for the dam. There are 3 villages In Xayaboury Province - Pha Lieb, Huay Khay, Pak Toung & 4 villages - Pak Pen, Done Xayngam, Na-Oudom Tai, & Pak Yan - in Med District of Vientiane Province.
This converts to 409 families in Pak Lay district & 380 families in Med district.
The Pak Lay dam is planned to be run of the river, with a height of 51 metres.

Enjoy it while you can guys,..maybe another GTR Mekong Boat Trip Part __ is well worth doing?

Dec 27, 2007
Oddvar;300378 wrote: The day after our misadventure where we ended up being arrested, we had another try to to find a trial between Muang Meth and Muang Fuang. We did not get through this day either. This video will show what happened.
Stay tuned for more misadventures with Bangkok Weekend Warriors in their continuing quest in Muang Meth..

OMG Oddvar, the last 10 seconds made me spit out my beer I was laughing so hard! Another brilliant vid, can't wait for the next adventure!!!