Exploring the floods in northern Bangkok on Kawasaki Versys, October 23rd, 2011

Dec 27, 2007
Went out to do some exploring last night. Here's the route I took:

Oct23FloodTourMapSSR.jpg

Link for anyone who's interested- http://maps.google.c...,5,7,8&t=m&z=12

Central Bangkok remains very dry.

No water anywhere along Thanon Pradit Manudarm (Ram Intra Expressway)

Ram Intra (304) is bone dry except for where it crosses the Khlong Prapa Canal (Thanon Prachachuen) near Laksi:
LaksiMapSSR.jpg

The canal is overflowing and the roads in this area are under a foot or two of water, but traffic can still get through.

Continuing West on Chaeng Wattana (304) the road is again dry until you cross the bridge over the Chao Phraya river at Pak Kret:
ChaiyaPruekRdMapSSR.jpg

After the bridge Chaiya Pruek road is closed and only very large trucks can continue.
Oct23FloodTour1SSR.jpg

Next I headed North-East on Tiwanon Road (306) in the direction of Pratum Thani. Tried again to head west towards Bang Bua Thong on the 307 but again, after crossing the river the road is closed. Here the water was so deep that only boats could proceed-
Route307MapSSR.jpg

Backtracked to the 306 and continued NE until just after the Khlong Prapa Canal at which point the road is deeply flooded and closed-
306PrapaMapSSR.jpg

End of the line- only boats can continue north from this point:
Oct23FloodTourSSR.jpg

Tried to get back to Vipawadee-Rangsit via Thanon Song Prapa road but it was flooded just east of the canal-
Oct23VersysFloodSSR.jpg

Large trucks were still getting through though.
ThanonSongPrapaMapSSR.jpg

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that things are being managed as best they can. Most areas are reporting that water levels have already begun to drop. There are conflicting reports about the volume of water that remains and whether we should expect another surge of northern runoff.

We've been very lucky to have had no significant rain for the past 4-5 days. It's been so hot and dry the last few days that the city has resumed watering the plants and medians. I imagine however that heavy rains could quickly change the entire flood crisis for the worse.

Let's hope for more sunny skies!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Oct 11, 2009
Tony

Intresting report I got an E mail from my friend he lives in Banckok (BK) he says people are expecting the worse at the moment. I arrive a week on friday and was thinking of picking a bike in BK and heading North so any information very much appriciated.
thanks

Safe riding

Paul

Oct 11, 2009
Hello Tony

Any update on floods in Bangkok the uk news says its geting worse I arrive next Friday so have an active intrest.
Safe riding
Paul