Export Motorcycle to Australia

Aug 3, 2004
Export Motorcycle
I decided to export one of my Phantoms to Australia so I would have something to ride both there and here. To satisfy Aus Customs import requirements you need to own and use a motorcycle overseas for 1 year prior to importation so I sent the Blue 2004 TA 200C, first registered here new in Oct 2004.
It was quite a process and I have detailed all the requirements here for anybody considering doing the same. It was also quite expensive although considerably cheaper than selling and buying the same in Australia. Requirements are set out on the Australian Customs / Transport website, www.dotars.gov.au/rvcs
1. Customs Approval. Before shipment Aus Customs approval to import into Aus is required. To do this you download the application Form from the website and fill it in. $50.00 fee. It took about 3 weeks for approval and it will only be posted to an Australian address.
You will need to enclose copies of;
Passport
Statement of Travel. Details of travel during qualifying period.
Purchase Invoice. Copy of original Thai Invoice plus translated copy
Thai Language Registration Book. All pages of Green Book
English Language Translation of Registration Book. Certified true translation.
Vehicle Registration Certificate
Drivers Licence
Current Registration and Insurance stickers.
Evidence that the owner was present with the vehicle and owned and used it overseas for 12 months prior to import.

Thai End. Once approval is granted things can start moving at the Thai end;
2. Transport Office. For the Shipper to get export clearance, the bike will need to be de registered at the office at which it is registered. You need to front up with all the same documents you needed to register the bike ie Passport, proof of residency, green book. They will then issue a “Permit to Export” form, and Stamp and give you back the Green Book and 2 White Registration cards like the renewal card you get when you renew registration on the bike.
These all need to be left with the Shipper.
3. Shipping. Shipping was taken care of by Wrang Mark Corp Ltd who handle everything from the time it is delivered to the wharf until it arrives in Brisbane. Contact person Chanchai ([email [email protected]][email protected][/email])
4. Boxing. To reduce the size of the box I removed the front wheel and mudguard, handlebars and rear no plate bracket. The dimensions of the box are 190 x 65 x 1.0 = 1.273m3 and it weighs about 300kg. You pay by size not weight. I made up a wooden pallet by joining 2 old ones together to give me the length. I put some new full length pieces in also to maintain strength. I reduced the width also to 65cm. The bike was then tied down to brackets on the pallet with 4 ropes and a bracket over the front axle. I used dexion angle for the corners and used 3 ply for the walls. If I was doing it again I would use heavier ply because the 3 ply here has a soft centre and I think it might crumble when wet. A couple of braces were put inside to try to prevent sideways movement. The front wheel was tied beside the bike and I bought 2 new tyres which were useful for packing. The ply top was screwed on with a plastic cover to keep it dry. The box cost me about B800 and took about 3 days to complete. It will be OK so long as they don’t drop it or tip it over

103244391-S.jpg

103244392-S.jpg

5. Costs
Below are all expenditures to ship your motorcycle to Brisbane.
Export customs clearance = Bht. 3,500/shipment (B5200)
Export documents = Bht. 1,500/shipment (B1500)
Forklift charge = Bht. 1,000/job (B1000)
Fumigation charge = Bht. 6,500/shipment (B6500)
Phytosanitary charge = Bht. 1,500/shipment (B1500)
Seafreight = USD 50/cubic meter (outer size) (B2390)
Bill of Lading fee = Bht. 500/consignment (B500)
Marine insurance = 2% of the declare value (B1000)

Conditions :-
1) Above rates are covered for shipment port to port only.
2) Above rates are not including of all destination local charges which will be incurred in Australia such as Australian port charge , CFS , THC ,documentation fee , import customs clearance , import duties and etc.
There were also a few extra charges which took the total to just under THB20 000

5. Delivery to Wharf This was another drama and I tossed up whether to rail it or send it by trucking company. Considerations of security/theft, damage, delivery time convinced me to deliver it personally by ute to Bangkok thus reducing its exposure to outside tampering. So a couple of Thai friends and myself left late at night and drove the 600km to Klong Tuay arriving at around 0530and at 0730 delivered it to Shed 14 Export Terminal, Arj Na Rok exit. After more drama with Chanchai not able to attend and his stand in late, we got away from the wharf by 10 30am. I handed in the Green Book, Permit to Export, and showed them my Passport and paid them cash. They then took care of export documentation fumigation etc and and I got all the documentation by email about a week later.
6. Brisbane End They have a shipment going to Brisbane every week and estimate a 21-22 day delivery time. My brother who lives in Brisbane will be on hand with the trailer to pick it up. He also has the Dotars approval documents. I am not sure what costs will be involved there but will add those to the report when I know.

It’s on the water now
Cheers Peter

"The Journey is the Destination"

Jun 21, 2006
Peter great article, I have a Phantom 150 I was thinking of sending to OZ for the same reason as you, I have a garage there to store it in, and as you say, at least have something to ride there each time i visit.

Dont know if you are aware but they sell the 200 Phantom in OZ its badged as a Shadow. They also sell the Repsol NSR 150 which is basically the same engine as mine, so shouldnt be any problem with spares.

A friend of mine is doing a good trade, sening NSR bits to OZ, pistons, body panels, and especially decals are so much cheaper here than OZ

Aug 3, 2004
Hi again John,
It would have cost the same to send an expensive bike back to Aus except for GST but I have the phantom and you work with what you have. I am familiar with the Shadow version TA200 in fact last time home I tried to swap a boat for one with a dealer but he wouldn’t play. Didn’t know about the 150NSR.
The TA200 is a very reliable, comfortable, easy to ride and legal bike, although not as fast as your 150. Mine will do 130-135 tops. I am joining the local boys on a 450km run to Nhong Khai for bike night there this Saturday. I have the smallest bike, along with all the Harleys, BMW’s and other assorted big bikes, but I usually keep up OK. These guys can’t pass a town without stopping for gas or something, and they do tend to look after the old Farung
Still don’t know what is happening about the boat trip next year, Kim’s in Moscow at the moment!
Cheers,
Peter

Jun 21, 2006
Hi Peter

I met Dean at MotoGP Sepang and he filled me in on your adventures. I am trying to consolidate my bikes, (if thats the right word), and soon wont be needing the Phantom, have not long been back from a trip in OZ, and as you know, bikes more expensive than cars, 2nd hand, and to hire.

Thats why I have been toying with the idea of shipping Phantom back,being 2 stroke, less things to seize up, (no valve train), as bike would just be sitting in gagare the time i am away, dont have anyone to start it up.

And as you say, seeing I have the bike already, might just as well send it over.

Do you have any photos, you mention it in your article

cheers

John
ps Guy acroos the street just paid about 2,000 baht to get his 200cc Phantom bored out to 250, he's just running it in at present

Aug 3, 2004
Progress ? Report
The phone woke me at 0715 this morning, it was brother Paul at the Customs Office in Brisbane, trying to clear the bike through Customs. It arrived yesterday. The plan was good – go to the Shipping Agent at Eagle Farm pay the clearing charges, go to Customs in the City 15 km away, pay the GST and get the clearance, then go to Fishermans Island Wharf another 20km away and pick up the box and take it home. The first request was for a copy of the original purchase Invoice. I had supplied this to Dotars to get approval for import but evidently there is no communication between Dotars and Customs so I faxed them a copy right away. 4 hours later and umpteen forms filled out, another call for a detailed pricing of some kids things of no real value I had put in the box, partly as fill, so I faxed that. 2 hours after that Paul was still at Customs. It seems they want to Xray the box and want to know everything inside it. Why they didn’t just get him to take the lid off and have a look I don’t know – got to justify all that Hi Tech gear I suppose. He was at Customs for 6 hours with the car and trailer taking up expensive parking in the city and still has to go back in 2 days after they Xray the box. They’re even talking about another fumigation.
Hopefully there will be no storage charges and they don’t drop it.- - - more to follow!!
Maybe the Thai’s aren’t so bad after all ?

PS; John I have asked Paul to take some photos when he eventually gets to see the box. You will by now have seen the ones above
I would like to know how the 200 to 250 Phantom performs and the top speed. Do you know what piston he used ?

Jun 21, 2006
Peter

How much GST were you slugged for

Will have a word with the guy opposite, he is over 60, and doesnt ride much, (not that the age has to do with it...), but will find out the shop he used and will see them, they obviously will be able to say what pistons etc they used, you know, before your next trip to OZ, you could bore out your existing barrell to 250, and swap them over when you get there

cheers

John

Aug 3, 2004
EXPORT BIKE TO AUSTRALIA -- PART 2

Brisbane End.
I thought that this would be the easy part, having done all the right things and got pre approval for import from the Dept of Transport, but not to be.
When he had been notified by the shippers of the bikes arrival, Paul went to the shippers and picked up the documents and paid them for local charges. He then went to Customs in the city and started filling in forms and answering questions. They also wanted a detailed costed list of everything that was in the box. I had included a few odds & ends to fill some space, kids stuff & not worth much. I also had a detailed list of new parts with the bike. A few faxes later and that was fixed. Six hours later and Paul was still in their office with the car and trailer parked in expensive city parking and they decided they want to Xray and quarantine the box. This took 2 days and then Paul again went to the city office, got the clearance, paid the Tax after waiting for their computers which had crashed, and went to the Wharf 20 km away to pick up the bike. When he got there he had to put on a coloured safety vest and safety glasses and was shuffled to several offices, ignored from behind darkened windows and then told he had to pay for Quarantine.(never mind the 24 hrs fumigation it got in Bangkok) They then decided they wanted to do a visual inspection for dirt on the bike. So off came the lid of the box (60screws) and they had a look inside and declared it clean. Why they didn’t look inside instead of the Xray I don’t know. The next demand was for storage because it had not been cleared from the wharf within two days of arrival. Paul jacked up about this and so they let him off. The only redeeming feature of the day was that they forklifted the box onto the trailer – free of charge, and he was finally out of there. 2 days off work for clearance. Bangkok is looking pretty efficient.

Brisbane End Detailed Costing;
Shippers, Globelink Int 273.91
Customs City 442.99
P&DTransport Quarantine 68.10
Total 785.00 785
Total Costing
Bangkok end B20 000.00 @ conversion rate of 29:1 = AUD690
Brisbane end B22 765.00 @ conversion rate of 29:1 = AUD785

Total Bangkok + Brisbane AUD 1475 or B42 765.

This costing does not include boxing or delivery to the wharf in Bangkok and from the wharf in Brisbane.
The Customs hit was the worst. Because of ownership and citizenship criteria being met there was no Import Duty, all of the Customs costs are for GST. This means that they valued it at $4299.00. This is pretty steep considering I paid B84500 (AUD2913) two years ago. I will be contesting this when I get back to Aus in Dec. (It’s the Australian thing to do?)
Even so it has still been worthwhile, and considerably less than the alternatives, besides it is politically easier to tell the wife you are bringing your bike home than going out and springing for a new one and prioritizing it over furniture etc.

112829039-S.jpg

Photo: Customs Brisbane.

112829047-S.jpg

Photo: On Trailer

112829054-S.jpg

Next Big thing -- Registration.
Cheers, Peter

Jun 21, 2006
Interesting Reading Peter, presume David will be adding fotos later

MMMMMMM not quite decided whether to send my Phantom over or not, but if I do, would probably arrange it so i can be at Sydney to meet it.

Great for all the info and prices, at least I know what I would be letting myself in for

cheers

Johno

Oct 7, 2006
wot an interesting story,when it comes to paper work,,,filling out forms and things,,i would b the worlds worst,i hate these people who critacize us ,,be cause we dont dot the i,s or cross the t,s...xray the bike,,how stupid,spose that cost you..why didnt they just rip the top off and have a look inside,,as u say,,i think they make the rules up as they go along....amazing wot some people will do to justify there imployment,,,,good luck

Oct 7, 2006
just another thing ,,i for got to mention a couple of weeks ago a guy put a post in here..quote..would love to do a trip report,,.....most of us here are just average joes...writers and authors we aint.i have put many posts in here and nearlly all have spelling mistakes,,,as other people do,,,come on mate,,,,share some of yr lifes experiances with us,,nobody is going to jump down your throat because u made a simple spelling mistake,,hmmmm spelling,, wot du u guys thunk aboot these subgett

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Pete,
I had a similar experience coming back into Darwin from East Timor last year, although I had my bike steam cleaned by Perkins Freighters who shipped my bike from Dili to Darwin.
I flew into Darwin ahead of the bike and waited for the ship to arrive. below is an part out of my diary.......
Finally the Tuesday after the Easter holiday dawned, you beauty I can now get my bike out of customs. As usual the Aussy Customs and Quarantine Departments are pretty efficient; however I didn’t expect to pay the QD, a sum of $75A for the privilege to let me know my bike was clean! I met up with the Customs guys at 2.30pm; there was 2 officers, a young woman in her 20’s (a generation X) and her superior, whom I had met at the office earlier. We all jumped into the Customs car and headed off to where Doris was waiting. The first thing I noticed was a ring of white salt, about 25mm wide, surrounding her, asking the officer what it was for, he answered,” just in case you brought some Indonesian snails with you,” I replied, “ thank God for that, I thought it was another bloody religious ceremony.’
By this time the Generation Xer was diligently checking my Carnet off against the bikes frame and engine numbers, the trouble is she couldn’t find the engine number, I asked her would the rego papers do? Her immediate answer was, “No! I must check your engine number in case you got a new engine in Asia, therefore you would have to pay import tax.”
Not trying to offend the young lady, who was obviously very serious about her job, I replied, “why would I swap over a perfectly good engine, that’s still under BMW Warrantee, with a dodgy Asian copy? Even if I could find one!” Hearing this conversation, the older officer calmly looked under the motor and asked,” what was that number again?” “Oh, here it is right next to the sump plug, just sign the Carnet and we can go home.” He gives me a wink and off they went, and I was left with a signed Carnet and a bike ready to ride south. That guy must have good eyes, because there is a bash plate covering the sump plug.

Good fun getting back into Oz and I had a Carnet!

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by Peter Hooper
This means that they valued it at $4299.00. This is pretty steep considering I paid B84500 (AUD2913) two years ago. I will be contesting this when I get back to Aus in Dec. (It’s the Australian thing to do?

Just be aware that they usually load the GST with everything, shipping, other takes, duties, clearence costs, and then hit you with 10% of the total... b@st@rds...

Does anyone know bike costs in Japan??? My brother is living in Okinawa, so I thought I could get him to buy a 250 Baja and send it to me after 1 year if they are cheap...

Cheers,
Daewoo

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Go this from Schenker removals.

quote:

Dear Mike,

We can arrange the packing and shipping of the used motorbike for your friend

He will need to bring the motorbike to our warehouse in Rama IV Road, Bangkok ( located just across the road from our Sirinrat Building office)

If the motorbike is registered in Bangkok, we can cancel the registration for him. If it is registered outside Bangkok, he will need to do this himself

He also needs to bring the blue registration book and a signed copy of his passport to our warehouse with the bike

Our charges are as follows:

a) Origin charges including documentation ,handling, export customs clearance etc Baht 7,000
b) Packing and crating Baht 3,000 per cbm
c) Seafreight charges from Bangkok to Dubai port including local charges in Bangkok = Baht 2,550 per cbm
All charges are plus Thai VAT of 7%

These exclude all shipping line and port charges in Dubai and expenses for customs clearance and delivery

>From the dims you have supplied, gross volume of the wooden crate will be about 2.5 cbms which is about right for a large motorbike We do not have standard sized crates as we make each one individually to fit the motorbike ( or anything else we pack)

This gives you an idea of what is involved. If you would like a formal quotation, we will be pleased to supply this.