Fallibilities / Funnies / Stuff Ups..........

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Another hard day at the office
GTR - IMG_8633.JPG

Wat Phrathat Rattanakeree Sri Khoin Nakhon, Chiang Khong.

Reactions: scotty007

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
I came across this guy in a petrol station on the outskirts of Fang.

Looks to me to be a 1974 DT250. He told me he rides it every day.

So, that makes it about 45 years old, and its still going strong. You cant beat Yamaha quality.

DT250 yamaha (1).JPG

DT250 yamaha (2).JPG

The smell of two stroke when he started it up, awoke the senses.

DT250 yamaha (3).JPG

Moto-Rex

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
It says: Careful, 'rock drop' ahead. Not even Google can be that stupid, however, a coworker with a sense of humor getting back at a boss is more likely. Priceless nevertheless..

Steve Merchant

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2009
Maybe this will make DKT Dave feel better after losing his bike keys and having to rent a bike to come to MHS.
I came down from the memorial service at the temple on Saturday and parked the bike in the RomThai guest house garage expecting to walk around to get some food and then go over the Piya to meet the others and have a few drinks. But on going out my injured knee was hurting enough that I decided to take the bike, parked near the walking street food place, had a few snacks and then walked round to the Lotus to buy some beer. That in hand I walked the other way round to the Piya and joined the drinkers. At 9pm I walked back to the Romthai and showered and slept. Woke at 5.30am and reckoned on an early off to Tha Ton. Got the kit together, packed my little bag and walked out to the car park to get the bike. Not there! Oh Christ its been stolen. No, it been moved, the hotel didn't like it in the car space. T It was a full two minutes later that I remembered I had rode it down by the lake and lucky enough it was still there. Its not easy to 'forget' where you put a 170kg bike that you have just bought. That it was left on a quiet road, unlocked, and in a place I wasn't even sure was legal overnight parking and still there in the morning is a testament to the honesty of MHS folk. What a jerk!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Maybe this will make DKT Dave feel better after losing his bike keys and having to rent a bike to come to MHS.
I came down from the memorial service at the temple on Saturday and parked the bike in the RomThai guest house garage expecting to walk around to get some food and then go over the Piya to meet the others and have a few drinks. But on going out my injured knee was hurting enough that I decided to take the bike, parked near the walking street food place, had a few snacks and then walked round to the Lotus to buy some beer. That in hand I walked the other way round to the Piya and joined the drinkers. At 9pm I walked back to the Romthai and showered and slept. Woke at 5.30am and reckoned on an early off to Tha Ton. Got the kit together, packed my little bag and walked out to the car park to get the bike. Not there! Oh Christ its been stolen. No, it been moved, the hotel didn't like it in the car space. T It was a full two minutes later that I remembered I had rode it down by the lake and lucky enough it was still there. Its not easy to 'forget' where you put a 170kg bike that you have just bought. That it was left on a quiet road, unlocked, and in a place I wasn't even sure was legal overnight parking and still there in the morning is a testament to the honesty of MHS folk. What a jerk!

Nice one Steve. That reminds me of a few times I've rented a Honda Wave / Dream, parked the bike and come out to get on the bike and the key doesn't work, because I got on the wrong bike. 55

DKT Dave

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 25, 2019

As it turned out Steve I feel quite chuffed I had that last fermented coffee the night before I left for MHS. That decision set in course a chain of events that started with me leaving my key in that final coffee shop I visited that night, and culminated in my own motorcycle remaining quietly tucked away, safe and sound, in the car park of the Top North Hotel for the next 2 days!

I quickly located the key once I realized it was not in my possession, but also quickly discovered the coffee shop on Loi Kroh Rd that was safeguarding it for me would not be opening until 1700 hours that afternoon, therefore a quick pick up of the key, and being on my way to MHS was out of the question.

This resulted in a trip to Mr Mechanic for some locksmithing advice and an alternative solution. Alas, this was not to be, so I decided to rent a bike from them instead to get out to MHS.

On the way back to Chiang Mai I had the misfortune to meet an older Local gent who was on a quiet Sunday drive back to his home in Pai. More specifically I met his Toyota Hilux just before I met him, as he cut the corner at the last instant and implanted the Toyota grill badge head on into my rental bike, and thus myself and my passenger.

24572165-B303-4361-8158-CA3EC4BA12BB.jpeg

2893F946-1463-4EE2-B8A8-A7A788D036C2.jpeg

Mr Mechanic were fantastic....to say the least. They took care of everything and transported us and the bike (it was unrideable) back to Chiang Mai. I could not recommend them enough for anyone wanting to rent a bike, big or small, as their after sale customer service was just incredible, which is what you want immediately after you have been banged up on the road.

This was not a serious accident injury wise, with no broken bones or serious injury, but it could so easily have been if it had happened on a faster corner! A gentle reminder from the motorcycling gods that the inherent risk we accept as part of the motorcycling past time we indulge in, does not always have an outcome predicated by us!

Oh...and as an aside, that photo has not been reversed, nor has Thailand changed to driving in the right hand lane!

So.....if I hadn’t had the last cup of coffee prior to retiring for the evening, I would not have left my key, I would not have been on a rental, and my bike would be all smashed up, with me trying to sort the mess out!

Safe riding everyone! I know I’m not ready to become a name plaque on the Chedi just yet!!!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
As it turned out Steve I feel quite chuffed I had that last fermented coffee the night before I left for MHS. That decision set in course a chain of events that started with me leaving my key in that final coffee shop I visited that night, and culminated in my own motorcycle remaining quietly tucked away, safe and sound, in the car park of the Top North Hotel for the next 2 days!

I quickly located the key once I realized it was not in my possession, but also quickly discovered the coffee shop on Loi Kroh Rd that was safeguarding it for me would not be opening until 1700 hours that afternoon, therefore a quick pick up of the key, and being on my way to MHS was out of the question.

This resulted in a trip to Mr Mechanic for some locksmithing advice and an alternative solution. Alas, this was not to be, so I decided to rent a bike from them instead to get out to MHS.

On the way back to Chiang Mai I had the misfortune to meet an older Local gent who was on a quiet Sunday drive back to his home in Pai. More specifically I met his Toyota Hilux just before I met him, as he cut the corner at the last instant and implanted the Toyota grill badge head on into my rental bike, and thus myself and my passenger.

View attachment 143984

View attachment 143983

Mr Mechanic were fantastic....to say the least. They took care of everything and transported us and the bike (it was unrideable) back to Chiang Mai. I could not recommend them enough for anyone wanting to rent a bike, big or small, as their after sale customer service was just incredible, which is what you want immediately after you have been banged up on the road.

This was not a serious accident injury wise, with no broken bones or serious injury, but it could so easily have been if it had happened on a faster corner! A gentle reminder from the motorcycling gods that the inherent risk we accept as part of the motorcycling past time we indulge in, does not always have an outcome predicated by us!

Oh...and as an aside, that photo has not been reversed, nor has Thailand changed to driving in the right hand lane!

So.....if I hadn’t had the last cup of coffee prior to retiring for the evening, I would not have left my key, I would not have been on a rental, and my bike would be all smashed up, with me trying to sort the mess out!

Safe riding everyone! I know I’m not ready to become a name plaque on the Chedi just yet!!!
Nothing Funny about that! Incredible! So Lucky neither of You weren't hurt! Well done Mate! Catch up soon!

Reactions: DKT Dave

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

View attachment 143984

View attachment 143983

Indeed you're lucky day. It could have been so much worse - your own bike beaten up & having to negotiate crash repairs yourself, plus more severe bodily damage. A total winner to pull that one off. Now have you bought a # 7565 lottery ticket yet?
Mr Mechanic never ceases to impress me with their customer relations & back up service. I have seen it many times with other customers, & those gals are absolutely outstanding every time looking after their customers.

DKT Dave

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 25, 2019
Indeed you're lucky day. It could have been so much worse - your own bike beaten up & having to negotiate crash repairs yourself, plus more severe bodily damage. A total winner to pull that one off. Now have you bought a # 7565 lottery ticket yet?
Mr Mechanic never ceases to impress me with their customer relations & back up service. I have seen it many times with other customers, & those gals are absolutely outstanding every time looking after their customers.
Yes indeed. That was the first thing we did. Didn’t win a cracker!

DKT Dave

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 25, 2019
Glad to hear your ok Dave, the pick-up clearly in the wrong, did he have insurance ?
I don’t know Gav. The guy admitted all fault (surprise surprise) and it was sorted out between Ying from Mr Mechanic and him. The driver told them he would pay for all damages, and I walked away.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Spotted on R1155 today, returning from a GTR lunch at Phu Chi Fah & some of the roads were incredibly slippery, after a bit of rain.

1645204329123.png

1645204357855.png

1645204388623.png

An impressive nose dive
1645204422731.png

The driver was the happy guy in the short & burgundy polo shirt
1645204508611.png

He claims he lost control because of a mini bus. And happy he was to survive nicely.
1645204596390.png