Father and Son US Road Trip- 9 States, 12 National Parks, 2 Months, 6500 Miles!

Dec 27, 2007
Woohoo! We're in Yellowstone National Park!
f4b36fb3.jpg

It's a fair ride from the east entrance to the nearest campground and I know that Yellowstone fills up FAST so with no reservation we'd have to boogie if we were going to find a place to sleep tonight!
d06e8720.jpg

We must cross the Absaroka mountain range to reach the interior of Yellowstone National Park-
f2de5d1d.jpg

Great road, no traffic!
5b34791a.jpg

ae7fd3cb.jpg

It rained a bit- the huge screen on the Land Yacht kept us pretty dry though
icon10.gif

4c2dfc1a.jpg

The rain created lots of little waterfalls right next to the road-
e3c781df.jpg

Higher and higher we go!
8c396318.jpg

This road is closed during the winter, but a ranger told us that they did try one year to keep it open and it cost the National Park Service some $200,000 to do so.
eekers.gif

bf35bd4e.jpg

Sylvan Pass, at 8524 feet is one of the highest roads in Yellowstone National Park-
638602a0.jpg

It's flippin cold up here! 59 degrees is quite a contrast from the heat back in Cody!
3c1edc6b.jpg

Wait a sec, this bike has heated grips and seats. This is the first time to try them out- nice!
naughty.gif

We made it over the pass and start down the other side-
14b2257b.jpg

We soon see evidence of the Yellowstone Fires of 1988, which combined formed the largest wildfire in Yellowstone's recorded history.
7b0afa16.jpg

From Wikipedia- Starting as many smaller individual fires, the flames spread quickly out of control with increasing winds and drought and combined into one large conflagration, which burned for several months. The fires almost destroyed two major visitor destinations and, on September 8, 1988, the entire park was closed to all non-emergency personnel for the first time in its history. Only the arrival of cool and moist weather in the late autumn brought the fires to an end. A total of 793,880 acres (3,213 km[sup]2[/sup]), or 36 percent of the park was affected by the wildfires.
c1a8b7ac.jpg

Once over the mountains we began our descent and Yellowstone Lake soon appeared like a mirage through the trees.

The road drops right down to the lake and follows the shore all the way to Fishing Bridge where we turned right (north) onto the Grand Loop Road. It was raining and gray, not great picture taking weather.

I was aiming for Canyon Village and the Canyon Campground and stressing a bit about what we'd do if we couldn't find a campsite in the park.

Kristhawee was happy as a clam, warm and dry on the back of the bike and really excited to be in Yellowstone-
c0be9ef4.jpg

We made it to the Canyon Village and sure enough, the campsite was full... Hmmm... Let's go to the Canyon Lodge, grab something to eat and drink, and figure out what to do. By this time it was raining pretty hard and was looking pretty miserable. Not the kind of weather in which you want to be setting up a tent, that's for sure...

Hot chocolate for the little guy-
98b120aa.jpg

and a local beer on tap for me - ah, I feel better already!
naughty.gif

f3586007.jpg

There's a big, no, HUGE fireplace in the Canyon Lodge and I told Kristhawee to go warm up by the fire, but the sofas and chairs surrounding the fireplace were occupied by a bunch of tough looking Harley guys in leather and their women and Kristhawee was being shy.

So I took his hand and walked him over there and asked them if he could warm up by their fire. Of course they said yes and when they noticed we were wearing motorcycle gear we got to talking and as is so often the case, the tough guy image is replaced with smiles and warmth. They were from Montana and were just heading home after a long ride to Iowa. (We met a lot of HD folks coming from Iowa in July- apparently there was some big rally there.)

The women were kind of doting on Kristhawee and of course he was soaking it up and soon enough his shyness was gone and he was all over them- really fun to watch my son interact with strangers. I regret not taking any pictures.

It was still raining and if anything the weather outside was looking worse than before. I spoke to some other folks in the lodge and they said the forecast was for more rain and possible hail...

Hmmm, if that's really the case, I'd expect at least some people with reservations to cancel or no-show. With that in mind I bundled up Kristhawee and we walked back to the Canyon Campground where they have a "reservation desk" that handles bookings for all the big campgrounds in Yellowstone.

Sure enough, they had cancellations, but not at Canyon- we'd have to ride back the way we came and then head east along Yellowstone Lake to the Bridge Bay Campground about 20 miles away. Cool! At least we've got a place to sleep tonight!

We needed to get some food so we hit the General Store- Here's Kristhawee doing his bear impression-
a4b50287.jpg

By this time the rain had stopped, the sun came out, and it was time to hit the road! The Yellowstone River looked beautiful after the rain-
a4b3086c.jpg

4eb19c73.jpg

f17899cf.jpg

How quickly the weather can change! Riding south on the Grand Loop Road-
29b2a835.jpg

Ok, time for a little rant- the largest campgrounds in Yellowstone National Park are managed by a private company (Zanterra) sp? and are noisy, expensive and overpriced.

The queue for checking in to the campground was ridiculously long. The staff was friendly, but clearly they need more staff. And their computerized reservation system is farked- Bridge Bay is the largest campground in Yellowstone National Park and we were sent all the way to the "H" loop, only to discover that our spot was already occupied. And the nice folks there told us we were the first to come by with a double booking.

So we had to ride all the way back to the "check in" area, and I cut the line, because dammit, enough is enough, it's getting late, my kid is tired and hungry and we need to get this sorted. Again, the staff were very nice and apologetic and confessed that their computer system doesn't work very well.

Why is it that the corporate campgrounds are the most expensive, are understaffed and can't handle reservations, while the the old school campgrounds still managed by the National Park Service cost way less and work just fine?? Just another example of privatization run amok...

We were supposed to be in a "tent only" area but ended up surrounded by noisy RV's. It was late and I didn't want to ride all the way back to the check-in area a third time, so we stayed put, but in the future I will make a point to avoid the "corporate" campgrounds at Canyon, Bridge Bay, Madison and Grant Village. (And I discovered over the course of our trip that these corporate campgrounds exist in many National Parks and they are all equally over-priced, under-staffed and are lousy "value-for-money" compared to the remaining campsites that are still managed by the National Park Service.

Kristhawee didn't care one bit- he was just happy that we found a place to sleep!
fc459077.jpg

(that's the campground paperwork tucked into the seat in front of him)

I managed to get dinner going before the sun went down- You can see on the table the fishing pole that we bought earlier in the day in Cody- Kristhawee was really looking forward to doing some fishing! I taught him how to cast and he practiced casting while I set up the tent and finished cooking dinner.
7cc3e988.jpg

We managed to find enough wood for a fire and had some smores before calling it a night.
13835bcd.jpg

I was very happy that his injured toe didn't seem to bother him too much and still looked un-infected.

Tomorrow we start exploring Yellowstone National Park!! :happy1:

Dec 27, 2007
Good morning from Yellowstone National Park!
7b660e89.jpg

A bit chilly this morning at the Bridge Bay campground-
22e308b1.jpg

I discovered today that Kristhawee is not terribly fond of oatmeal
lol8.gif

8f86ff0b.jpg

Let's pack up and hit the road! So much to see and do here! It's a BEAUTIFUL day!
3d8a9143.jpg

Where's all the traffic??
387266c7.jpg

Bison!
4dd66b4d.jpg

One of my most vivid memories from my childhood visit to Yellowstone was the Mud Volcano and Dragon's Cave. I was betting my son would enjoy this area.

The Dragon's Cave (Dragon Mouth Spring) is simply amazing- a deep rumbling accompanied by gusts of sulfur laden steam and churning lashing water really do make it seem alive-
1bcfa050.jpg

1c63b633.jpg

Kristhawee was quite convinced that there was a dragon living in that cave
naughty.gif

8f1aab26.jpg

Father and son at the Dragon's Mouth Spring, Yellowstone National Park
cb9a4444.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
The bubbling and stinky Mud Cauldron-
f567201e.jpg

The camera doesn't do a good job with the colors and can not capture the sounds and smells.
8da7203b.jpg

Pretty stinky isn't it?
d3871116.jpg

The Grizzly Fumarole-
8a0726ae.jpg

What's the difference between a Mudpot and a Fumarole?
d127d0cb.jpg

Kristhawee's injured toe doesn't seem to be giving him too much trouble-
972c13e2.jpg

The Sour Lake-
d6099368.jpg

eae7cfbc.jpg

We watched this Bison cross the boardwalk like it wasn't even there-
3474874d.jpg

The Churning Cauldron- impressive!
90f1b866.jpg

Roiling, not boiling
deal.gif

1e342e3a.jpg

The Black Dragon's Caldron- Kristhawee says he can see the Dragon!
2150813f.jpg

Don't worry Kristhawee, these Dragons don't eat people... much
naughty.gif

f8d745ef.jpg

f8f56259.jpg

The Sizzling Basin-
cd89ed89.jpg

This is what's left of the Mud Geyser- apparently when it was discovered by the Washburn Expedition in 1870 it had a cone, could be heard from miles away and threw mud far into the air.
2a844f48.jpg

389245cb.jpg

e92fad9a.jpg

Cooking Hillside, aka Shake and Bake
lol8.gif

12c3f2f9.jpg

8dfb622c.jpg

The Mud Caldron-
277aa91a.jpg

That completes the Mud Volcano loop, but Kristhawee was so impressed by the Dragon's Cave that he wanted to go see it again
icon10.gif
I gave him the camera and he snapped these pics-
e0d09cca.jpg

7c0271da.jpg

38658ddc.jpg

(photos by Kristhawee)

We met a nice guy with a kid on the back of his Honda ST1100 in the parking lot. Never seen an ST with a trailer before
eekers.gif
The boy was 11, small for his size, and was the rider's nephew. It was somehow reassuring to not be the only biker with a kid on the back.

Kristhawee really enjoyed the Mud Volcano and is ready to see more of Yellowstone's marvels!
9ef71059.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
We rode north on the Grand Loop Road-
666c813b.jpg

Following the Yellowstone River-
1872c244.jpg

More Bison-
8e3f355e.jpg

f62c8d08.jpg

Up and over the 8859 foot (2700m) Dunraven Pass-
fdcb5cea.jpg

Past Mount Washburn which at 10243 feet still had a lot of snow. Camera's on my left hand, Mount Washburn is on the right, so no pics... Here's the view to the north-west-
a26cd895.jpg

de114604.jpg

43a8f82b.jpg

4403967b.jpg

4b956243.jpg

e9b903c3.jpg

Headed down, towards the Lamar River Valley-
43384108.jpg

We reached the Tower Fall campground around 11am and snagged the next-to-last site!!! SCORE!
clap.gif

8976b781.jpg

TowerFallsMap.gif

Tower Fall campground, site #9!
towerfallcgmap.jpg

Now THIS is what National Park camping is supposed to be! Small campground, size restriction on RV's, no hook ups, no generators allowed, and only $12
icon10.gif

85fb70ff.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Can't tell you how happy I am to have scored such a great site in the Tower Fall campground
clap.gif

57daaf47.jpg

I'm also very happy and relieved that so far Kristhawee's injured toe seems to be on the mend and isn't giving him much pain. I ask him if he's feeling up for a hike to the Tower Waterfall? He's up for it! Let's go!
99e9b559.jpg

He's diggin these monster dandelion-like flowers and gets to make a lot of wishes
naughty.gif

2de519f7.jpg

At first he wishes for such sweet things, like "I wish I can stay with my daddy forever"
Rabia.gif

7f40e1a8.jpg

But as the flowers keep presenting themselves his wishes turn a bit more mundane, like "I wish I could drive a subway" and "I wish I could fly a plane"
naughty.gif

99e880c2.jpg

I tell him that he can do anything if he's willing to work for it and tries hard enough- a wish will get you half way there, the rest is up to you!

Tower Fall, elevation 6650 feet
ffa6f876.jpg

Tower Falls- spectacular!
7bcc9708.jpg

Kristhawee at the Tower Falls overlook-
9fb430c3.jpg

There's a trail that goes down to the base of the falls- I'm not sure if Kristhawee can do it with his injured toe... He wants to try
mwink.gif

274e1759.jpg

It's a pretty steep trail- going down isn't too tough but I point out to my son that we'll have to go back up the way we've come. He doesn't seem too concerned
naughty.gif

f8ccae07.jpg

Yeah! We made it- and it really is a beautiful spot- I'm glad we hiked down here-
a415775f.jpg

Somebody wants to get their feet wet- off come the boots.
5e043687.jpg

I tell him to be careful as the rapids are FAST and this is NOT a safe place to swim and I CRINGE as I watch some parents let their small children out into the rapids. If they fall down they can easily be swept away and drown. Finally I decide I have to say something, walk over, and tell them as nicely as I can that they are ****ing idiots
yelrotflmao.gif

64d19e2c.jpg

Kristhawee knows better than to go out into the water here-
2cbae8e4.jpg

Ah, life is good!
01d8dc98.jpg

I think his toe was hurting a bit... Hey, wait a sec, that's his GOOD foot! ;)
9ff05c60.jpg

Even if his toe was hurting, it wasn't enough to wipe the smile off his face
icon10.gif

95dc231a.jpg

This cute little bird was making a racket (protecting a nest maybe?) and seemed totally unafraid of us-
8a3e4bc8.jpg

Time to head back up!
c4aafdf6.jpg

Ha ha ha! I told you going up is harder than going down!!
ea497d20.jpg

He was really milking it, trying to get a ride on daddy's back, but I wasn't gonna fall for it. I promised him an ice cream at the top and that seemed to give him renewed energy
yelrotflmao.gif

Another view of Tower Falls in the late afternoon light-
3872638b.jpg

There's a great little deli and ice cream shop at the Tower Fall General Store. We got some ice cream, I bought a fishing license and some food for dinner. I also bought a bear bell for Kristhawee. Let's get back to our campsite, grab the pole and see if we can catch some fish!

Walking back to the Tower Fall campground-
472aaa38.jpg

Our site (#9) overlooks the Tower River-
27f3b77a.jpg

The river is down in the canyon behind our site- you can't quite see it in this pic, but it's there-
2f32094a.jpg

I'd taken Kristhawee fishing in stocked ponds in Thailand where you catch a huge fish on almost every cast, and he had a blast. I warned him that catching river trout is a whole lot harder!
344f853c.jpg

Cold and swift Tower River-
6bfb2d6b.jpg

Kristhawee fishing in the Tower River, Yellowstone National Park
clap.gif

be495fff.jpg

I must confess I know next to nothing about trout fishing. We didn't have any flies and live bait isn't allowed in Yellowstone...
e90bca72.jpg

Didn't much matter, Kristhawee was enjoying himself
icon10.gif

c6329401.jpg

What a nice spot!
ad865229.jpg

5310e6d8.jpg

There is a LOT of wildlife in this area, including Grizzly bears. Some hikers passed by and told us they had seen a small Grizzly bear about 5 minutes up the trail. Yikes- with the noise of the river I'd never hear one sneaking up on us so I kept my eyes wide open. I know that the chances of being attacked by a bear are very slim, but still, one does have to be aware of what's going on around you!

The sun is falling and will soon leave this canyon in shade-
0368c454.jpg

With the light fading I think we should head back to camp and get started on dinner. Don't worry Kristhawee, you can try fishing again tomorrow!
bbd69512.jpg

We scramble around on some of the downed trees, spot a large rodent that disappears before I can get a good look (beaver or marmot?), and head back up to our campsite.
8e74ec4b.jpg

8b05603f.jpg

52b97f46.jpg

The sun is just setting as I get to work on dinner-
f6fc0446.jpg

There were a bunch of boys in the site next to us- Kristhawee went to play with them while I cooked dinner and started a fire.
7390a3da.jpg

Dinner is served! Ok, yeah, I know I'm a lousy cook, but at least it's healthy(ish)! Look at his face!
lol8.gif

66abb932.jpg

Ok, sorry about that lousy dinner Kristhawee, but I know we can make up for it with some smores! Kristhawee is still working on cooking the perfect marshmellow...
naughty.gif

23a66a55.jpg

Apparently he needs a bit more practice
lol8.gif

f9a33be2.jpg

Yum!!
fad844ab.jpg

Kristhawee is worried about bears so I tell him he can sleep in the bear box
yelrotflmao.gif

7b673b09.jpg

Good night!!!

Dec 27, 2007
Good morning from Tower Falls, Yellowstone National Park!
clap.gif

c653c248.jpg

Somebody doesn't want to wake up...
naughty.gif

6f160bf4.jpg

The morning sun is bright!
13f89f65.jpg

Kristhawee still wanted to fish and I'd spoken with some folks in our campground the day before who recommended Trout Lake as a good spot.

We rode north on the Grand Loop Road in the direction of Roosevelt- just past the Tower Fall General Store is a very unusual volcanic rock formation that hangs over the road-

(Pardon the rattling, didn't realize my son's fishing pole was vibrating against the camera housing.)

At the Roosevelt junction we turn right (east) on the 212 through the Lamar Valley. Another beautiful day and the scenery riding through the valley was spectacular-
cdcabc28.jpg

a9fdb9b4.jpg

3833a2c5.jpg

Lots of animals, mostly Bison, but also some deer or maybe Pronghorn- they were all quite a distance away so can't really see them in the pictures.

At the beginning of this video I point out some deer to Kristhawee-

6f420d86.jpg

Very little traffic- it seems that most of the traffic in Yellowstone is on the Grand Loop Road.
a6adedfa.jpg

The parking area for the Trout Lake trailhead was nearly full and cars were having to park a ways up the road. Nice think about a bike- you can squeeze it in just about anywhere
naughty.gif

71155e99.jpg

Trout Lake Trailhead-
6fffdf9c.jpg

Let's go for a hike!
cda239aa.jpg

It's a bit of a steep climb up to Trout Lake. Kristhawee taking a break-
053606aa.jpg

It's only about a mile to the lake-
fbadc715.jpg

Woohoo! We made it! Welcome to Trout Lake, Yellowstone National Park!
cf305f9c.jpg

We hiked around the lake looking for a good spot to fish-
37ebe997.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
be72473b.jpg

We hiked half way around Trout Lake and met up with a family with two kids who were headed up to Buck Lake. Kristhawee hit it off with their son so we followed them-

962b5fee.jpg

Kristhawee and his new friend-
94e5afef.jpg

On the trail to Buck Lake-
d14425f4.jpg

I guess perhaps we weren't on the "real" trail because we ended up having to bush whack it across a stream-
73e24154.jpg

Beautiful day for a hike!
25e082ec.jpg

Never have to worry about my son getting dehydrated thanks to the Sprig backpack that we picked up from REI
0ddc3823.jpg

Lovin it!
e43e5d93.jpg

So many flowers in bloom, the bees were buzzing and lots of butterflies too!
a7f0fc62.jpg

There were so many bees in fact that Kristhawee started to get a bit nervous. I told him to just walk slowly and not make any sudden moves or swat at them and that if he left them alone, they'd leave him alone.
Norton.gif

4f5a8969.jpg

We found the perfect spot under the shade of a big old tree for a picnic next to Buck Lake-
39281990.jpg

There were dozens of little inch worms hanging from this tree on long silk threads- the wind would blow and they'd fly away. Kristhawee was fascinated.

Picnic next to Buck Lake, Yellowstone National Park-
ac8ed89c.jpg

The other family had been down by the lake and seems they couldn't find a decent place to fish or maybe they were just getting hot standing around in the sun- they soon joined us.
f2ce1e1f.jpg

Eventually we headed back to Trout Lake, this time on the correct trail. Kristhawee slid down a steep slippery section on his butt
lol8.gif

2d47d9f4.jpg

Returning to Trout Lake-
36a0a146.jpg

af667e99.jpg

We continued on around the lake-
c73f8397.jpg

196ea372.jpg

We could actually SEE the trout!
6211e986.jpg

Catching them was a different matter though...
mwink.gif

881dd3d5.jpg

01fc69b6.jpg

If it's any consolation, the other family didn't have any luck either, and their dad seemed like he knew what he was doing. I haven't a clue how to catch a trout
lol8.gif

f2100fc9.jpg

I swear I could hear those trout snickering as they swam right up to us and mocked our efforts
yelrotflmao.gif

ecb65e6b.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Well, if you can't catch 'em join 'em!
naughty.gif

We ended up jumping in the lake but didn't stay in long- it was FREEZING!
eekers.gif

Fortunately it was a warm day and very little wind so we warmed up quickly in the sun.

It was getting late in the afternoon and pretty much everyone had left and we had the lake all to ourselves.

My little guy didn't want to change so I busted out the camera and told him he'd better hurry or I'd taunt him with some embarrassing pictures when he's a teenager
naughty.gif

1f2c92a1.jpg

Ha, nice try, but I still see you!!
781f0c6b.jpg

We ended up spending the entire day at Trout Lake- such an idyllic spot.
f5dc968b.jpg

I was very happy and relieved to see that his injured toe was healing nicely and didn't seem to bother him much anymore.
5a5ff1ad.jpg

He ended up hiking all the way back to our bike (almost a mile) in flip flops.
7be192e1.jpg

403e7867.jpg

bad255de.jpg

Bye bye Trout Lake!
d7de3633.jpg

Bit of "traffic" on the way back to the Tower Fall campground ;)
52e16c64.jpg

A big herd of Bison were hanging out on the road and we had to wait until they moved on-
d14e0c6b.jpg

They had just painted the lines on the road earlier in the day and I swear the young Bison were huffing the paint
lol8.gif

108d66c0.jpg

Finally there was a gap that I deemed large enough for us to sneak through and we were on our way, snapping pics of more Bison as we passed them-
2d69e21e.jpg

c0ccc6d0.jpg

Lots and lots of Bison in the Lamar Valley!
ed5af24e.jpg

Nice ride back to Tower Falls, very little traffic-
ffd59593.jpg

490da818.jpg

The Tower Falls overlook in the late evening sun-
eb97e399.jpg

ac206d5b.jpg

We hit the General Store to pick up some necessities-
bbfa37a1.jpg

"Moose Drool" brown ale!
friday.gif

Dinty Moore Beef Stew for dinner
naughty.gif

c235ba41.jpg

Can dad cook or what?!
lol8.gif

75e49c2d.jpg

Smores for dessert!
clap.gif

324f1930.jpg

As we're chilling a couple of big buck deer come strolling right by our campsite-
3132b485.jpg

339ac553.jpg

A warm fire and a few pages out of Kipling's Jungle Book and Kristhawee is sound asleep.
8de14d6a.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Good morning from Tower Falls Camp, Yellowstone National Park!
d925bc55.jpg

We hit the general store yesterday evening so we have fresh food for breakfast
naughty.gif

1ae22399.jpg

Kristhawee is a good helper, but still needs a bit of practice cracking eggs
yelrotflmao.gif
No worries, we had plenty of eggs, so one or two that ended up on the ground wont be misses and I fished out the pieces of egg shell before cooking.
naughty.gif

Here he is grating the cheddar for our cheesy eggs
icon10.gif

1539d962.jpg

Today's destination- Red Lodge, Montana via the Beartooth All American Road!
afcec62e.jpg

We again ride north on the Grand Loop Road, then east on the 212, and again, the weather is perfect, traffic is light, and the views are amazing!

I'm still fascinated by these unusual formations near the Tower Fall overlook-
79e7adb7.jpg

449ad69e.jpg

67965756.jpg

Lamar Valley-
1c8aad7a.jpg

16c6a9b2.jpg

The Bison look tiny from this distance-
5d70f986.jpg

Approaching the northeast exit of Yellowstone National Park-
18856f13.jpg

543b350f.jpg

Bye bye Yellowstone!
fc48cff6.jpg

We've left Yellowstone and are now entering Gallatin National Forest-
dc2a0bdc.jpg

Approaching Silver Gate, Montana-
7dccc3e8.jpg

Beartooth Highway Scenic Byway!
clap.gif

67d67581.jpg

Of all the fantastic roads we discovered this summer, the Beartooth All American Highway was my favorite!
92d1667e.jpg

It would be easy to get done for speeding on this road- fortunately we didn't see any troopers
naughty.gif

dffc59f2.jpg

The awe-inspiring panoramas just keep coming.
4b200b8e.jpg

We climb up and up!
867a03ca.jpg

This photo is looking back towards Wyoming- I believe that's Pilot Peak (11,522 ft) on the left and Index Peak (10,700 ft) next to it on the right.
1ecfe04e.jpg

Good spot for a break and a snack-
a86d4d4a.jpg

Surrounding us are some 20 peaks over 12,000 feet in elevation-
cf5c89bf.jpg

The fuel injected Land Yacht doesn't seem to mind the altitude much-
4ba08c70.jpg

Lots of eagles and hawks riding the thermals-
01da5fbd.jpg

We haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet-
b2bf4f21.jpg

Onwards and upwards!
6de5383e.jpg

Top of the World!
341dedaf.jpg

Lakes and snow!
6ceb9b61.jpg

A reminder that even in the summer it sometimes snows up here!
986d7c08.jpg

Lots of snow up here- Kristhawee wants to play!
d48514ed.jpg

Wow, what a road! Looking back the way we've come-
0d761111.jpg

b922e1a0.jpg

61be6494.jpg

Oh oh, tractor traffic again
lol8.gif

eb6a3975.jpg

The Beartooth Pass is only open in the summer and is 10,947 ft (3,337 m) high!
d54097ab.jpg

We pass through pristine alpine landscapes, lush forests, and alpine tundra-
24cb527d.jpg

The highest parts of the Beartooth Highway level off into a wide plateau near the top of the pass. We stop at the Gardner Lake Trailhead to stretch our legs, take in the views, and go play in the snow!
9db13125.jpg

Kristhawee is getting really good at identifying and naming other motorcycles-
0ef4d2d2.jpg

Elevation 10,536 feet!
560e4c7f.jpg

Gardner Lake-
9d469c62.jpg

Because of the high altitude, snowstorms can occur even in the middle of the summer and the Beartooth Pass is also known for strong winds and severe thunderstorms. No problems with the weather today!
icon10.gif

4040de19.jpg

Father and son at Gardner Lake, Beartooth All American Road!
5c862ff4.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
The snow was farther than it looked, but no matter- nice to stretch the legs
naughty.gif

0bc869c2.jpg

Almost there-
e7547d33.jpg

Ouch- that's going to leave a mark! Watch your step little guy- those rocks are sharp!
6c849434.jpg

Uh oh, is that a snowball I see in your hand??
eekers.gif

a239f181.jpg

3b517e8e.jpg

Snowball fight!
583ec2e3.jpg

40d209b4.jpg

Playing in snow in July- how cool is that??
icon10.gif

d9df8a21.jpg

Snow!
921ca86e.jpg

da69ca1b.jpg

He's still chucking snowballs at me
lol8.gif

ef4f0cc1.jpg

Kristhawee found a butterfly (I'm surprised they can survive up here- I'm sure it freezes at night?)
260451c9.jpg

02cc72d1.jpg

ebeb3e0d.jpg

Ok, we should press on to Red Lodge as I have no idea where we're going to stay and I don't want to arrive too late. Walking back to our bike-
56d72c43.jpg

C'mon- almost there!
62483f12.jpg

Lots of wildflowers and small lakes-
978186d6.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
We ride across the plateau and begin descending towards Red Lodge, Montana.
ec89dd9e.jpg

Stark and beautiful above tree line-
edfe2ae0.jpg

People ski here in the spring-
6a7b2be0.jpg

The public Beartooth Pass, “bare bones,” ski area rests on 600 acres about 10,800 feet above Twin Lakes Headwall near Red Lodge, Montana, and is one of North America’s oldest ski training areas, operated by International Ski and Snowboard Camp.
Beartooth Pass is usually open for skiing from late May into early July and is served by two high speed poma lifts providing access to 3,000 feet of terrain.
0cea4274.jpg

The Beartooth Highway crosses back and forth between Wyoming and Montana several times. From here it's Montana all the way-
6029c589.jpg

4f3914ff.jpg

A sobering reminder of how dangerous this road can be-
9d3cc569.jpg

The descent towards Red Lodge is steep and exciting; lots of hairpins and switchbacks and one has to watch for variable road conditions along with rocks, gravel, sand and water-
020058a3.jpg

Have to say that the K1200LT, despite her size and weight, handles pretty much anything you throw at her with grace and poise. :happy3:

2d64a67f.jpg

2a198db6.jpg

It's a long ways down!
91af5a1a.jpg

More switchbacks below-
7958add1.jpg

Looking north up the valley towards the Beartooth Pass-
595ac050.jpg

Arriving at Red Lodge, Montana- seems like a biker-friendly town!
yelrotflmao.gif

20942f4e.jpg

May 30, 2012
Oh how I miss snow!

This trip report is as much educational as it is entertaining for me. Having only traveled to Florida and New York I had no idea just how beautiful the US is.

Thanks again for sharing TonyBKK, Hats off to you :)

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Incredible photos/journal, you have knocked it out of the park with this report. I just rode through Yellowstone and the Beartooth Hwy in late May and you have made me want to go again before winter. It was FREEZING over the 11,000 foot pass and the road had only been opened the day before when I rode over. There were no other bikes in sight and for good reason, still lots of snow/ice and roads slick as snot. Not recommended! Did you see these wildlife statues in Red Lodge?

Yellowstone2043.jpg

Yellowstone2059.jpg

Yellowstone2065.jpg

Yellowstone2067.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Thank you all for your kind comments!

The US, despite all her faults and problems, abounds in natural beauty and I have to say, we met the NICEST people on this trip.

Didn't spot those wildlife statues, but there was no shortage of things to see and do in Red Lodge, coming up next! :)

Dec 27, 2007
I had no idea that we were rolling in to Red Lodge the day before the Beartooth Rally and Iron Horse Rodeo was to kick off.
partytime2.gif

6edc4438.jpg

Bone Daddy's Custom Cycle seemed to be ground zero for the event-
logo.jpg

Really cool shop- they work on all makes and had some beautiful old Triumphs and Harley's in the shop. Kristhawee seemed more interested in the bear on the wall though
lol8.gif

fe8de345.jpg

Some nice custom choppers out front-
21f9750b.jpg

3d68d4d1.jpg

Some damn funny patches for sale at one booth-
e0458f66.jpg

While it's primarily a Harley event, there were a fair number of other brands in town and everyone was really friendly.

When people saw our Minnesota plate they'd come over to congratulate us on coming this far and tell Kristhawee how cool he was for riding all the way from Minnesota on the back of dad's bike. He was glowing from all the praise
icon10.gif

It was quite hot and I guessed that most campgrounds would be full of noisy bikers so in the interest of a good nights sleep I splurged for a room at the Yodeler Motel-
797b3cdd.jpg

Corporate Free and Groovy since 1965!

We wandered down the main street, checking out all the booths that were being set up for the rally and stopped in to the Montana Candy Emporium, an antique candy shop-
c6e7dcbc.jpg

Even the candy store was in biker mode with their Road Rash and Road Rage candies
lol8.gif

9ebf45a6.jpg

Grabbed some food and snacks at the grocery store then wandered over to the city park-
3514de67.jpg

Fresh blueberries!
b48d52f5.jpg

Red Lodge Brewing Company Bent Nail IPA for dad
burp.gif

5c5ded03.jpg

I taught Kristhawee all about resonance in closed-end air columns, aka how to make music with a bottle ;)
4f45fb87.jpg

Took a bit of practice but eventually he got it!
ef1c1dad.jpg

Nice little park- we had it all to ourselves.
d93d021e.jpg

Playing on the See Saw-
6e7ab910.jpg

I'm such a light weight these days... After a few beers it took me a while to figure out how to open this animal proof garbage can
burp.gif

9ed705e6.jpg

Playing on some of the rental equipment at the hardware store. Kristhawee was worried he'd get in trouble- I told him not to worry about it-
671fcf97.jpg

It was getting late and time for us to wander back to our hotel. In the winter Red Lodge is a ski town-
0b1c2d06.jpg

24971512.jpg

There were no showers at Tower Falls in Yellowstone so we were pretty stinky and a hot shower felt great. Kristhawee relaxed in the tub for a while but was a bit freaked by the steam bath. Not me- I thought it was nice and relaxing. It had been another long full day, we were beat and went to bed pretty early- NICE beds at the Yodeler!
5e45043b.jpg

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Looks like you hit Red Lodge at the right time. It was totally dead when I rolled through there. Just fueled up and pressed on to Missoula for the night.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
TonyBKK;282542 wrote: The US, despite all her faults and problems, abounds in natural beauty and I have to say, we met the NICEST people on this trip.
Funny that the global headlines make it sound like the place is a total wreck and its all over. But the more time I spend outside the US, the more I see it just ain't so and appreciate how great it really is to live here when I get home. Not perfect, but still damn nice.

Dec 27, 2007
Good morning from Yodeler Motel in Red Lodge, Montana!

Breakfast of champions!
lol8.gif
(Don't worry, Kristhawee had a proper breakfast)
9c78edae.jpg

The Beartooth Pass was so much fun that Kristhawee and I decided to do it again, in reverse! But, as we headed out of Red Lodge the skies were overcast and was threatening to rain...
0d8d0351.jpg

I knew that rain in the valley probably meant snow or hail in the higher elevations and really didn't want to risk getting caught out in the open above tree line with no shelter...
b6ddaa66.jpg

It started to mist and the bikers we saw going the other direction towards Red Lodge were all wearing rain gear... I talked it over with Kristhawee and we agreed we should stop until the weather improved. Fortunately there are a bunch of US Forest Service campgrounds at the base of the mountains.

We pulled into one (forget the name) and found a nice spot-
632159d8.jpg

It was a bit chilly and raining lightly, quite a contrast from the heat and sun the day before. I asked Kristhawee if he wanted me to make him a do-rag to keep his head dry. He didn't know what I was talking about, so I showed him-
db29b5bd.jpg

He thought it was pretty cool that dad could make a hat out of a rag
lol8.gif

c902eb7d.jpg

So, I go and register for the site and of course five minutes after I drop the check in the slot the skies clear and the sun decides to come out! Ah well, I'll just consider that $15 as a donation to the US Forest Service
mwink.gif

Off we go and what a change in the weather!
7b8112a6.jpg

Going up this way I got a better sense for just how steep this road is in some sections-
4012a249.jpg

(ok, I might not be holding the camera very level, but still, it IS a very steep road!)

Above tree line again and the weather is just as perfect as it was the day before, but there were some wet spots here and there so it had definitely rained. Waiting at the bottom the way we did was a good idea- the road was pretty much dry by the time we rode up.
69726248.jpg

Lots of bikes headed the other direction for the rally in Red Lodge-
46db8785.jpg

Amazing views, but need to pay attention to the road too!
986d9aaa.jpg

Zoom zoom!
26e319fd.jpg

Motorcycle nirvana!
c3899d8a.jpg

Paved by angels!
clap.gif

5b7a39fd.jpg

And the switchbacks keep coming!
6817695e.jpg

067e4af9.jpg

At the bottom of this section of switchbacks was a beautiful snow-fed lake-
5faae93a.jpg

a0f95087.jpg

Very happy with the handling of the K1200LT Land Yacht
naughty.gif

7eaf4fa0.jpg

This bike is so easy to ride! Isn't it weird that a bike this big and heavy uses a 160 rear tire? That skinny rear tire keeps it pretty agile though, and all the weight translates into excellent traction. Dragged the pegs around some of the corners without really trying-
9b23de51.jpg

Kristhawee enjoyed the roller-coaster ride and is keen to go play in some snow again-
2993d3c5.jpg

No shortage of snow up here!
3c9b6d94.jpg

What a beautiful spot!
d83511bd.jpg

Uh oh, I think somebody wants to start another snow ball fight!
c4fcdd32.jpg

48eb9edf.jpg

b9fa1d1a.jpg

We're having a blast up here at 10000 feet!
a66dcc22.jpg

56ca3ea5.jpg

db844837.jpg

We hiked around a bit (Kristhawee brought ammo)
963c8d47.jpg

His arm and aim are getting stronger and more accurate-
baf9dc64.jpg

He took a picture of dad chillin on a warm rock in the bright sun-
25bc13b4.jpg

(photo by Kristhawee)

Hiked around some more-
61cc0d9d.jpg

We wanted to get to the deep snow on the far side of the lake and had to work our way across a bog and cross a little mountain stream-
f6f453bc.jpg

Made it!
88d38638.jpg

KRIS was here!
deal.gif

5cf0fdea.jpg

The view across the lake-
61b7434d.jpg

Snow in July- gotta love it! (I used to be a ski bum but have been living in Thailand for some time now and really miss the snow so this is pretty special for me)
2ffe71a6.jpg

We continued hiking around the lake-
71b40439.jpg

Then stopped to make some itty bitty snowmen
yelrotflmao.gif

9686966e.jpg

Kristhawee decided that this one was him-
1dbc4bc2.jpg

And you can probably guess which one is dad
lol8.gif

939dee79.jpg

Father and son snowmen somewhere on the Wyoming-Montana border in the Beartooth Mountains!
6cbfeccb.jpg

Ooops, Kristhawee-snowman's arm fell off
lol8.gif

6f220f0d.jpg

Kristhawee didn't want to leave the snowmen behind and he didn't want to leave this spot. I understood how he felt- It was one of those perfect places and perfect moments that you wish you could last forever.
2b5e08b1.jpg

On the road again-
d1920ec7.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
We've crossed the Beartooth Pass and are headed back to Yellowstone. Lots of bikes on the 212 today, all headed towards Red Lodge for the Beartooth Rally.
5b5f7177.jpg

Lots of alpine lakes up here- beautiful!
da434b05.jpg

f49e0348.jpg

accb36b4.jpg

More bikes headed towards Red Lodge-
f9320e4c.jpg

Almost no traffic in our direction-
0df46316.jpg

Top of the World!
2b43bd50.jpg

Fresh blacktop near Beartooth Lake- yum!
0808e84f.jpg

Bear country!
402a80ce.jpg

Beartooth Lake-
46311c0e.jpg

The road gets narrow and twisty near the Beartooth Falls-
74a4f726.jpg

Beartooth Falls (drive-by pic, it's actually quite an impressive waterfall, but I wasn't in the mood to stop)-
d5437f63.jpg

The curves keep coming
naughty.gif

7b76c179.jpg

0575982d.jpg

Passing a lone biker- I wonder what I look like to oncoming bikes with my arm stretched out and a camera in my hand?
5337468e.jpg

Zoomin!
53892b49.jpg

8b4ffe0e.jpg

1b113186.jpg

Index Peak off in the distance-
2cbb1b5e.jpg

Again I'm thankful that I ended up with the autobahn worthy BMW Land Yacht instead of a Goldwing
mwink.gif

5039506c.jpg

Another fantastic view of Index Peak-
92a5b295.jpg

We roll in to Cooke City right about lunch time-
683efe56.jpg

Cool little town FULL of bikes!
5305b2cd.jpg

We wandered around a bit, taking in the sights and trying to decide where to eat.
0edce36b.jpg

Some pretty impressive bikes, though I'd be a bit nervous taking something like this over the Beartooth Pass-
bff730eb.jpg

Kristhawee is diggin all these cool bikes!
f49c2ff4.jpg

We decided to eat at the Soda Butte Lodge. They keep a tub out front for dirty customers
lol8.gif

f2079e59.jpg

(photo by Kristhawee)

Lunch is served!
naughty.gif

800a843f.jpg

Fantastic lunch!

Chatted with a bunch of old timers headed to Red Lodge and they were mighty impressed by the Land Yacht's hydraulic center stand and adjustable wind screen. As we were getting ready to leave I asked one of them to snap a picture of us.

Father and son in Cooke City, Montana-
2fb51793.jpg

Attachments

• 5b5f7177.jpg
    5b5f7177.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 108
  • da434b05.jpg
    da434b05.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 103
  • f49e0348.jpg
    f49e0348.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 103
  • accb36b4.jpg
    accb36b4.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 95
  • f9320e4c.jpg
    f9320e4c.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 2b43bd50.jpg
    2b43bd50.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 0df46316.jpg
    0df46316.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 0808e84f.jpg
    0808e84f.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 402a80ce.jpg
    402a80ce.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 46311c0e.jpg
    46311c0e.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 74a4f726.jpg
    74a4f726.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 106
  • d5437f63.jpg
    d5437f63.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 53892b49.jpg
    53892b49.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 5337468e.jpg
    5337468e.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 0575982d.jpg
    0575982d.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 7b76c179.jpg
    7b76c179.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 8b4ffe0e.jpg
    8b4ffe0e.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 1b113186.jpg
    1b113186.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 2cbb1b5e.jpg
    2cbb1b5e.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 92a5b295.jpg
    92a5b295.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 5039506c.jpg
    5039506c.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 683efe56.jpg
    683efe56.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 5305b2cd.jpg
    5305b2cd.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 0edce36b.jpg
    0edce36b.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 99
  • f49c2ff4.jpg
    f49c2ff4.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 118
  • bff730eb.jpg
    bff730eb.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 93
  • f2079e59.jpg
    f2079e59.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 800a843f.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 102
Dec 27, 2007
Welcome back to Yellowstone National Park!
878f8316.jpg

We're headed to Gardiner, MT via Mammoth Hot Springs- great ride!
ddcf0834.jpg

9d76f47f.jpg

Plenty of Bison in the Lamar Valley-
29025647.jpg

Just past the Roosevelt junction we stopped to have a look at the famous Petrified Tree-
dc696b7e.jpg

Amazing- this is a fossilized ancient Redwood that has miraculously remained standing for some 50 million years!
853afc2f.jpg

Our first glimpse of Mammoth Hot Springs, off in the distance-
e1cd2f11.jpg

The 45th Parallel of Latitude- Halfway between the Equator and the North Pole
23e787aa.jpg

We'll visit the Mammoth Hot Springs tomorrow- tonight we're going to camp just outside the park as I reckon there's no way we'll find a spot in the park on a Friday.
2128079b.jpg

Passing under the Roosevelt Arch-
764a5f4e.jpg

From wikipedia- The Roosevelt Arch is a rusticated triumphal arch at the north entrance to Yellowstone National Park in Gardiner, Montana, USA. Its cornerstone was laid down by President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt in 1903. The top of the arch is inscribed with a quote from the Organic Act of 1872, the legislation which created Yellowstone, which reads "For the Benefit and Enjoyment of the People."

We got so lucky and scored the LAST site in the Eagle Creek Campground
clap.gif

d2e331dc.jpg

Met some really nice people there. Big thanks to the nice guys from Colorado and their dog Louis the most hyper Beagle I've ever seen who gave us water (it's a dry site). And the really nice grad student mom who was camping with her two kids and their black lab puppy Bear for inviting us to share their camp fire.

We got one of the nicest spots in the whole campground- right up at the top where the road ends.
2ea6f2c0.jpg

From our campsite we had an amazing view of Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs-
32d917ed.jpg

Quite a beautiful sunset this evening-
a6c13ce8.jpg

A small trail led away from our site and into the trees- let's check it out!
712d3d67.jpg

Kristhawee said he needed help to cross the mighty Eagle Creek
lol8.gif

613c9296.jpg

We hopped across Eagle Creek and hiked a little ways up hill from the campground to enjoy the sunset-
6bdcd7ef.jpg

We enjoyed a nice evening with the mother and kids who were camping next to us and shared smores by their fire before calling it a night.
kumbaya.gif

Nov 2, 2008
Fantastic trip report Tony, and Kristhawee, my son and I have been enjoying following along! He doesn't normally read trip reports, but a great father/son adventure is worth following.

Country side, in a bunch of your recent pics, looks darn similar to our current location on the Alaskan Highway. We bailed from Thailand just over a month ago as international school costs, as a single parent, were getting to be too much of a stretch. My son did acquire his motorcycle learners licence this past monday, :thumbup: but we will be waiting till early spring to buys a couple of bikes (SWEET)

Best Regards,
Kevin

Dec 27, 2007
Fishenough;282596 wrote: Fantastic trip report Tony, and Kristhawee, my son and I have been enjoying following along! He doesn't normally read trip reports, but a great father/son adventure is worth following.

Country side, in a bunch of your recent pics, looks darn similar to our current location on the Alaskan Highway. We bailed from Thailand just over a month ago as international school costs, as a single parent, were getting to be too much of a stretch. My son did acquire his motorcycle learners licence this past monday, :thumbup: but we will be waiting till early spring to buys a couple of bikes (SWEET)

Best Regards,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin! Wow are you guys are riding the Alaskan Highway in September? How's it going? That's something I very much want to do with my son when he's a bit older. Congratulations to your son on his license! :happy1:

Dec 27, 2007
We woke up at a decent hour on Saturday, packed up and hit the road. It's a couple miles of washboard from Eagle Creek down to Gardiner-
3d08efff.jpg

Another beautiful day! Looking south across the Yellowstone River into Yellowstone National Park-
7f3dbc9e.jpg

9033a454.jpg

Gardiner, Montana, with Wyoming in the background-
16acfa8a.jpg

653ec561.jpg

We're back in Yellowstone National Park-
bffbfaf5.jpg

dadbdcef.jpg

Mammoth Hot Springs!
ecc2a9bb.jpg

Mammoth Hot Springs Yellowstone General Store-
44d1ba79.jpg

Mammoth Hotsprings covers a large area and has a big variety of features!
190021a3.jpg

We began our hike from the boardwalk that begins near the Liberty Cap-
8f8ceb46.jpg

Kristhawee at Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone National Park-
4b4b8718.jpg

Palette Spring-
c0a7a158.jpg

The Devil's Thumb!
d824685e.jpg

002d85c3.jpg

Mammoth Hot Spring Terraces-
dc91d86c.jpg

Heat loving micro-organisms called Thermophiles create many of the colors-
bdcec295.jpg

857774c9.jpg

The Minerva Terrace- Wow!
1e2a5b73.jpg

Looking back the way we came-
1be5ffe9.jpg

More colors and terraces-
46dacde9.jpg

91ebda22.jpg

Mound Spring-
64099a1e.jpg

Father and son at Mound Spring, Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone National Park
928b7913.jpg

Mound Spring from a distance-
0abc9fe0.jpg

In the midst of all this heat and sulfur flowers and butterflies still survive-
6f6cb145.jpg

1c975392.jpg

Palette Spring-
2d166721.jpg

This boardwalk just keeps going and going! It's a couple miles to the Upper Terrace Loop, but it was getting hot and we weren't in the mood to walk that far.
ee690fbf.jpg

6335aa0a.jpg

Kristhawee spotted some wild snap dragons- one of his favorite flowers
icon10.gif

eb074476.jpg

Back to the bike and ready to continue exploring Yellowstone National Park-
d1bcb919.jpg

Nov 7, 2007
Jesus what an epic report, and what an epic trip!!! Thanks for sharing it here.

The smile on your son's face says it all - priceless.

Dec 27, 2007
nikster;282623 wrote: Jesus what an epic report, and what an epic trip!!! Thanks for sharing it here.

The smile on your son's face says it all - priceless.
Cheers Nikster!

It's only July 21st and we're only about a third of the way there!

Still have 5 States, 4000+ miles and 5 weeks to go! :happy1: