Fork brace

Nov 18, 2008
A very popular motorcycle performance accessory in the 'States for the past 25 years or so has been the lower fork brace which stabilizes the forks in extreme stress situations and prevents a terminal wobble of the front wheel. You can see several examples if you Google "fork brace" (without the quotes). Here is one you can go directly to: http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/Fork_Braces.htm I'd like to know if something like this is available in Chiang Mai or if someone knows of a shop that can fabricate one for me. The price for one in the 'States is around the equivalent of 5,000 baht. I suspect someone could fabricate one here for far less. Anyone out there that can save me some time in tracking one down? Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Michael

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
What are you riding? Fork braces for the Honda Super Four are readily available in Chiang Mai.

Nov 18, 2008
Hi Wimpy,
Thanks for your response. What I'm trying to do is add some extra stability to the relatively small front end of my 175 Platinum dirt bike. I'll most likely have to get a fork brace fabricated for this application but finding one for any bike in Chiang Mai to use as a model would get me closer to that objective. To briefly go into "smart-ass" mode, the last time I checked, Chiang Mai is a petty big place. Could you be more specific as to where, exactly, a "readily available" fork brace could be found? Your help would be greatly appreciated. :)

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
I have seen them for sale at Burning Shop. They have a new location on Tung Hotel road near the railway station. He has rather unpredictable hours. I think I have seen them at Piston Shop as well. As I recall, they are about 1500 baht.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
roaddhist wrote: Hi Wimpy,
Thanks for your response. What I'm trying to do is add some extra stability to the relatively small front end of my 175 Platinum dirt bike. I'll most likely have to get a fork brace fabricated for this application but finding one for any bike in Chiang Mai to use as a model would get me closer to that objective. To briefly go into "smart-ass" mode, the last time I checked, Chiang Mai is a petty big place. Could you be more specific as to where, exactly, a "readily available" fork brace could be found? Your help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Roaddhist
Try this list of shops
Chiang Mai: Handy Mc Related Shops
under
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... -t633.html

Nov 18, 2008
Thanks Wimpy and David. I'll start with Burning and Piston Shop as recommended, Wimpy, on the next trip to CM. I've been to a few of the shops on your list, David, but not with this fork brace objective, so it looks like a few days of revisiting the ones I've been to and tracking down others-a good project to do in Chiang Mai during the cool part of the year. Thanks again, guys. Michael

bradmeister

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 7, 2017
Bangkok
www.bdsperformance.co.th
FORK BRACES: Yes, we need them!

We have so many customers ask us about "Fork Braces" and/or "Fork Sttabilizers".

If you have RSD forks, or Right Side Down, old style forks and especially Honda Makes..... Yes, you need to have them. There is a Company here in Thailand ( The Beefiest ones we have seen yet) called : GTR! So, I'm not sure if David is secretly making these wonders, but they are tremendous help if you feel any wobble or instability or front end wash out in the turns.

GTR.JPG

A quick history for our "younger audiance and riders", way back in 1981 Honda releases the GL1100 Goldwing in full dress and a Naked version. Yes, thats a big ass opposing cyclinder motorcycle that weighted quite a lot.... It had springs and an "Air Fork valve" (funny how that came back into style recently, PLease) and the first thing people felt was a serious vibration/resonation called the preverbial "WOBBLE"!

Why? Because Honda began to make the Fork Walls too Thin, and are pretty much still doing this today.
GoldWing Owners went crazy and organized a class action suit as Honda kept telling the Riding American Public, nothing was wrong........it's suppose to Wobble! .

Long Story Short, Honda sent out (free of Charge) fork stabalizers to bolt on, and in the following years, The fork tube lowers were made to incorporate a beautiful Honda High Polished super beefy Stabalizer.
If anyone should doubt this commentary, Yes I have owned one, and many many Bikes since, and if you really have nothing better to do, Google it and be amazed!

Now here we are in 2019, we are still being sold crappy RSD forks from the 1970's technology, and yes, If you can fit a Fork Brace onto your lowers above the fender, get one. I promise you will feel the difference when you stress that frame in the next twisty!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

bradmeister

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 7, 2017
Bangkok
www.bdsperformance.co.th
Hoghead,

Source? Most guys find them online..... we don't source, buy or install these.
It's not really sold per Engine Size. It's sold by the outer diameter of the inner tube of your fornt forks.

Ergo, you will need to measure or look up the size of your inner tubes and cross reference another bike, or try another manufacturer.

NOT A GTR, but they make them for the 700cc bikes.

Cheers.

Feb 5, 2007
I understand fork braces quite well.......................
I was hoping that you knew where to buy them as online search yields nothing other than mid displacement local bikes.

bradmeister

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 7, 2017
Bangkok
www.bdsperformance.co.th
Sorry, Hoghead,

I don't ride RSD fork machines anymore.

As far as suppliers in Thailand, you may wish to call 320SP. Khun Yod is probably the largest supplier of retail accessories in BKK.

Panda shop may also be a source for you as well, also in BKK.

Good luck, happy hunting.