From Chiang Dao to Germany

rolf e

Apr 23, 2016
Aldingen
Hi all,

I'm planing about traveling to Germany on my Thai registrated bike (after all this Corona shit). The planed Route goes to China, Mongolia, Kirgisistan Kasachstan, Ukraine .....
Now I'm not clear about the thai-registered bike when I have to cross all that borders with my Thai paper?
Do I need a kind of international paper or a translation?
Would be nice if somebody could share hie experience?
Or do I think too much ?

I tried to find some information in web, but found nothing usable.

BR
Rolf

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
When I shipped my HD from Canada to Australia I used a Carnet Du Passage.

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Hi all,

I'm planing about traveling to Germany on my Thai registrated bike (after all this Corona shit). The planed Route goes to China, Mongolia, Kirgisistan Kasachstan, Ukraine .....
Now I'm not clear about the thai-registered bike when I have to cross all that borders with my Thai paper?
Do I need a kind of international paper or a translation?
Would be nice if somebody could share hie experience?
Or do I think too much ?

I tried to find some information in web, but found nothing usable.

BR
Rolf
Going through the countries and the route you mentiones I am quite sure you dont need a Carnet de Passage.
For some countries you need a Carnet - such as India, Iran and Pakistan and a few others - but not the route you mention. Registration documents translated to english should be fine.

Getting a Carnet for a thai plated bike is also a bit complicated as there arent any automobil organisations that can issue a Carnet although its been said there is such a possibility in Malaysia. But for your route you wont need it anyhow….

Reactions: Ian Bungy

rolf e

Apr 23, 2016
Aldingen
Going through the countries and the route you mentiones I am quite sure you dont need a Carnet de Passage.
For some countries you need a Carnet - such as India, Iran and Pakistan and a few others - but not the route you mention. Registration documents translated to english should be fine.

Getting a Carnet for a thai plated bike is also a bit complicated as there arent any automobil organisations that can issue a Carnet although its been said there is such a possibility in Malaysia. But for your route you wont need it anyhow….
A translation into English would be easy :)
For sure, the customs there see many Bikers with european registrated bikes, and it seems, that its easy to travel with that.
I'm just little bit concerned, what happen, when they see a Thai green book (even if its issued in the center of the world ;-)

Maybe I need to translate that papers to English and also to Russian language.

BR
Rolf

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
When I travel to Singapore I am required to get an English translation - from approved Gov't translator - of my books into English before crossing into Malaysia.
Done in BKK - can't remember where but found on Google.
Would not be a bad idea to have one - comes with a spiffy gold seal and everything !

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
You can get Carnet from a company in Germany. Supposedly the cheapest Carnet to obtain.
Another German company offer insurance for any Non EU vehicle.
Happy travels.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
You can get Carnet from a company in Germany. Supposedly the cheapest Carnet to obtain.
Another German company offer insurance for any Non EU vehicle.
Happy travels.
Do they really issue Carnets for thai plated bikes as well?

rolf e

Apr 23, 2016
Aldingen
Yes!
I wrote to ADAC, the automobile club in Germany.
They can issue a carnet, but:
- double deposit as normal (appr. 10000.-€) plus 160€ costs as a special fee
- an approved English translation of the green book as canthai said
- to get back the deposit after the bike is back in Thailand, I need the „Certificate of Location“ (which is part of the carnet), from the Thai custom sign and stamped.
- the lady from ADAC warned me that if the Thai custom don't sign the „Certificate of Location“ because they don't know this document, it takes years to get back the deposit.

Maybe its the best to avoid a carnet ... its requested in Iran and India but not at the north route.

Reactions: Oddvar

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
It was Lyndon Poskitt who said in one of his vlogs that the German carnet was cheaper than an English one. I guess it was for a bike on english plates.
Finding someone in Thai custom to sign a paper later on should be no problem, me think.:)