honda vfr 400

Aug 7, 2007
I have been talking to a guy that want to sell his Vfr 400. The bike looks very nice. It has a v twin and he says it tops about 240kmh.
Theres brand new dunlop racing tires on it, green paper an reg, it was registered in thailand 1993 and he dont know the milage.
The bike is a pure racing machine even if it´s street legal.
I just want to know from you guys if it sounds like a good deal and if there is something i should look for that can be a problem in the future?
I will look at the bike next week and even if i like it i will try to get it down to 60000. Just give me some advive of what i should think about.
Cheers. Jon

Reactions: afahmykcs
Jun 10, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by bodisatwa

I have been talking to a guy that want to sell his Vfr 400....It has a v twin and he says it tops about 240kmh.

Yeah, why not?! A 400cc four-stroke v-twin that tops 240Kmh! The owner must be fond of mind-altering mushrooms or has been smoking some pretty strong stuff. Or maybe he forgot to mention that he mounted a compressor or turbo. But it's true that the speedometer on the VRF400 does read 240 kmh on the dial. However, you'd have to throw the bike off a very high cliff to make it reach that speed.

This said, the vfr400 is a reliable and fast bike for its class, and became very popular as a track/race bike.

FYI, the vfr400 is not a v-twin, it's a v-four!

The vfr400's sold in the euro market was unrestricted and had 65hp, the japanese market version (the vfr400 was originally intended for the jap market only, because of legal restrictions) had the same specs as the euro model but had a speed limiter built into the cdi box, limiting top speed at 180kmh. The vfr400's in Thailand are most likely jap imports. The earlier versions could easily be de-restricted by changing the cdi box or mounting a resistor in the ignition circuit. The later Japanese models were designed differently, limiting power to 59hp and thus far less interesting for race/track purposes.

Aug 7, 2007
Ok. So what you are saying is that he is bullshiting me abit. Its good to get the info from you guys couse i dont no that much about that kind of bikes.
The guy was giving me al this info about the speed and the engine. I reacted just like you did about it. I might just send him some more questions and see what he says.
Thanks guys!
Jon

Aug 7, 2007
I have checked the info about the bike now.
The specification is: Honda vfr 400 nc 211 replica. Have an open airflow exhaust system, V4 Engine and a Hrc cdi unit.
???
I just drive the bikes and leave al the other stuff to people that knows. What do you guys say about this info?? I don´t need a bike that can do 240kmh but what kind of speeds are we talking about with this bike??
Jon

Nov 11, 2006
I have a NC35 (RVF400) the later version of the VFR400. About 200km/hr will be your limit depending on gearing and other modifications and of course your weight. If you are 80kg+ and not a little Thai or Jap weighing 65kg you might get it over 200km/hr.
Most of the bikes in Thailand will have been crashed,badly maintained and serviced and fitted with poor quality tyres and cheap after market accessories. If this one has the RC211V fairings where are the originals? It's worth less without them. These were put on as the originals were smashed in a crash.
The HRC CDI only raises the rev limt and doesn't add horsepower. However despite the abuse they get in Thailand they seem to be very reliable.

Reactions: afahmykcs
Apr 23, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by bodisatwa

I have checked the info about the bike now.
The specification is: Honda vfr 400 nc 211 replica. Have an open airflow exhaust system, V4 Engine and a Hrc cdi unit.
???
I just drive the bikes and leave al the other stuff to people that knows. What do you guys say about this info?? I don´t need a bike that can do 240kmh but what kind of speeds are we talking about with this bike??
Jon

I'm just a novice bikerider myself, but I bought one of these some months ago here in CM. In my opinion, 60,000 with plates for a 1993 model is at the upper end of reasonable, but with new tires,
still ok.

I paid 55,000 for mine, mostly cause I liked the guy selling it
(mechanic) and was tired of looking around, even though I knew
I had to pay 7-8,000 more for new tires before using it.
Had I shopped around some months more I could probably have gotten
a similar bike for 45-50,000.

The bike is speced for 180 km/h, the Hrc cdi unit is for removing
that restriction. Haven't driven my faster than 170 myself, so
don't actually know if mine has had the restriction removed, but
regardless of that, at 180 km/h, I doubt the bike will have
all that much power left. Perhaps you will be able to push it
to 200? Dunno. I can't imagine it reaching anything close to
240 though, and if that is untrue, what about other things?

If you, like me, are not to knowledgable about these tings, I'd definitly recommend having a friend or mechanich look at the bike before buying.

I can strongly recommend "the piston shop", mentioned here somewhere,
which is run by a guy called Wut. Speaks good english, is
friendly, and seems to know his stuff.

Nov 11, 2006
The HRC CDI DOES NOT REMOVE THE 180kmh restriction. Other methods are used to do that as advised by Gypsy Rider.
The HRC CDI is used for racing (hence HRC) and it's highly unlikely this bike has one. Have you checked this to be correct?

Apr 23, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by JohhnyE

The HRC CDI DOES NOT REMOVE THE 180kmh restriction. Other methods are used to do that as advised by Gypsy Rider.
The HRC CDI is used for racing (hence HRC) and it's highly unlikely this bike has one. Have you checked this to be correct?

Please take a look at the below page, which seems to clearly
say that the hrc cdi is one of the ways to remove the restriction.
http://www.400greybike.co.uk/Wksp-NC30Derestriction.asp

Gypsy Riders method, if I remember correctly, were for adding
more power/performance. That the cdi derestrictor does not do,
it merly lets you use the power that is in the bike, but which
has been restricted by the regulations in japan.

At least, that is my understanding of it, and while I have not
actually tried the hrc cdi unit, it sounds like many other
people have.