Installing a graphic kit on a Honda XR 250 (Darkside Studio Arts}

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
I must admit that I am a little bit crazy about customizing my bikes, they have to look crazy and different from all other bikes. Those who knew my Africa Twin know how many time I painted that bike. Maybe 25 times since I owned it. To paint on a dirt bike is impossible, the paint will come off immediately, after searching the internet I found a company, that I like and I ordered a 2,2 millimeter scratch resistant graphic kit for my bike. It took about ten days to arrive from the U.S.

I never installed vinyl graphics on bikes, so this is my very first time. The product felt top notch out of the box, after properly cleaning the bike over and over again I was ready to install the first sheet of graphic onto the side panel. Those stickers are about 115 Dollars plus shipping - so You don't want to make any mistakes. The last clean I made with rubbing alcohol, the one you get in the pharmacy for cleaning wounds. I applied windex on the decal and on the plastic. The stickers are touch sensitive and as long as You don't press hard, You can move them around until the final alignment.

With a squeegee and a soft towel I slowly moved out bubbles and underneath the surface. My old air gun finally got used and it worked great. I think I did an "O.k.-Job" for a beginner, I think some guys will do this more professianal then me, but I wanted to try it myself.

The quality of those decals is great. Under heat you can stretch them and move them nicely into corner with pressure.
So now let the result speak. By the way ebay offers a lot of graphic kits for bikes. Check' em out - they're a great investment.

DSCF1206.jpg

DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1209.jpg

DSCF1211.jpg

DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1216.jpg

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Hi Jimmy,
looks nice but the picture is a little blurry, can You try to upload a better picture...thanks

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Saxomator
Yes I remember only too well all your AT paint jobs, some of them sensational too.
Now you're at it again. And this sticker kit looks bloody amazing too. Well done. There's no doubt you're the graphics king )& one hell of a crazy single track rider).

Dec 27, 2007
That's pretty cool! :happy2:

A friend just ordered a sticker kit, I think from the same company, and he's worried about installing the stickers and wants to have it done professionally.

I think I could probably do it, but just have one question- did you need a heat gun to get the stickers to conform to any of the nooks and crannies in the plastics?

Happy Trails!

Tony :happy1:

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Thanks for all the replies, it's actually not as difficult as You think, but a hairdryer or heat gun is a good idea to have at hand, this is the easiest way to work out bubbles and wrinkles. Keep all surfaces wet and with a nice mix of soap and water, the sticker are pressure sensitive and as long as you don't press, You will be able to move them around until the final position, working around the bends and corners is the hardest part and I made some wrinkles, that I couldn't get out any more...

TonyBKK;285898 wrote: That's pretty cool! :happy2:

A friend just ordered a sticker kit, I think from the same company, and he's worried about installing the stickers and wants to have it done professionally.

I think I could probably do it, but just have one question- did you need a heat gun to get the stickers to conform to any of the nooks and crannies in the plastics?

Happy Trails!

Tony :happy1: