K&N Airfilters ?

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Do they really enhance performance?

Will you have to modify the carbs when you use them Not cheap the place I saw them 3995 baht.

I'm thinking about it for a 400 Dragstar, see if I can get a little better performance without making the engine fragile in the process.

I know how to gte a lot more preformance make it a 1100 CC but Mai me Tung LOL

irv327

Nov 23, 2006
The only real problem, if you replace the airbox with clamp-ons, is the lack of water-proofing.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
With the rains we have here and the fact I ride in them as they come up that could be a real problem. The bike stock is really very reliable the best I have ever had here, so maybe the real answer is to just leave it alone. I seldom ride more then 110, but it doesn't have much left after that. It's passing that bothers me, I like to get it done quickly and get back in my lane. Maybe kicking down to fourth gear will solve that.

Thanks

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Ray,

If you work on the induction side of the engine, to have any real benefits you need to do the same on the exhaust side. A "stage 1" tune usually consists of less restrictive air filters (such as K&N), a less restrictive end can or muffler (usually louder too) and then you have to jet the carbs to match. As for your concerns about waterproofing, why not look and see if there is a freer flowing replacement element that will slot right into your airbox? You might find that Twin Air or Unifilter do something for your model.

110 as a max speed seems a bit low - I'd reckon something like your bike should pull to about 140. Is it able to pull to the redline in top? If not, you could lower the gearing a tooth on the front sprocket and see if that helps (if it is chain drive of course - I am not familiar with the model).

Cheers,

Pikey.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ya I was thinking that one change wouldn't really do the trick, not a mechanic but it does seem if you have that much more air in you would have to rejet the carbs.

Thanks

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by pikey

110 as a max speed seems a bit low - I'd reckon something like your bike should pull to about 140.

Ray,

According to a theoretical formula I found some time ago which is reasonable accurate a 400 Dragstar putting out 32.18 Hp should be good for 154kph or 96mph. So you should be able to cruise at say 80-85% of that say 125-130. Peak power is at 7500rpm and peak torgue at 6000. If you are not turning 6000+ when you pass you are no getting full wack.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well I'm still not use to the bike so maybe a tack would help, but it's a full dress bike with a windshield, so more wieght and more drag. Maybe I should try kicking down to 4th.

Haven't cruised beyond 115 yet.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by ray23
[br it's a full dress bike with a windshield, so more wieght and more drag.Haven't cruised beyond 115 yet.

That maybe the key. How high is your windshield? If high
it will be like pushing a barn door.:-(

By rough calc I figure you are at 5400 rpm when cruising at 110kph which is below the peak torgue output of the engine. So yes drop down at least one gear and wring it's neck.

I think it is just a question of time in the seat[:)]

Apr 10, 2006
Maybe try taking the air filter out and going for a brief ride to see if it makes much difference performance wise, if it does then you know it's worth getting a less restrictive filter. Just avoid any dusty roads.

Oct 17, 2006
I have used K&Ns for tuning and replacement on many bikes , Triumphs , HDs, Buells , Ducati , Yamaha, most need some kind of rejetting and exhaust tuning to benefit, but K&Ns are reuasable and well made.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by ray23

Thanks guys really sounds like I just need to work it a bit

Change the spark plugs. Looking at the old ones will tell you which direction to go. If they are black then the filter may be partially plugged. Does it have one common air(box) filter or two individual. If you bought the bike used, then it is possible that the previous owner or mechanic could not get an original filter and used a piece of foam, which is now plugged up. Std. air filters are OK for everyday riding.

There may not be a problem[8D]. It's not a 750 or 1100 so need to be revved a bit to get the most out of it. My two-stroke has nothing much below about 7500-8000 and cruises at 160 at about 9000-9500[}:)]. Strangely wearing ear plugs may improve the performance because everything sounds quieter.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I think I just got to get rpms up. But It's not the Phantom 150 so reving it up makes me nervous I'll get used to it LOL

Jun 21, 2006
Also the Dragstar is shaft drive, so no chance of changing sprocket, and doesn't have a tacho, only a tank mounted speedo

Apr 10, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by tropicaljohno

Also the Dragstar is shaft drive, so no chance of changing sprocket, and doesn't have a tacho, only a tank mounted speedo

Put a bigger back wheel on it then [:D]

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
The question is: do you really want to go much faster than 110km/h? The seating position and aerodynamics of choppers (or cruisers) is not made for going fast. On the last chopper I had I felt like my arms were getting longer by the minute going 130km/h - I felt like a sail in the wind, the helmet alomost tore my head off and every bump at that speed felt like a kick in the ass. Puttering along at around 110 seemed just fine. My CBR feels way more comfortable at 140 than the chopper at 110!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
A very accurate description, hence the large windshield, Or more accurately described the barn door LOL !! 110 is fine with me just want the reserve for passing. The way the bike is set up 130 would still be comfortabale. The 400 is a heavy bike so winds don't bother much.

Apr 22, 2003
Thier is a reason why bikes have air boxes, its to stop the carbs drawing in turbulant air, that is why they are reffered to as "still air box"
The greater the volume of air box the better, besides C/V carbs or constant velocity carbs dont perform as well useing pod type air filters. I did know a guy in Australia though who found that he could fit 4 cans of beer in the plastic box under the seat of his dirt bike, so air boxes can have a duel purpose.
John

Sep 7, 2010
Regarding K&N air filters ... DON'T.

Please do yourself a favor and GOOGLE K&N filter tests and read about how bad they are.

They do flow a bit more air for a while, but they also flow more fine grained dust. This is due to the low surface area of the filter. Also as a result of the lower surface area, they clog up in under 2000km or so, and then flow less air. Therefore you need to clean them quite often.

Another very serious problem with using them on fuel injected engines is that drawing air through the oiled gauze leaves a deposit on the air mass meter, and messes up the signal to the engine management computer and screws up the fuel mixture. Step away from the K&N!

Oct 17, 2006
salbrecht;265356 wrote: Regarding K&N air filters ... DON'T.

Please do yourself a favor and GOOGLE K&N filter tests and read about how bad they are.

My personal experience after using K&N on many bikes here and in UK is that they are good ,
They do flow a bit more air for a while, but they also flow more fine grained dust. This is due to the low surface area of the filter. Also as a result of the lower surface area, they clog up in under 2000km or so, and then flow less air. Therefore you need to clean them quite often.

Another very serious problem with using them on fuel injected engines is that drawing air through the oiled gauze leaves a deposit on the air mass meter, and messes up the signal to the engine management computer and screws up the fuel mixture. Step away from the K&N!
My personal experience after using K&N on many bikes here and in UK is that they are good ,
All my Ducatis have the K&N filter with modified airboxes the S4 has covered over 25,000kms in Thailand with no problems and with new fuel maps and engine mods now has 119hp when i bought it it only has 101hp i clean the filter 2 times a year it only takes a few hours to wash , dry and re oil it ,my injectors and engine internals are all in perfect condition .

but to get even more power and flexibilty i am now experimenting with aftermarket Pod filters as the airbox is a pain to remove and reinstall when working on the bikes