Kawasaki by Pop with no insurance

Feb 8, 2009
Last week I talk with the owner from Pop Motorcycle, now the Kawasaki bikes you can rent but without insurance. To many accident he told me and to expensive for aool his bike. Thats a risk for many tourist people. :crazy: :shh:

Dec 27, 2007
Hmmmm... well, the bikes have to carry the minimum liability insurance required by Thai law to stay registered, right? So I'm guessing he's saying no first class insurance will be offered anymore so any damage done to the bikes will come out of the renter's pocket? Sounds fair enough really...

Apr 27, 2010
angkor1 wrote: Last week I talk with the owner from Pop Motorcycle, now the Kawasaki bikes you can rent but without insurance. To many accident he told me and to expensive for aool his bike. Thats a risk for many tourist people. :crazy: :shh:
Yup, seems to be the case with all the shops (at least the one i spoke to). They all said the same thing, to many accidents so no insurance company wants to sign with them.. They all had the compulsory third party insurance though.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
DaRider wrote: [quote quote=angkor1]Last week I talk with the owner from Pop Motorcycle, now the Kawasaki bikes you can rent but without insurance. To many accident he told me and to expensive for aool his bike. Thats a risk for many tourist people. :crazy: :shh:
Yup, seems to be the case with all the shops (at least the one i spoke to). They all said the same thing, to many accidents so no insurance company wants to sign with them.. They all had the compulsory third party insurance though.
Did any of them actually carry insurance in the first place??? (other than Third Party, which I assume is only Third Party Medical)... I always thought that the shops just 'self insured' i.e. charged an extra 100baht, and then if you binned it, charged yo 1/3 of the bikes value and paid for the repairs themself...

Hopefully DavidFL will be in soon to tell us aboot MrMechanic's policy...

Cheers,
Daewoo

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
According to my source the first class insurance costs 8,000 baht for the first year.
However the insurance company providing the cover delays in paying out (what a surprise) & the bike stays in the queue at the repair shop while the insurance company is debating the damage bill.

Meanwhile the bike is off the road & the rental company is losing rental money.

There is also a 5,000 baht premium to pay when claiming on the insurance.
5,000 baht plus is a huge amount of damage to a Kawa.

After a year the rental companies don't think it is worth renewing the first class insurance.

So if you smash it, you pay for it. Mr Mechanic does have a limit though, not more than 10,000 baht (I think.)

My recommendation: use Mr Mechanic. :thumbup:

Jan 14, 2010
Davidfl wrote: So if you smash it, you pay for it. Mr Mechanic does have a limit though, not more than 10,000 baht (I think.)

My recommendation: use Mr Mechanic. :thumbup:
I can confirm the 10,000 baht limit (if you take out the insurance) at Mr Mechanic from first hand experience. :oops:

Aug 26, 2010
Here's the latest insurance terms from Benz at Mr.Mechanic

The motorbike with insurance covers the following
1. In case the motorbike breaks down outside the city of Chiang Mai, the renter can get it repaired somewhere near by first and then must bring a repairing service receipt to claim 100% money back from Mr. Mechanic. But it does not cover the expenses of transporting the motorbike to the garage and working overtime or the cost of working outdoors for a mechanic. ( except for flat types or blow outs, the expense is not claimable )
2. In case of accident, the renter must pay for repairing maximum 5,000 baht.
3. In case the motorbike gets stolen, renter must pay 30,000 baht ( as the real price cost 80,000-100,000 baht )
4. This insurance doesn’t cover the damage occurring towards the third party’s vehicle.

Agreement of personal insurance in case of accident.
1. This insurance covers everyone who gets injured from accident by this motorbike for medical expenses being disabled or death (personal belongings are not covered)
2. This insurance covers medical expenses for driver at maximum of 15,000 baht, for companion and others at 50,000 – 80,000 baht.
3. In case the medical expense is lower than 500 baht, the renter is required to pay on his/her own, in case the renter is found guilty from accident; the renter is required to pay another 2,000 baht for arrangement.