Kawasaki Versys Coming

Dec 27, 2007
Hoghead wrote: 33.3 inch seat height and 30 inch legs. I have had bikes like that before and it is a sure thing for toppling over
Not too svelte either

Best value for money and suits our crappy roads, however with that seat height I will wait for a test sit before deciding
For the vertically challenged it's a very easy bike to lower. Drop the front forks a couple of inches and replace the rear shock with a shorter aftermarket shock or buy a lowering link and you're set.

Or, if the Versys is really too tall for you you might consider an ER6n with suspension upgrades off the Versys... Same same but different :lol-sign:

Feb 5, 2007
Shortening the suspension negates one of the big plusses of this model - longer travel suspension for the crappy roads.
Shortening the seat seems a better way to go if my aging butt can handle it.

I see the seat height as a big drawback to local sales as the majority of the population is vertically challenged and Kawi must have some sort of alternate seat solutions in hand.

Dec 27, 2007
Hoghead wrote: Shortening the suspension negates one of the big plusses of this model - longer travel suspension for the crappy roads.
Shortening the seat seems a better way to go if my aging butt can handle it.

I see the seat height as a big drawback to local sales as the majority of the population is vertically challenged and Kawi must have some sort of alternate seat solutions in hand.

Talking to the sales and marketing staff at Kawa, Thailand HQ they said that most Versys pre-orders have so far been placed by foreigners. (Actually, very few Thai seem to be aware that this bike is even coming to Thailand yet).

FWIW Kawasaki does make an OEM Low Seat for the ER6n, ER6f and Ninja 650R:
EX650LOWSeat650RSSR.jpg

OEM LOW Seat above and regular OEM seat below:
EX650OEMSeat650RSSR.jpg

I imagine there is a similar OEM Low Seat on offer for the Versys.

But we're lucky as in Thailand you can get your seat redone to your specifications at just about any saddle shop for ~400 Baht or so :mrgreen:

Here's a cool vid of my 400 Baht custom seat for my Ninja 650R:
[youtube:hgt34ezz] /youtube:hgt34ezz]

The seat on the Versys LOOKS more comfortable than the Ninja 650R / ER6n seat so I'll give it a try as is, but if it needs to be modified in any way I'll pay a visit to the saddle-master in the vid above :happy5:

Ride On!

Tony

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hmm 285k for a Versy mid November good onya Kawa but the price is getting up there so it makes the original 6-n ( sold for 225k ) secondhand 18 months old a good buy. For example a fellow rider recently brought a 6-n (orange) with 4000 km's for only 155,000 baht and in new condition. Don't you just love competition and the way the bike scene is changing in Thailand - this is food for thought.

Cheers Ken F

Nov 7, 2007
KenYam wrote: Hmm 285k for a Versy mid November good onya Kawa but the price is getting up there so it makes the original 6-n ( sold for 225k ) secondhand 18 months old a good buy. For example a fellow rider recently brought a 6-n (orange) with 4000 km's for only 155,000 baht and in new condition. Don't you just love competition and the way the bike scene is changing in Thailand - this is food for thought.

Cheers Ken F
Sure if you're smart you wait 2 years until the market is flooded with dirt-cheap 2nd hand Versyses. Even more Ninjas and ER-6ns are going to go on the market once the Versys is sold and people upgrade.

But if you're smarter, you enjoy your life now :D

Compare with similar bikes from KTM and BMW for more than 2x the price, the Versys is a steal.

Dec 27, 2007
KenYam wrote: Hmm 285k for a Versy mid November good onya Kawa but the price is getting up there so it makes the original 6-n ( sold for 225k ) secondhand 18 months old a good buy. For example a fellow rider recently brought a 6-n (orange) with 4000 km's for only 155,000 baht and in new condition. Don't you just love competition and the way the bike scene is changing in Thailand - this is food for thought.

Cheers Ken F
Food for thought... Well, a 2009 ER6n with only 4000km for 155k Baht is a very good deal indeed, but it isn't a Versys. The Versys has ABS and higher grade suspension. Oh, and it's new with a 2 year unlimited warranty. Upgrading the ER6n's suspension to Versys spec will cost you close to 100k Baht and let's not even talk about the cost of ABS. For me it's a no brainer. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my new Versys NOW and maybe you can buy it from me in a couple of years. I promise to sell it nice and cheap :mrgreen:
Ride On!
Tony

Apr 20, 2009
TonyBKK wrote: I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my new Versys NOW and maybe you can buy it from me in a couple of years. I promise to sell it nice and cheap :mrgreen:
Ride On!
Tony
Knowing you though that poor bike will have the $h1t beat out of it by then though!

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Calm down fellow riders I am not knocking the Versys but simply stating somebody out there is going to buy a cheap secondhand larger bikes now ( not bloody 2 yrs time ) as that is the current market, food for thought hey, especially for those people who can't afford to send 285k on a new bike. I for one will hire a Versys when they become available and decide for myself. I understand the differences between all the Kawa 650 models so the 285k price tag for the Versys is no surprise, but what did surprise me was Kawa doing a backflip on selling this model.
Thanks Tony for the offer to purchase your 2 year old Versys but I must decline as new Kawa bikes are very affordable in Thailand currently. I suggest you enjoy your new bike, sorry all your 4 bikes and stay safe mate.

Ken F

Dec 27, 2007
KenYam wrote: I understand the differences between all the Kawa 650 models so the 285k price tag for the Versys is no surprise, but what did surprise me was Kawa doing a backflip on selling this model.
Backflip? :?:

May 6, 2009
I think the Versy is a bit under done. Bit like an overweight boxer.
To me it seems a lot of people buy based on a price and not the product. Is to really value for money?
It weighs 209 kilograms fully fuelled and only 47kw power. And only 6.1 Kg m torque.
My CBR1000RR weighs 210kg fully fuelled. Has 133kw power and 11.6 kg m torque.
I know you are going to say the CBR is also double the price, but it also double the fun and no need to modify and spend more on exhausts and other fixes. Just save your pennies for double the time until you have enough money and buy a better bike.
The Versy suspension doesn’t have compression dampening. Only rebound and pre load.
The bikes suspension should perform fine if used sedately but I bet that compression dampening adjustment will be sorely missed if someone starts pushing the bike hard.
The so called long stroke suspension is only 30mm more than a sports bike on the front and just 10mm at the rear. 150mm of suspension travel is hardly comparable to decent long stroke suspension in the 200mm to 300mm range.
I have read reviews that state the brakes have a wooden feel and a decent amount of pressure is required to pull the bike up hard. Especially loaded and with a pillion.
Dare I say the bike is targeted at learners? It is a learner approved bike (LAM’s) in Australia.
I am a bit nervous to send this post. I guess I better lay low and hide in my armoured car for a while as I expect the flack to fly.
Now a better option would be to buy my very low kilometer 2006 FZ1with all the brakes, power and torque you need for only 320K Just 35K more than a Versy. But I guess bike loyalty will prevail.

Nov 7, 2007
Well brian, everyone's entitled to their opinions. No need to hide.

Nobody here has yet ridden a Versys 2010, so nobody can really say how it feels to ride. The tests everywhere have been very positive. It's been compared with the 650GS and other bikes in the same categories, and it's compared favorably. Good enough for me. One thing you're right about: The price makes it a no-brainer, rather than one of many competing, similar bikes as it would in the west. I fail to see the "problem" with that though :)

"Is to really value for money?"

110% YES :D

Dec 27, 2007
brian66 wrote: I think the Versy is a bit under done. Bit like an overweight boxer.
To me it seems a lot of people buy based on a price and not the product. Is to really value for money?
It weighs 209 kilograms fully fuelled and only 47kw power. And only 6.1 Kg m torque.
My CBR1000RR weighs 210kg fully fuelled. Has 133kw power and 11.6 kg m torque.
I know you are going to say the CBR is also double the price, but it also double the fun and no need to modify and spend more on exhausts and other fixes. Just save your pennies for double the time until you have enough money and buy a better bike.
The Versy suspension doesn’t have compression dampening. Only rebound and pre load.
The bikes suspension should perform fine if used sedately but I bet that compression dampening adjustment will be sorely missed if someone starts pushing the bike hard.
The so called long stroke suspension is only 30mm more than a sports bike on the front and just 10mm at the rear. 150mm of suspension travel is hardly comparable to decent long stroke suspension in the 200mm to 300mm range.
I have read reviews that state the brakes have a wooden feel and a decent amount of pressure is required to pull the bike up hard. Especially loaded and with a pillion.
Dare I say the bike is targeted at learners? It is a learner approved bike (LAM’s) in Australia.
I am a bit nervous to send this post. I guess I better lay low and hide in my armoured car for a while as I expect the flack to fly.
Now a better option would be to buy my very low kilometer 2006 FZ1with all the brakes, power and torque you need for only 320K Just 35K more than a Versy. But I guess bike loyalty will prevail.
IMO it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison putting a Supersport liter bike against a... well, what IS the Versys anyway? It's certainly NOT a sport bike. It's not a dirt bike... It's not a touring bike in the classical sense... I think in stock form it's not quite an adventure bike though there are a lot of guys out there doing adventure rides on it...

I think different people buy it for different reasons. Here in Thailand the bike scene is obviously unique in that Kawasaki is the only manufacture offering domestically produced big bikes at less than HALF the cost of comparable imports. Personally I think it will make an excellent CHEAP (by Thai standards) adventure touring bike. I STILL haven't ridden in Laos or Cambodia but I WANT to. Would I take my GSXR 1000 across the border? I think not! Would you take your CBR1000? Sure it's POSSIBLE and yes, it's been done, but can we admit that supersports aren't really meant for dirt? Some call this "adventure", I call is silly-
MCAdventureR1.jpg

Quite a few GT Riders have done successful tours of Laos and Cambodia on Ninja 650Rs and ER6ns, I think that for just a little bit more money the Versys will be even better suited to "go anywhere" style riding than the lower spec ER6n and Ninja 650R.

I don't know the specs for the older FZ1 but I've heard only good things about that bike. Then again a 2006 will have no warranty coverage, I imagine it's heavier than the Versys, does it have ABS? and of course no local parts supply or service as Yamaha never sold that model in Thailand...

In the perfect world where money is no object I think we'd all like to have a scoot for running to the local corner store, a real dirt bike for DIRT, and supersport for track and perfect fast roads, perhaps a motard for tearing around light and fast, a big mile munching Sport Tourer for trips down to Singapore and a versatile go-anywhere bike like a BMW800GS or Versys for trips that will include varied conditions and surfaces. Oh, and perhaps a Harley for plowing the back 40 :lol-sign:

If I was back in the US I don't think the Versys would even be on my radar, but here in Thailand I think it fills a niche very nicely that you can otherwise only occupy by spending more than double the money for a Beemer or Duc or KTM... Yes, I'd LOVE to have a BMW 800 GS in my stable, but am I going to spend that kind of money when I can get the Versys for less than half and have dirt cheap parts readily available and authorized Kawasaki service centers at my disposal all over the country? I'm not wealthy so cost and convenience does factor into my buying decisions. I've had a blast on the ER6ns and Ninja 650R and have no doubt that the Versys will be just as much fun, if not more.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

ps I ain't sellin' the GIXXER! :happy5:

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Brian66 your 2006 Red Fazer with only 5,000k's for 320,000 baht is the best buy I have ever seen In Thailand for a big bike ( basically a new bike ), I can't believe it is still for sale. I have a older Fazer 1000 ( in perfect condition ) and I have to agree with you it has lots of power, good brakes,suspension and an upright riding position,the fun factor I gain from this bike is amasing, I will never sell her as she is a classic. This is the only reason you have not received a call from me re your Fazer. I am interested in riding the Versys to rate it as a town hack as this is what I need now, the other kawa 650's just aren't long enough for my old legs, hence my interest and good luck to you for a future sale and those bloody beautiful CBR's of yours.

Cheers Ken F

Apr 20, 2008
Hi mates

One of my riding buddy 65 yrs young rode a Kawa Versys during my trip to Cambodia and which he and another buddy on AT
continue from Phnom Penh to Ventiane on the 2nd leg of the trip. So far the bike performs to the expectation and is fuel
efficient although the stock tyres are not appropriate for gravel road which they rode along the Mekong from Kampong Cham to Stung Treng.

Pic taken in Siem Reap gas stop.
DSCN7126.jpg

Should be a good mid size bike to travel in this part of the region.

May 6, 2009
Ken ,
Yes I agree the FZ is at a bargain price now. I do have a couple of people interested. One, being Red Baron motor cycles. I can imagine Vikrom putting on the floor for about 400,000. Actually he has a 2008 FZ1 on the floor now.
I could have sold it a year or so ago to a well known GT rider guy in Chiang Mai who actually has his own red FZ1 now. However my brother asked me to keep it for him to ride on his occasional visits to Thailand. The bike has not been ridden as I work away and when I do come home I prefer to ride my Blades and my WR450.
I added the FZ1 to my comments about the Versy just as a ploy really. As a sneaky way to get more attention to it.
Yamaha FZ1 and R1’s do not break down and parts are easy to get through the internet. However they are never required for at least 10 years as the bikes are rock solid. As they are built to a quality not to a price.

To make a selling price cheaper you have to use cheaper material, parts and labour so you end up with a cheaper product. Which in theory at least, will inevitably deteriorate quicker than a higher quality product.

I don’t know why I made comments about the Versy as bikes are an individual thing and we all choose differently for different reasons. I am a bit of a technical person with my engineering background so I look at more than the price of a bike. For me, “bang for bucks” is not how I choose my bikes. I want the bang and I don’t consider the bucks.
How it performs in the engine, brakes and handling, its weigh and balance is more important to me than the price. I have ridden John Gooding’s Ninja and to honest I found it totally underwhelming. In power, handing and especially brakes. Others would find the engine power adequate and brakes just fine which again highlights our individual taste in bikes.

Tony’s picture of a GSX being ridden through a stream is not that unrealistic. That GSX is the same weigh as a Versy. Has almost the same suspension travel. Has the same electronics and engine components to be affected by water. The GSX does have 50mm less ground clearance so any hidden pot holes could be a danger. But the Versy has a muffler under the bike that is exposed to the same pot hole problems.
If you mounted high and wider bars to the GSX, then going through that stream on the Suzuki or the Versy is virtually the same.

Comparing my Blade to the Versy was to highlight the huge difference in the weight verse power and torque. The Versy is pulling the same weight with 60% less power and 50% less torque.
I would suggest the Versy will be used 95% on sealed roads and medium rough unsealed roads. It will be able to tackle some rough tertian but I would be certain it would be ridden at walking pace.
To make it suitable to ride rough terrain you would have to add tyres, raise the ground clearances and get that muffler raised. The bike would then be less capable on the sealed roads.

Comparing Apples to Oranges is ok in terms of bikes, as on a race track we often find Apples racing Oranges. As can be seen when Tony is competing with the liter bikes on his Kawaka.
And I bet on the road the instinct to chase and pass your riding partner through the twisties will have the Versy punters trying very hard even if the other guy is on a liter bike. It is just natural that you want to stick it up him.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
TonyBKK wrote:
If I was back in the US I don't think the Versys would even be on my radar, but here in Thailand I think it fills a niche very nicely that you can otherwise only occupy by spending more than double the money for a Beemer or Duc or KTM...
I think that is exactly the arguement captured...

I look at a Versys here in Aus, and wonder why anyone would choose that bike... I feel the same about the KLR650 (which I ride, but hopefully only for another week, buying an 08 FZ1 :D)...

You guys in Thailand seem to be hot for these bikes that aren't highly sort after here, and I have to keep reminding myself that, they may not be the best bike, but they are the best available...

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with...

Stephen_Stills_-_Love_The_One.jpg

Cheers,
Daewoo

Nov 7, 2007
Maybe we should open another "why I wouldn't want a Versys" thread for you guys.

I think it's great.

End of story :D

Jul 28, 2008
And if it's so bad how come it's won numerous awards and often comes out on top when compared to other similar bikes? In a recent comparison to a BMW F650GS by a well-known and reputable motorbike magazine it was considered a better all-round package. 285,000 for a Versys or 690,000 for the BMW, a no-brainer really!

Dec 27, 2007
It's funny I never actually bothered to read any reviews about the Versys.

I've been happy with my ER6n's and Ninja 650R and just figured the Versys is more of the same but taller, with a bigger tank and improved suspension.

Reading some reviews now I see that the bike has been well received since its debut in 2006/7.

This motorcycle.com review is excellent:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2010-kawasaki-versys-review-89580.html

Some quotes:

"The Versys takes elements from dual-purpose bikes, standards, adventure-tourers and sportbikes; sharing characteristics of all, but neatly fitting into the category of none. "

"It is essentially a longer-travel ER-6n, albeit with a more sophisticated inverted fork, an asymmetrical “gullwing” aluminum swingarm, retuned engine for broad midrange power, and with unique looks. "

"Its is good at nearly any kind of on-road riding you can throw at it – from grocery getting, to commuting, to sport riding, to exploring even the roughest of roads nearby, or on tour."

"Kawasaki now correctly calls the Versys a “sport” bike. As such, it does not readily run out of cornering clearance, despite respectable grip from the stock Dunlop D221 Sportmax rubber, and its wide handlebar aids and abets riders to snap it into corners.

If the road turns rough, the Versys suspension inspires more confidence than its
ostensibly more sporting stablemates.

Out back its offset laydown Showa shock provides 5.7 inches of travel, compared to the Ninja 650R or ER-6n’s 4.9 inches. All three bikes offer stepped spring preload adjustment, but the Versys adds 13-position adjustable rebound.

Up front is a likewise longer inverted 41mm fork cycling through 5.9 inches of travel, and offering stepless adjustable rebound and preload, compared to the Ninja 650R’s or ER-6n’s basic non-adjustable 4.7 inch standard hydraulic fork.

The Versys’ front and rear spring rates are progressive. The result is an initially soft and very compliant feel over stutter bumps, chewed up pavement, or patched and seamed sections of roads. But when speeds get competitive, the spring rates firm up, and the bike feels planted and secure."

Can't wait to get mine! :mrgreen:

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Nov 7, 2007
Yeah, plenty of glowing reviews out there. And since 2010 it looks great, too :D

Maybe it's a little hard to wrap your head around the pricing situation here. When a bike costs 2x as much, you maybe against better knowledge expect twice as much. Or just 10% more. That's a fallacy. Think about it this way: For any bike made outside Thailand, HALF of the money goes towards the Thai government. The other half goes towards the bike. With Thai made Kawasakis, 100% goes towards the bike.

Dec 27, 2007
Stopped by Kwackerzaki to see the 2011 Versys which they just put out on the showroom floor. Made sure to bring a camera this time!

2011BlkVersysShrmRRSSR.jpg

Good looking bike! :thumbup:

Rear shock with adjustable preload and damping:
2011BlkVersysShrm2SSR.jpg

Nice looking instruments; great to have an analogue tach! :clap:
2011BlkVersysShrm3SSR.jpg

The headers have been connected like this, apparently for added strength-
2011BlkVersysShrm4SSR.jpg

Shifting linkage is completely different than the ER6n and Ninja 650R and is adjustable :thumbup:
2011BlkVersysShrm5SSR.jpg

The three way adjustable screen is decidedly low tech- to change the position you have to remove the socket bolts and remount it in the new position... Guess it's best to find the position you like and then leave it there. :roll:
2011BlkVersysShrm8SSR.jpg

Woohoo!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
Hi Tony ,
the Mityon website has a few more pics and details on ther web site , also shows the Maroon shade of Red for the second model option ;
http://www.khattiyasurin.com/chaemmuang ... outus.html

Regards
Linds