Kawasaki Versys Coming

Dec 27, 2007
nikster wrote: [quote quote=pee]
That's a lot of guessing about Versys abilities on the dirt... This is why I wait for trusty GT-Riders first hand experience -not giving much credit to magazines reviews.
Cheers
Well from what I read online in the various forums the Versys pretty much sucks in the dirt. Main factors are tires and a small front wheel. Tires can be remedied, wheel size probably not that easily?!
Where there's a will there's a way! Seems like this guy's got a 19" on the front of his Versys? Those aren't the original shocks either.
635470880_CmJCe-O.jpg

I'm not mechanic or engineer but have to believe there are some 19" wheels out there that will fit the Versys without major modifications.
Ride On!
Tony

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Interesting pic Khun Tony!
Good to see how far one could push the Versys cursor towards dirt bike option...
However in the end it all come back to:
a) where one wish to ride
b)which bike(s) one already got in the stable

I totally agree with your vision of the bike industry; about "the "influence" (if any) that Kawasaki Thailand has on the home office in Japan": zilch, none, nada, zero...
Even if they had half an inch of influence it would come to nothing as dirt riding is considered as "low so" and dirt riders don't worth much more than dirt. They would never stand up for us.
So we are left with Japan home office dictate... May pen rai

Pace & Salute

Dec 27, 2007
pee wrote: Interesting pic Khun Tony!
Good to see how far one could push the Versys cursor towards dirt bike option...
However in the end it all come back to:
a) where one wish to ride
b)which bike(s) one already got in the stable

I totally agree with your vision of the bike industry; about "the "influence" (if any) that Kawasaki Thailand has on the home office in Japan": zilch, none, nada, zero...
Even if they had half an inch of influence it would come to nothing as dirt riding is considered as "low so" and dirt riders don't worth much more than dirt. They would never stand up for us.
So we are left with Japan home office dictate... May pen rai

Pace & Salute

Well said Eric,

Anyway, I prefer not to lament about the bikes we do not have, but rather celebrate all the bikes that have newly become available in Thailand in the last few years.

It's only in the last few years that Yamaha, BMW, Ducati, Kawasaki and Triumph (and perhaps now KTM) opened dealerships selling 100% legal bikes in Thailand. I guess before that pretty much ALL big bikes in this country were gray market imports, yes?

I think it's a FANTASTIC time to be a biker in Thailand! More models available at all different price points and the prices for used bikes are are coming down quickly now thanks to more and more quality 100% legal second hand bikes on the market.

La vie est bonne, n'est ce pas?! :happy5:

Tony

pee

Mar 10, 2006
FeelinAlright.jpg

La vie est belle indeed!
It was also good when choice of bike was limited and we had to ride what we had or was available. Big fun can be had on small bikes.
Lanna, Lao,have such a huge fun potential for biking that savings can be made on the etiquette or pride attached to prestige machine like BM, KTM,Ducati, etc
Today these princess come all pampered and plated but at a price and with huge tax... Paying too much money in tax is not good for one's self esteem.
At least second hand bikes come cheaper. That's saves the day.
However I believe Japanese bikes offer best value for money -especially in Siam. This is why the Versys is getting my attention..
But why, why do we always want more... This is a Buddhist country for God sake... We should begin to master the extinction of desire (etc) by now.
La vie est bonne as it is... Good to keep that in mind!

Cheers

Nov 7, 2007
Put a deposit down on a black one! Will either come Nov 10th with the first batch, or thereafter. I am thinking probably thereafter - then again maybe not, Kawasaki have managed to over-deliver before.

Nosey person that I am I tried to get all the info I could and was told that:
- A first batch is to arrive in CM on November 10th. It's unclear how many bikes (previously they said 8 ).
- Most pre-orders are for black.
- 10 or so pre-orders at Kawa CM
- An attempt to deliver bikes on a first-come-first-served basis Thailand-wide. Can't imagine this working too well, couldn't dealers just cheat? But anyway that's what they're going for.
- Large number of pre-orders so far. Many people are upgrading from either the ER-6s or the D-Tracker. Clearly that's another way to look at the Versys: A D-Tracker with considerably more power. Or an ER6 with better suspension. Or an adventure bike. Pretty versatile, no? ;)

I also talked Nop about the possibility of spraying the bike another color, like yellow. He said many people had asked about green or yellow, and in his opinion a custom after market paint job isn't going to be nearly as good as the factory one. Speaking from experience there as they'd done custom paint jobs for some customers.

Dec 27, 2007
nikster wrote: Put a deposit down on a black one! Will either come Nov 10th with the first batch, or thereafter. I am thinking probably thereafter - then again maybe not, Kawasaki have managed to over-deliver before.

Nosey person that I am I tried to get all the info I could and was told that:
- A first batch is to arrive in CM on November 10th. It's unclear how many bikes (previously they said 8 ).
- Most pre-orders are for black.
- 10 or so pre-orders at Kawa CM
- An attempt to deliver bikes on a first-come-first-served basis Thailand-wide. Can't imagine this working too well, couldn't dealers just cheat? But anyway that's what they're going for.
- Large number of pre-orders so far. Many people are upgrading from either the ER-6s or the D-Tracker. Clearly that's another way to look at the Versys: A D-Tracker with considerably more power. Or an ER6 with better suspension. Or an adventure bike. Pretty versatile, no? ;)

I also talked Nop about the possibility of spraying the bike another color, like yellow. He said many people had asked about green or yellow, and in his opinion a custom after market paint job isn't going to be nearly as good as the factory one. Speaking from experience there as they'd done custom paint jobs for some customers.

Good info Nikster!

Saw your ER6n up for sale and hope you'll have no trouble selling it- she's a beaut!

As for changing the color- there really aren't that many painted panels on the Versys. If you were to take them off and send them to a QUALITY paint shop I see no reason why you couldn't have paint quality equal to or better than Kawasaki OEM. I ordered the Blood Red Versys myself because my old Diablo Black ER6n was a biotch to keep clean :wink:

Ride On!

Tony

Nov 7, 2007
Selling the ER-6n poses a bit of a logistics problem - if I sell it now, then don't get the Versys until December, I'd be without bike for a month. Horrors! So I went to Kawa CM today (I don't actually know the real name of the shop - it must have one?!) to inquire.

They're getting 6 bikes on Nov 10th, 3 red and 3 black. All bikes are taken, but one guy in front of me gets to decide between red and black - if he takes red, I'll get the black one. If not I can either take red or wait. So not too bad, I'm liking my chances, and if somebody is undecided, I don't know, I think the red will look really good in person.

After that bikes will trickle in slowly, like every week or so.

Read some random review which said the Versys likes to wheelie in the first gear, thanks to a very short first gear. Woo hoooo :D

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I'd rather wait a week or three to get the color I want. Take the red one now, be sorry next month!

Sell the ER6 now and ride a Honda Wave for a month - you'll be even more happy when the Versys arrives!

That's my two baht.

Jul 6, 2004
2010 model Versys with ABS in Oz is selling for $13,000 drive away, with registration etc.
That's around 377,000Bht. So if it is selling for under 300,000Bht in Thailand, it is good value.
Tom

Nov 7, 2007
Tom Forde wrote: 2010 model Versys with ABS in Oz is selling for $13,000 drive away, with registration etc.
That's around 377,000Bht. So if it is selling for under 300,000Bht in Thailand, it is good value.
Tom
Seems outrageous given that it's $7,700 MSRP in the USA - not sure about drive away - taxes etc need to be added, but usually there's some sort of discount and so on - I'd recon you probably pay MSRP only for those vehicles that have a long waiting list.

Then again maybe the dealers in Oz have "forgotten" to account for the _strong_ Australian dollar. It happens a lot ;)

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Versys costs 285.000 Baht here in Thailand. In Australia they are the Same Price as a Triumph Bonneville which sells here for nearly 600,000 Baht!!! Now doesn't that make You wonder how the Same Priced Bikes there can be so different in Cost here, Double the Price???
Makes the Versys a Bargain and the Bonneville a Blatant Rip Off!!! Someone is Making a lot of Money on them?

Dec 27, 2007
Der... due to a "miscommunication" with the folks over at Kwackerzaki I have seen, but not yet taken possession of my new Versys... :? :roll: :think: :oops:
110210MyVersysSSR.jpg

They tell me I can pick her up tomorrow... :?:
I'll certainly keep you posted!
Ride On!
Tony

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Tony,
If you deprive a dog a bone for a long time and feed him only rice, the first bone thrown over the fence is devoured as a feast.
This is what is happening in Thailand with new big bikes and Mr Kawasaki has provided the bone.
Fortunately in Oz (and the rest of the civilized world) we have a large range of bikes to choose from.
The Triumph 675 Street triple sells for a little more the the Versys, no comparison in the bikes.
The Kawasaki dealers in Oz can't give the Versys away, there is discounts in Queensland for around $10,500 less than $3000 on listed price.
I am not saying that the Versys is not a good bike, just remember it is really a budget entry bike, not a GS beater.
Remember it is the only 'bone' Thailand has for sale at the moment at a realistic price.
So hopefully some of the other japanese bike manufacturers will see what Mr Kawasaki has achieved in market share in such a small time.
Cheers
Tom

Dec 27, 2007
Tom Forde wrote: Hi Tony,
If you deprive a dog a bone for a long time and feed him only rice, the first bone thrown over the fence is devoured as a feast.
This is what is happening in Thailand with new big bikes and Mr Kawasaki has provided the bone.
Fortunately in Oz (and the rest of the civilized world) we have a large range of bikes to choose from.
The Triumph 675 Street triple sells for a little more the the Versys, no comparison in the bikes.
The Kawasaki dealers in Oz can't give the Versys away, there is discounts in Queensland for around $10,500 less than $3000 on listed price.
I am not saying that the Versys is not a good bike, just remember it is really a budget entry bike, not a GS beater.
Remember it is the only 'bone' Thailand has for sale at the moment at a realistic price.
So hopefully some of the other japanese bike manufacturers will see what Mr Kawasaki has achieved in market share in such a small time.
Cheers
Tom
Cheers Tom,

I agree with you 100%!

None of these Kwackers would have interested me if I was still back in the US or Japan, but here in Thailand where we suffer such a limited selection and such huge mark-ups on imported bikes the Kwackers represent unbeatable value, and that's why I continue to buy them.

With the terrible US economy and weak British pound Triumph's are dirt cheap in the US these days and if I had to return to the states I'd probably be riding a Sprint ST for touring and a Daytona 675 for ripping through the fast roads. Then again- the US has turned into such a police state that I'd no doubt lose my license and end up in jail in no time if I rode there the way I ride in Thailand :mrgreen:

It is worth noting that in one comparison review the Versys actually did come out on top of the BMW F650GS. Hard to believe I know! Really it's more fair to compare the Versys to the BMW F650GS IMO as they are more similar in power while the F800GS is higher spec with a significant power advantage over the Versys... Now where is that damn link... Ah found it!
[youtube:1mlm4sjz] /youtube:1mlm4sjz]

We must also admit that off road the Versys, with it's extra weight and 17" front wheel won't stand a chance against the F650GS or F800GS. But on pavement and rough roads I think the Versys can keep up with the Beemers no problem. And with the Versys going for 285K Baht and the F800GS going for something like 790K Baht! :shock: there's just no way I can say that the BMW is worth that kind of money...

But for the guys who can afford it the F800GS is a SWEET ride! :clap:

Ride On!

Tony

Dec 27, 2007
Here's a long (and slightly dated) comparison review of the Kawasaki Versys, BMW F800GS and Suzuki D-Strom. I can't be bothered to read the whole damn thing but will save the link for a rainy day :wink:

Sep 4, 2007
Now now Tony the BMW F800GS is ONLY 770K not 790K, and you have to take into account that you get 4L of free petrol, free air in the tyres, and oil in the sump, and not only that, 1st Class insurance and free road tax, so its quite a bargin really :lol-sign: :lol-sign:
When I bought my Ninja 650 Kawasaki Udon delivered free 120km to KK, gave me a nice Kawa T Shirt, and a decent Real Helmet. Are they giving any goodies with the Versys, or is it selling too well.
Apart from the free oil air and fuel when I bought both my GS BMW's they gave me, trying to remember, :think: :think: :think: actually nothing and wanted to charge me for delivery to my hotel in BKK after first service. However that will probably not stop me seriously considering the S1000RR, they just happen to have the products and the price does not seem to matter so much. Unfortunatley apart from smart customer showrooms, polite and pretty assistants and reasonable workshops, customer service does not seem to matter to them. That is for motorcycle customers, no idea if the car buyer fares better.

Jul 6, 2004
Kawasaki have a good opportunity to expand the 650 range, the motor is a gem.
A mate of mine in Samui used to race in Ireland and the UK. He raced in a 650 class with worked over parallel twins and v twins.
Mostly Kawasaki and Suzuki V's. He reckons they could get 92 BHP out of the Kraka but the Suzi would blow.
Now wouldn't a Kawasaki version of the Yamaha Tenere be something else.
By the way the guy in question is coming up for the CM Bike week, catch up with him if you want to talk 650 Kwaka's
He is from Dublin, raced under the name of 'Inchman' (he is about 5'2') and rode against guys like Joey Dunlop.
Cheers
Tom :happy5:

Nov 7, 2007
I think this is actually a good thing - I never would have thought that I'd enjoy the ER-6n that much; I'd probably never have bought it! Same for the Versys. As one review said, the Versys would for me probably have remained the "bike I never knew I wanted."

As it is Kawasaki isn't just cheap, but they're also producing very competitive bikes that are just great fun.

I was considering the BMW - the thought was if the F 800 GS was going to be "THE" perfect bike, I'd get it instead of the versys. But, it wasn't. Didn't like the large front wheel - I am going to ride 99% on the road, and if I was to actually go offroading I'd be on a KLX or similar. Didn't feel the vibe at Barcelona motors either. And while it looks very nice, it didn't kill me (like the S1000RR...) In the USA, it would still make for tough competition to the Versys - at an approx. 120k baht more, more HP, BMW quality - I'd certainly consider it. At almost 2.7x price, no way. I could get a Versys, a Ninja, and a KLX for the same money... and I'd still have 100k left to pimp them all out!

Feb 5, 2007
I too would never have thought to buy a Kawi, however TIT and the other manufacturers offerings do not represent the same value for money of the Kawi. Service and repair costs also enter into the equation and you can bet the Kawi will be back on the road a week or two after a slide down the road at minimal cost, whereas the (enter your imported brand here) will be sitting in the shop for months while the insurance company tries to do it cheaper or not at all.

Haven ridden it for 700 Km now, it is a good all round bike, and I think will suit me well. Sure things could be better but it is a good rounded package, suitable for Thai roads, and seemingly sufficient power for the intended job. A touring bike it is not, but more of a UJM in modern guise.

Nov 9, 2010
Hi @Hoghead and all,
my first post on GTR but I have been following the waiting and deliberations re: the Versys (both here & elsewhere) for a couple of months now. I haven't collected my V yet but am hoping weather conditions (no more floods..) will allow me to do so in a few days time.
:thumbup:

I'm very interested in your initial impressions of the V. Especially, those areas you are less satisfied with. I suppose some of it will be because the bike is just deficient and others may be related to comparison with what you have ridden before. Could you provide some more details please'?

I agree with many folks opinions here. If I wasn't living in Thailand, I probably wouldn't have considered buying a V - despite the global accolades and better opportunities for price discounting. IMO it is currently the 'best new bike in this country at a realistic price'. However, if they hadn't revised the styling for 2010, I still wouldn't want one. It was 'too visually challenged' for my tastes - and that's being kind - but each to their own.

I've been waiting for other manufacturers (esp. KTM - I'd love a 990SM!) to get a dealership network in Thailand but 'no joy' thus far. For me having genuine dealer support is 'comforting'. Hence, more bonus points to Kawasaki. I've had a number of 'custom' bikes here in Thailand and I'm tired of the 'bodge it and scarper' style of servicing.

Best Regards

P

Nov 7, 2007
@ThePedroDB - oh yeah, the pre-2010 Versys was a fugly beast, for sure.

The design is now growing on me - the back is just awesome, and the front is starting to look better as I am getting more used to it.

My initial impression is I'd like 20 more HP. Other than that, perfect all around. In some ways exceeding all expectations. I am also going to get the best windshield I can find. I do recommend changing the tires, the Battlax are just glued to the road, and it makes everything so much better. Acceleration, turns, braking ... all better with better tires.

I've been looking into performance mods online but it seems not that easy. I don't want to do major surgery - that would kind of defeat the purpose of buying a new, problem-free bike. 3rd party exhausts add 2-3 HP. Not that exciting for 15,000+ Baht. I am now thinking maybe the PC5...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ThePedroDB wrote:

I've been waiting for other manufacturers (esp. KTM - I'd love a 990SM!) to get a dealership network in Thailand but 'no joy' thus far. For me having genuine dealer support is 'comforting'. Hence, more bonus points to Kawasaki. I've had a number of 'custom' bikes here in Thailand and I'm tired of the 'bodge it and scarper' style of servicing.

Best Regards

P

Re KTM look here
thai-dealer-ktm-press-release-t7022.html
and here
ktm-690-smc-has-landed-t8284.html

Nov 7, 2007
backdoorphil wrote: It looks like if you removed and changed front fender and added a 21" front wheel, it would make the Versys a great adventure bike.

wouldn't be too hard to do?
There was a picture of something like this (on a pre-2010 Versys) earlier in the thread:
635470880_CmJCe-O.jpg

bomawa

Oct 6, 2010
Hi all.
Was supposed to pick up my versys on Nov 12 at Kawa in BKK. Got an E-mail telling me to wait until Dec 15. Out of stock. I wonder how many of you that got the same E-mail.
/later

Nov 7, 2007
Maybe you could try other dealers - Chiang Mai, Kon Khaen... I am sure there's still Versyses available in Thailand...