Kawasaki ZX14R / ZZR1400 coming to Thailand in 2013!

Dec 27, 2007
The 2011 Suzuki Hayabusa isn't really in the same class as the 2012-2013 Kawasaki ZX14R.

Tech wise the 2011 Busa is a bit of a dinosaur.

The 2011 Suzuki Hayabusa doesn't have Traction Control, Launch Control or ABS...

And no offense to the Busa fans, but I've always found them to be just hideous...
120812-0000666.jpg

Red Baron imported a few 20120 ZX14R's and they sold in a flash. I seem to recall they were asking around 720k Baht for them. Kawasaki, Thailand's price seems a bit over the top...

Attached files
282995=12729-120812-0000666.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
skybluestu;283135 wrote: Looks like the 2013 Hayabusa has a few updates
AFAIK the only big change to the 2013 Busa is upgraded calipers and the addition of ABS. Bit shocking that it never had ABS before...

Jul 15, 2012
I know it is less hp but surely styling accounts for something. I would have to do with the ducati daivel @799k

Dec 13, 2009
Well...

I sold my S1000RR and went to Kawasaki Big Bike shop here at Pattaya, asking for details of the upcoming ZX14R. I asked if the Thailand version would be a "full power" export version or a detuned Japanese spec version. The sales guy told me that most likely the bike would be a seriously detuned Japanese spec bike, just like the old ZX10R.

What a bummer! I hope that this is not true! There is absolutely no idea of buying something like that and spending serious amount of money to bring the bike up to the level of power everyone else is having around the world. Most likely you will also lose the factory garantee by bringing up the power.

Has anyone else better information about this?

Jul 15, 2012
jusu777;284076 wrote: Well...

I sold my S1000RR and went to Kawasaki Big Bike shop here at Pattaya, asking for details of the upcoming ZX14R. I asked if the Thailand version would be a "full power" export version or a detuned Japanese spec version. The sales guy told me that most likely the bike would be a seriously detuned Japanese spec bike, just like the old ZX10R.

What a bummer! I hope that this is not true! There is absolutely no idea of buying something like that and spending serious amount of money to bring the bike up to the level of power everyone else is having around the world. Most likely you will also lose the factory garantee by bringing up the power.

Has anyone else better information about this?
interesting as they said the z1000 is full.power.

Dec 27, 2007
If I get one it will be a US Spec ZX14R from Red Baron. Full power and cheaper than Kawasaki, Thailand. Red Baron can't bring them in fast enough. Khun Vikrom says they should have a few more available in December.

ALL NEW 2012 ZX14R
150.jpg

150.jpg

150.jpg

150.jpg

150.jpg

เจ้าแห่งความเร็วบนท้องถนนที่พกแรงม้ามาแบบไม่เกรงใจใคร 2012 KAWASAKI ZX14R โฉมใหม่ที่ปรับปรุงระบบแอโร่ไดนามิกให้ควบคุมได้ง่ายขี้นและลดแรงต้านของ อากาศช่วยให้มันแหวกอากาศทำความเร็วด้วยอัตราเร่าที่จัดจ้านเอาชนะคู่ปรับ เก่าอย่างGSX1300Rไปแบบเฉียดฉิว เครื่องยนต์ปรับปรุงใหม่1441ซีซียืดช่วงชักไปอีก4มม. แรงม้าสูงสุดที่200ps/10000rpm และเพิ่มเป็น210psเมื่อระบบแรมแอร์ทำงาน สร้างอัตราเร่งที่รุนแรง ด้วยเวลา0-400เมตรที่ต่ำกว่า10วินาที(9.34) ส่งผ่านสลิปเปอร์ครัชที่ช่วยให้ควบคุมรถได้ง่ายขึ้น KTRCที่ช่วยไม่ให้ล้อหลังลื่นไถล และยังปรับการฉีดน้ำมันได้2ระดับเพื่อเลือกขี่ในแต่ละสถานะการณ์ แฟริ่งดีไซน์ใหม่ดูดุดันขึ้น เสริมการทรงตัวในความเร็วสูง เรือนไมล์ขนาดใหญ่แบบ2มาตรวัดและจอLCDขนาดใหญ่ที่แจ้งข้อมูลแบบละเอียดยิบ มองง่าย ใช้เดินทางก็สะดวกสบาย หรือจะซิ่งแบบแนวสปอร์ตก็ไม่น้อยหน้ารถสปอร์ตตัว1000ซีซี สนใจชมตัวจริงได้แล้ววันนี้ที่เรดบารอนกรุงเทพ อย่าช้านะครับ อยู่โชว์ตัวได้ไม่นาน เพราะมีคนหมายปองไว้แล้วค

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
Hi all,
Interesting about the rumours of reduced power for the Thai model and the US model being more powerful than the
EU/Japan spec bikes ,this is probably due to the new emission laws that Thailand also uses.
The Uk spec is normally same as Thailand and Kawa Uk posted the specs about the z1000 with prefixes of Ph/Mly/Th,Philipines/Malaysia/Thailand and it being the same power as Uk the Eu model was down 20 hp.
Have to wait and see when it's in the dealers.
In Kawa Dubai they have a Beutiful white one in the show room but was closed when I got there so couldn't get close.

This link to Kawa Japan is informative; http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/13_zx1400ef_e.html

Regards
Linds

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
Off the Kawa France site are these specs for the zzr14:
PERFORMANCES
Puissance maxi
78.2kW {106ch} / 8 500 tr/min
Couple maxi
120.1 Nm / 4 500 tr/min

And for the z1000 it's ;
PERFORMANCES
Puissance maxi
78.2 kW {106 cv} / 9,100 tr/mn
Couple maxi
95 Nm {9.7 kgf-m} / 7,500 tr/mn

Strangled to f€€€

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
TonyBKK;282934 wrote:
424205_303150549782694_795651219_n.jpg

The ZX14R is coming! Price higher than I'd hoped at 879k Baht. Still waiting for a straight answer as to whether it's full power or restricted.
Mr Tony,
I got this price in a mail 2 days ago'The retail price of 2013 Ninja ZX-14R is THB849',
&
'2013 Ninja ZX-14R
*Max Power 147.2kW/10000rpm (200PS)
*Max Torque 162.5N・m/7500rpm (16.6kgf・m)',
Expensive compared to rest of the world.
The only Iconic bike at a reasonable comparable £price is the Z1000.
What a dilemma ;)

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
And those interested '2013 Z1000
*Max Power 100kW/9000rpm (136PS)
*Max Torque 110N・m/7800rpm (11.2kgf・m)
Same price as advertised:)

Dec 27, 2007
Ajarn Ho took the mighty ZX14R for a few laps around Bonanza Circuit a couple weeks ago-
4d3b6399531204c7556db2dfd2d398b6_zps8154fc23.jpg

edd9965295cb16bd0afcc6bbee8f662a_zps0f609c88.jpg

He's a little dude, top rider, and the ZX14R is a big bike- I don't know what the heck is going on in this pic-
1bc06e3924b3c540096f5ad2154e82bb_zps628d6212.jpg

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
TonyBKK;285208 wrote: Dear Santa...
134241_312428002203812_527425372_o.jpg

santa+biker.gif
Tony,
Here's some more pictures from the bike at the expo taken on the Friday ,the man said to come back on Saturday for confirmed details so maybe someone else got more,but he told me that the Midnight Blue model here is going to be available here only(green model for show only is possible but I not ask about) and yes it is not restricted and will be available in new year for the ouch price of 8+k.
The bike looked Beautiful in this colour and looked well made and not flimsy plasticky not like some of the other bikes there.
Setting the rear suspension looks a little tight for big hands though.
Comfortable to sit with a nice angle legs/bars & back for us 6footers and with the mid age spread .
Nice touches with the Kawa emblem and the pillion seat cowel looks ment to be there and not just an addon.
Agree exhausts are massive but easy fixed.
Nice one for Santa's list indeed
Regards,
Now from Libya
Linds

Attached files
285287=13846-image.jpg
285287=13847-image.jpg
285287=13841-image.jpg
285287=13840-image.jpg
285287=13842-image.jpg
285287=13843-image.jpg
285287=13844-image.jpg
285287=13845-image.jpg

Dec 13, 2009
I've finalized my purchase project of a brand new ZX-14R, and what an adventure it was! First, I tried to buy one from the Kawasaki Big Bike showroom here in Pattaya. Only problem was that no one actually took me seriously. They had sold the black ABS-model that was in the showroom that time, and the sales guy could not tell me either the exact availability for another one, neither any information about the bike itself, other than they will order them from Japan and the bike would be "Japanese specs" version.

When I wanted to have some additional info, like what does the "Japanese specs" bike mean in the aspect of ex. engine power, there was no answer. It's a pity that Kawasaki has been so popular with their ER-6n and Ninja 650, coz it seems that their sales persons are now behaving more like cashiers only. I got the impression that the only thing they expect from the customer is, that a biker who walks in will shut up, effortlessly sign a sales contract and hand out some cash for the deposit.

Finally I went to Red Baron in BKK and bought a new 2012 model, which is a US spec bike with full power. Bike itself is truly magnificent piece of engineering and I'm totally happy with it. But serving as a reminder of the sloppy and quite unprofessional customer service attitude among the local bike dealers, that seemingly goes on with Red Baron too, happened when bike was delivered for the first 1000 km service: The owner's handbook/maintenance manual was not filled/signed and they did not change the oil filter. When I called them and pointed these things out, their only explanation was that "We forgot the service book and it is okay to ride with original oil filter until first 4000 kilometers".

I understand that people sometimes forget things, but as long as the manufacturer's own maintenance schedule (printed in the owner's manual) is showing that the filter should be changed in first 1000 km service, they should follow it.

When I reminded them about this fact, they promised to sort the mistake out and call me back. Maybe it is (not) a big surprise that they never did.

Jul 8, 2011
jusu777;288781 wrote: I've finalized my purchase project of a brand new ZX-14R, and what an adventure it was! First, I tried to buy one from the Kawasaki Big Bike showroom here in Pattaya. Only problem was that no one actually took me seriously. They had sold the black ABS-model that was in the showroom that time, and the sales guy could not tell me either the exact availability for another one, neither any information about the bike itself, other than they will order them from Japan and the bike would be "Japanese specs" version.

When I wanted to have some additional info, like what does the "Japanese specs" bike mean in the aspect of ex. engine power, there was no answer. It's a pity that Kawasaki has been so popular with their ER-6n and Ninja 650, coz it seems that their sales persons are now behaving more like cashiers only. I got the impression that the only thing they expect from the customer is, that a biker who walks in will shut up, effortlessly sign a sales contract and hand out some cash for the deposit.

Finally I went to Red Baron in BKK and bought a new 2012 model, which is a US spec bike with full power. Bike itself is truly magnificent piece of engineering and I'm totally happy with it. But serving as a reminder of the sloppy and quite unprofessional customer service attitude among the local bike dealers, that seemingly goes on with Red Baron too, happened when bike was delivered for the first 1000 km service: The owner's handbook/maintenance manual was not filled/signed and they did not change the oil filter. When I called them and pointed these things out, their only explanation was that "We forgot the service book and it is okay to ride with original oil filter until first 4000 kilometers".

I understand that people sometimes forget things, but as long as the manufacturer's own maintenance schedule (printed in the owner's manual) is showing that the filter should be changed in first 1000 km service, they should follow it.

When I reminded them about this fact, they promised to sort the mistake out and call me back. Maybe it is (not) a big surprise that they never did.
I know exactly how you feel. I have also walked out of Kawasaki (in my case Bangkok) and Red baron. They just didn't take me serious when I asked questions. Have to admit that the fact that their English was poor played a part. Was at Red Baron a few months ago and was serious about buying a Yamaha XT1200. I had to wait 10 min before somebody approached me and the guy couldn't speak English. He told me to wait a minute. 20 min later I was still waiting although K. Vikrom was sitting next door chatting with his people. Another customer who was waiting too told me that that was the boss and reading in here I assume it was K. Vikrom.

To be fair, I have heard many good things about Red Barron and K. Vikrom. It just didn't work out for me I guess.

Back to the topic. How is the ZX14R? Isn't it too fast for Thailand? Would you recommend this bike to others? You said you liked it but please share some thoughts with us (maybe +pic).

Nicky

Dec 13, 2009
Well, to be honest, there is not much that I wouldn't like about ZX14R. If I would have to describe this bike with only one word, that would be effortless. Everything it does, what ever that might be: power, acceleration or just cruising along, it does so easily.

ZX14R is replacing a BMW S1000RR in my garage. Everyone who loves fast & powerful bikes knows just how hard it would be to roll in and take that position. Saying: "BMW was good" is an understatement to it's fullest. S1000RR is spectacular, definitely the best bike I ever had before the ZX. Ironically, it's strength is also it's greatest weakness. S1000RR is made for track and to be so good as it is (in track day use), they really didn't make too many compromises for a street rider. The riding position is tight for an older guy, like me. What works on a race track, becomes pain during some endured street riding. That is why I sold it. I needed something that would have the speed, dynamics and handling of a supersport bike, but what would be nice and enjoyable to take for a long distance riding as well.

And this is where the ZX14R really excels. It feels just as fast, furious and exciting as the Beemer, but it delivers it's goodies with more relaxed way. The riding position with ZX is sporty, but it's far more forgiving on longer trips. I have a set of Vortex rear sets on their way to Thailand, to ease up things even little bit more (the original sets are bit too much forward).

On the road ZX behaves nicely: the longer wheelbase makes the bike very stable, without sacrificing too much of the cornering capabilities, the suspension is nicely set with the nature of this bike and with little additional fine tuning it balances the bike perfectly (definitely a light year ahead of my other bike here). The brakes are effective and they give good feedback as well (the US specs bikes come with no ABS).

If I compare ZX14R to the other bike in my garage, a Ducati Diavel, I must say that these bikes could not be further apart of each other. Diavel is an ultimate café racer; it's all about looks, sound & styling. Just like with those Italian shoes, you are willing to accept little amount of discomfort, as long as you look so damn good on it :) The suspension is very hard, even in it's softest settings. Sometimes it kicks my ass so hard! Ducati is like an Italian supermodel; demanding, edgy and moody, but there is still something that makes you want her. At least when it's sunny Sunday afternoon, and time to ride the beach boulevard with some friends...

The final thought. I know that many of you are thinking the same: ZX14R is too powerful, there is no need for a bike that produces over 200hp and torque massive enough to tow a camper wagon. And you are right. There is really no need for it. But it is just like driving a proper sports car: even there is no way you could fully enjoy a M5 or Corvette on a normal street traffic, it's comforting to know that the power will be there just in case you would need it.

59731_10151358275162732_1277472272_n.jpg

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for the excellent review jusu. And whether a bike has 120, 150 ,180 or even 218hp, it doesn't matter anymore, it's A LOT and it's the driver who has to control the power.

Yeah, nice to have the horses, just in case....

Be safe.

Dec 13, 2009
This bike got even better with just couple of little modifications: a Yoshimura R-77 slip on exhaust and Vortex 441K rear sets.

The only thing that I really dislike about ZX's appearance are those MASSIVE "boy racer" looking exhaust pipes. They weight a lot as well, so it was pretty obvious that they had to go. I have some good experiences with Yoshimura on my previous bikes, so my choice was their R-77 model, with carbon mufflers. As experienced before, Yoshi's are made with very high manufacturing standards, with perfect fit, so they were very easy to install. The "noise killer" inserts are included with the package and they can be installed in couple of minutes if needed. Good thing about Yoshi's inserts is the fact that you lose less than 3hp if you choose to use them. Now the bike has a low tone "growl" that I really like. It's an easy upgrade and because those catalytic converters are located in the original mufflers, it will give a nice torque and performance boost as well (although the bike hardly needs it anyway).

Adjustable Vortex sets brought my feet one centimeter lower and same amount aft wise, it may sound like a little move, but I could easily feel the difference; the riding position is even more relaxed now.

I'm highly recommending both of these modifications, they are definitely worth of the investment.

547377_10151420884732732_482651694_n.jpg

There is a nice exhaust system review/shootout, made by Super Street Bike.Com

When comparing the HP and torque figures please note that they used a previous generation ZX14R for the test.