Laos Border Crossings

Feb 24, 2014
Thanks for all the accurate information from you all. I hope this is a bit clearer by the end of the year as I hope to do a long awaited Lao bike trip in December.
There sure should be 4-5 of us so I might be able to do the group tour thing if required, but it's very restrictive if riders want to split away or come back earlier than others.
I would probably do the Chiang Khong crossing anyway as I love that little town...!
I guess the only other option would be bike rental in Lao, but that deflates a lot of the adventure...
I will be checking in here regularly.

Big_Dave

Ol'Timer
Apr 21, 2016
Malaysia
Crossed into Laos yesterday at Chiang Khong Huay Xai... However, I have a Lao friend who fixed things for me. Can confirm they're not allowing solo bikes to cross. Biggest hassle was the Thai side who wanted every original document associated with my Malaysian registered bike... Theft and smuggling of bikes and cars from Malaysia is rampant. . Other than that I was very fortunate to get in.

Reactions: DavidFL

Big_Dave

Ol'Timer
Apr 21, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks for all the accurate information from you all. I hope this is a bit clearer by the end of the year as I hope to do a long awaited Lao bike trip in December.
There sure should be 4-5 of us so I might be able to do the group tour thing if required, but it's very restrictive if riders want to split away or come back earlier than others.
I would probably do the Chiang Khong crossing anyway as I love that little town...!
I guess the only other option would be bike rental in Lao, but that deflates a lot of the adventure...
I will be checking in here regularly.
Once you're in you can do as you please mate. Nobody checks.

Reactions: Ashmaster

Big_Dave

Ol'Timer
Apr 21, 2016
Malaysia
Update, just got to Luang Namtha, met two Thai bikers who just crossed at HX. No issue. I hope it's just a case Lao customs just playing silly buggers rather than an indication of an impending intent to follow other border crossing policy.

Note: road to LN had a lot of damage, trees down and several land slides. Nothing to serious. The patch of twenty kilometers before LN town is broken up quite badly. Overall on a scale of one to Kasi it ranks a 5

Jimenator

Ol'Timer
Jul 5, 2016
Thailand
So now theres no bordercrossings Thai-Lao that allows a single thai-plated bikes into the country?

Not so much Thai plated but any foreign bike that crosses over from Thailand. 90%+ are Thai registered, the rest tend to be Malaysian or Singaporean. The latter two are just as much affected as Thai plates are, judging by the report from Big_Dave who rode a Malaysian bike (see the reply just above yours).

Jimenator

Ol'Timer
Jul 5, 2016
Thailand
Update, just got to Luang Namtha, met two Thai bikers who just crossed at HX. No issue. I hope it's just a case Lao customs just playing silly buggers rather than an indication of an impending intent to follow other border crossing policy.

Note: road to LN had a lot of damage, trees down and several land slides. Nothing to serious. The patch of twenty kilometers before LN town is broken up quite badly. Overall on a scale of one to Kasi it ranks a 5

Could also be because your bike is Malaysian, they don't see those every day. Hopefully they won't start cracking down more on Thai bikes at Huay Xai. However, as long as you don't cause trouble or have an accident and refuse to pay proper compensation, there is little reason for customs to change their policy. BUT as soon as one rider causes some sort of trouble, especially in the relevant province (like happened in Saiyabuli where all 3 border crossings there changed their policies simultaneously), things can change quite literally overnight. Therefore, stay safe all of you, don't ride too fast (the roads in Laos in general are winding, narrow and in dreadful condition anyway and are not suitable for racing), stick to the correct side of the road (right), make sure to purchase insurance and try not to get into an accident.

Jimenator

Ol'Timer
Jul 5, 2016
Thailand
David, thanks for the update. I'm afraid Vientiane is already far from BKK, let alone Chiang Khong so that effectively kills off my Laos trips for now.

The reasons cited are weak and in my opinion, preventing people from entering the country by motorcycle alone is not going to stop the issues they have mentioned.

To be frank, I can't help but see an ulterior motive in which the police and others have some form of interest in the motorcycle rental business and/or group tours.

I can only say it's a shame that in a time in which ASEAN is hyped in policies, member states lack any form of active implementation in actions.

Yes, that's what it is and explains Myanmar, Chinese, Vietnamese and now Thai policies governing the entry of foreign registered vehicles (other than those with which these countries share agreements with) requiring tours and guides for entry. Of course, accidents are a concern but probably this is just an excuse in most cases.

Big_Dave

Ol'Timer
Apr 21, 2016
Malaysia
Could also be because your bike is Malaysian, they don't see those every day. Hopefully they won't start cracking down more on Thai bikes at Huay Xai. However, as long as you don't cause trouble or have an accident and refuse to pay proper compensation, there is little reason for customs to change their policy. BUT as soon as one rider causes some sort of trouble, especially in the relevant province (like happened in Saiyabuli where all 3 border crossings there changed their policies simultaneously), things can change quite literally overnight. Therefore, stay safe all of you, don't ride too fast (the roads in Laos in general are winding, narrow and in dreadful condition anyway and are not suitable for racing), stick to the correct side of the road (right), make sure to purchase insurance and try not to get into an accident.

It's possible mate. Let's just hope that the Lao government comes to its senses and puts a consistent policy in place for foreign registered bikes.

I'll add also, this was my 27th ride into Thailand. I have NEVER had the 3rd degree on documentation etc from Thai customs like I did at CK. Thankfully I had everything in order but it was far and away more thorough than anything I've ever experienced .

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Not so much Thai plated but any foreign bike that crosses over from Thailand. 90%+ are Thai registered, the rest tend to be Malaysian or Singaporean. The latter two are just as much affected as Thai plates are, judging by the report from Big_Dave who rode a Malaysian bike (see the reply just above yours).

Ah - I forgot that Big Dave is riding a malaysian plated bike...my bad!

Great then that thai plated bike still get through, at Chiang Khong/Huay Xai at least.

Jimenator

Ol'Timer
Jul 5, 2016
Thailand
It's possible mate. Let's just hope that the Lao government comes to its senses and puts a consistent policy in place for foreign registered bikes.

I'll add also, this was my 27th ride into Thailand. I have NEVER had the 3rd degree on documentation etc from Thai customs like I did at CK. Thankfully I had everything in order but it was far and away more thorough than anything I've ever experienced .

That's probably because CK want to cover their asses in case something goes wrong on the Lao side. Nothing to do with Thai policies, but with Lao ones. Entering from Malaysia is as straightforward as always.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Two farang on rented bikes from Chiang Rai entered Laos at Houei Xai from Chiang Khong without any problems a few days ago.
Absolutely no trouble they said.

David, I've heard rumours of extra fees for a slip of paper to say you have a 'Guide' and at cost on the Laos Side. !?

I'd like to cross from CK to HX around the 10th Sept. On my Thai registered bike and it's in the system as I've been a few times. I'm heading to Savanakhet and would lke to exit at mukdahan if at all possible. What do you think my chances are ?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
David, I've heard rumours of extra fees for a slip of paper to say you have a 'Guide' and at cost on the Laos Side. !?

I'd like to cross from CK to HX around the 10th Sept. On my Thai registered bike and it's in the system as I've been a few times. I'm heading to Savanakhet and would lke to exit at mukdahan if at all possible. What do you think my chances are ?

If I understand correctly it should be no problem. Go.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
August 2018
A couple of weeks ago, a French guy Philippe Meunier, who has made multiple trips to Laos (maybe 20?); on his Thai plated Honda Wave scooter was refused entry at Houei Xai. He has entered at Houei Xai multiple times before, so the less than 250cc rule is being strictly enforced. Philippe was the first to ride across the Friendship Bridge at Houei Xai / Chiang Khong with me when it opened on 11.12.13.
4th Mekong Friendship Bridge Houei Xai - Chiang Khong Opening.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2010
August 2018
A couple of weeks ago, a French guy Philippe Meunier, who has made multiple trips to Laos (maybe 20?); on his Thai plated Honda Wave scooter was refused entry at Houei Xai. He has entered at Houei Xai multiple times before, so the less than 250cc rule is being strictly enforced. Philippe was the first to ride across the Friendship Bridge at Houei Xai / Chiang Khong with me when it opened on 11.12.13.
4th Mekong Friendship Bridge Houei Xai - Chiang Khong Opening.
Cheers David
As Eric says, Big Brother is watching you. Did you set up a webcam at the Chiang Khong bridge? How did you get to know that I was refused on August 09th? That's true. The weather forecasts did not encourage me to drive all around to try and enter in Vientiane. So I gave up.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Cheers David
As Eric says, Big Brother is watching you. Did you set up a webcam at the Chiang Khong bridge? How did you get to know that I was refused on August 09th? That's true. The weather forecasts did not encourage me to drive all around to try and enter in Vientiane. So I gave up.

Gday Philippe, good to see you watching here. You could say a little French bird whispered in my ear a couple of weeks ago that you had some trouble. I would have felt gutted if it was me, you & I both have had so many rides in Laos and to be denied after all these times hurts. At least that is how I felt at Vang Tao a few months ago when I tried unsuccessfully. Its deeply disturbing, and for me I'm extremely grateful that Houei Xai is still open as normal. Good luck and hope to see you again sometime. I'm in Chiang Mai at the end of the month, so maybe we can hook up for a coffee.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2014
I've been following all this closely, and hope the situation stays open at Chiang Khong for the foreseeable future.

I'm planning a trip into Lao in December. Originally I intended to do a loop through Luang Prabang, entering Lao at Chiang Khong / Houei Xai and exiting at Muang Ngeun / Houai Khon.

From what I've read recently though this latter border crossing seems to be completely closed.

I'd really be interested if anyone has recent info on the border at Muang Nguen/Houai Khon...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I've been following all this closely, and hope the situation stays open at Chiang Khong for the foreseeable future.

I'm planning a trip into Lao in December. Originally I intended to do a loop through Luang Prabang, entering Lao at Chiang Khong / Houei Xai and exiting at Muang Ngeun / Houai Khon.

From what I've read recently though this latter border crossing seems to be completely closed.

I'd really be interested if anyone has recent info on the border at Muang Nguen/Houai Khon...

You can exit at Muang Ngeun. Entry is only via tour company. I'm unsure if they are enforcing the minimum 5 bike caravan policy.

Feb 24, 2014
Many Thanks David.
I only plan on exiting via that route, so hopefully that will be fine.
I’ll be entering via Chiang Khong / Houei Xai, so I’m hoping that will be ok still.
We will be a small group, probably four of us, so I’ll ask our mutual friend Mark if he can help out if it seems we need a tour company involvement.
I shall continue to watch border events closely...

Nov 13, 2012
Entered Lao yesterday at Ubon<->Pakse border with thai plate.
Thai side expected that i would be refused entry and asked me some extra money to undo my exit in case i have to come back, not sure what that was exactly, seemed semi-official (200 bath).
Lao side i first got an insurance and the nice lady told me (after i paid of cause) that normally i won't be able to get in but some bribe might fix it.
Went to customs and indeed the girl in charge said i can't enter (something about tour group...). I insisted i can and showed her my carnet, together with a bit of lao sweet talk and two other officers involved they started doing the papers. They did not stamp the carnet so i guess as always it's more about the mood and willingness of the official in charge, they were all very friendly.

Without the carnet i'm not sure how this would have went.
I have a carnet for other upcoming trips (Japan...), I understand it's not something you would usually want to get to simply travel the neighborhood.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Entered Lao yesterday at Ubon<->Pakse border with thai plate.
Thai side expected that i would be refused entry and asked me some extra money to undo my exit in case i have to come back, not sure what that was exactly, seemed semi-official (200 bath).
Lao side i first got an insurance and the nice lady told me (after i paid of cause) that normally i won't be able to get in but some bribe might fix it.
Went to customs and indeed the girl in charge said i can't enter (something about tour group...). I insisted i can and showed her my carnet, together with a bit of lao sweet talk and two other officers involved they started doing the papers. They did not stamp the carnet so i guess as always it's more about the mood and willingness of the official in charge, they were all very friendly.

Without the carnet i'm not sure how this would have went.
I have a carnet for other upcoming trips (Japan...), I understand it's not something you would usually want to get to simply travel the neighborhood.

Great to know, thanks for sharing.
Another thing I would like to know if you want to share - is where did you get a Carnet for a thai plated bike?

Nov 13, 2012
Great to know, thanks for sharing.
Another thing I would like to know if you want to share - is where did you get a Carnet for a thai plated bike?

I got mine from Switzerland but clubs in most European countries would issue one if your country doesn't provide it. The deals are all very different so it's worth to compare. I had to deposit 3000€ for my new CRF. One year carnet cost me around 300$ if i remember correctly.

Malaysia used to do it and rumor has it they still do it's just a bit painful at times.

Usually all can be done online.

I should mention that it's not big business for the clubs in Europe and they do it more as a favour to us who can't get it, so nobody should see it as given that they do it. (Be nice :))

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Update 13 October - Nakhon Phanom / Tha Khek.

Two expat riders from Bangkok on Thai plated bikes exited Thailand at Nakhon Phanom, riding across the bridge, into Laos at Tha Khek.
They said no questions were asked, the crossing & paperwork could not have been easier on both sides.
They rode north and exited Laos at Houei Xai / Chiang Khong today.

TQ Neil for the info & update.