Laos Friendship Bridge No Entry

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by filip-gsa, Feb 10, 2006.

1. colesyboy

colesyboy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, about 10 days ago I tried crossing the friendship bride (foreign bike) from Nong Khai into Vietaianne. No joy. Thai immigration / customs boss man said Laos imposed the restriction last week....something he said that has always been the law but not really enforced....

Anyway, we met a guy that crossed after us ....no probs, he showed his carnet and suspected that its the paperwork they dont like doing...maybe so, maybe not.

Cheers

Brian

2. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0

3. Carrol

Carrol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi - we are planning on driving from Cambodia to Laos in our jeep - Cambodian built and registered. We have Cambodian drivers'licenses though I am Canadian and my husband New Zealand. I'm still not square on what exactly we need (after visiting the Laos Embassy and Thai Embassy who both shrugged and said just drive there, what is the problem). We'd prefer to go up through Anlong Vieng through Thailand to Nong Khi/Vientiane). Any info and/or help would be great!

4. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0

5. Carrol

Carrol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Davidfl,

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate a lot of that info is scattered through the postings but the way you pulled it together makes more sense. I'm starting to feel calmer about this all and looking forward to the adventure.

Again thanks, Ciao for now, Carrol

6. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0

7. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0
  8. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE 3RD FEB 2008
    Entry into Laos via either of the Friendship Bridges
    1. Nong Khai - "Vientiane"
    2. Mukdahan - Savannakhet
    is still not possible.
    Exit from Laos via the Nong Khai Friendship bridge was still ok in Feb 2008.

The new "all borders closed" warning in
    https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... html#18618
    does not appear to true & other border crossings are still ok.

9. beddhist

beddhist Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I take it that the situation at Friendship Bridge 1 hasn't changed? I need to go for a visa run next week.

The nearest border crossing is at Thakaek, then? Or is there another one closer to Vientiane?

I'm glad to hear that the borders haven't been closed to bikes. Let's hope it stays that way.

10. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0
  11. beddhist

beddhist Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0
    Aha. You got me. That needs updating. I'm onto it. Many thanks.

13. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0
  14. beddhist

beddhist Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another correction for your map: Friendship Bridge 2 is closed for bikes in BOTH directions.

15. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0
    Disagree, didn't you exit Laos from here - ride across the bridge?

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t3268.html

Confirmed
    http://beddhist.googlepages.com/lao4
    In practice I think they will let you out everytime, despite the policy.

16. beddhist

beddhist Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but the day before the man wasn't there and I don't think I would have been able to cross, had I wanted to. I suspected at the time that it won't work all the time and there is a US couple here in Mae Sot who rode a Minsak from Vietnam to here. They had several attempts at getting across, but were unsuccessful in the end. However, to more or less complete the info I also have to mention that their Lao documentation somehow wasn't in order and the head of customs made a big fuss over it and sent them to Friendship Bridge 1, where the paperwork could be corrected.

My vote is for marking the crossing as closed in both directions, which it officially is. Had I known about it at the time I would have stayed in Vientiane to get my Thai visa and crossed there.

17. beddhist

beddhist Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [blank message due to error msg: no post mode specified]

18. bonnyboy

bonnyboy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I crossed the border from Nakhon Phanon to Tha Khek today (28th October 2008), and thought Id share my experience.Getting through the Thai side only took a matter of minutes.I got my passport stamped, and handed over my temporary import certificate (my Triumph Bonny is UK registered).The fun started with getting on the ferry( more of a floating platform with a tug by its side).At the bottom of the ramp is a thick pile of mud, churned up by countless large trucks, watered by the Mekong, and mashed by the platform everytime its lowered.I negotiated this and made my way to the end of the deck.They only managed to get my bike and three artics on board.The platform doesnt sit very high above the water, so I doubt if they would have got another truck on.I asked before I got on about a ticket to cross, only to be met with blank stares from the thai customs.I found out soon enough how much it was going to cost.Halfway across the river I was tapped up for 200baht.This seemed like a figure drawn out of thin air,but I had no choice but to pay it.When I handed over the money there were howls of laughter from all round, so I guess the farang got ripped off again.Getting off the ferry was more stressful than getting on.After the trucks had got off it was my turn.The platform doesnt sit flush with the ramp, and the addition of a foot high wall which the platform sat on didnt help.There was a drop of about a foot and a half from the end of the platform into the river, before you made contact with the ramp.I gingerly lowered my front wheel into the water, only to see it going deeper and deeper into it.It finally hit the ramp, and it was then a matter of edging forward till the back wheel was on the edge.Then i opened the throttle and hoped for the best.Amazingly I kept the bike up and road throught the water and up the ramp.My heart was pounding, but I got some appreciative waves from a small crowd that had gathered to watch the spectacle.It was then into Laos immigration and customs to get my paper work sorted.After paying for and getting my visa, I showed them my carnet.I was asked to pay 43000kip for a reciept for the bike, then headed over to customs to get the bike sorted.It took about 45 minute to get my temporary import certificate, and was asked for another 30000 kip for "paperwork".I ignored this request for more money, and they didnt mention it again.Its nice being back in friendly Laos, although I dont think they see many fully loaded Triumph Bonnevilles down this part of the world, judging by how many people stop and stare as i ride by.

19. Pikey

Pikey www.tbbtours.com

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good for you mate, especially negotiating the ferry! Here's a pic of me travelling light in N.Laos a couple of weeks ago and sure, all big bikes attract attention over there.

PA08012700.

Would be great to see a pic of your bike all kitted out for your trip.

Cheers,

Pikey.

20. bonnyboy

bonnyboy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pikey.if you go to my website http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... erms=DR650 I think there is one on there , if not I'll attempt to post one on this forum.Hit my first patch of dirt road today.I missed a turning out of Pakse heading for Tadlo falls.On the map there was a road further that connected the 16 with the 20.It was only when i got there I saw it was about 20ks of dirt, albeit dry and hard, but still rutted and lumpy.Riding in Turkey,Pakisatn and India stood me in good stead for riding poor roads, so it wasnt too bad.Heading off down to 4000 isalnds in a few days, then back up to Thailand.

21. racingter

racingter Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greeting to all bros here,i am from singapore and i am very interested in this forum,next year i will be riding from singapore up to laos and i am quite confused by the "bike banned border crossing situation"...read thru the 5 pages and after 2 years the outcome is still abit...?Any Bros here can advise me on which border allows bikes to pass on...hehe,Do not wanna stuck in a situation that they say..."Uh sorry Bikes cant get through".

regards,
    racingter

22. racingter

racingter Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmmmm...anyone?

23. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,116 / 0 / -0
    ENTERING LAOS WITH A BIKE
    https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-laos-c ... sings.html

Thailand / Laos the seven legal ones are:
    1. Chiang Khong (T) / Huay Sai (L) OK
    2. Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L), the 2nd Friendship Bridge. This over the Nam Heung river. OK?
    3. Nong Khai (T) / Friendship Bridge, Vientiane (L) No Laos Entry
    4. Bung Kan (T) / Pakxan (L) OK
    5. Mukdahan (T) / Savannakhet (L), the 3rd Friendship Bridge. This one over the Mekong river. No Laos entry.
    6. Nakhon Phanom (T) / Tha Khek (L) OK.
    7. Chong Mek (T) / Vang Tao, Pakse (L) OK.

ENTERING / DEPARTING LAOS NOTES

1. Friendship Bridges: may or may not be open to bikes. After several years open to motorcycles, Lao authorities in Vientiane "closed" the 1st bridge "Nong Khai / Vte" to motorcycles without warning in Feb 2005. Watch the GT Rider message board for the latest info on this crossing.
    If it is NOT open to motorcycles then try Bung Kan (120 kms downstream from Nong Khai) / Pakxan (150 kms downstream from Vientiane.) where in December 2006 it was still possible to enter Laos. Note too that if you gain entry to Laos at another border crossing it is possible to leave via the Friendship Bridge. Weird isn't it! The same applies to the 3rd Friendship Bridge at Savannakhet / Mukdahan.

2. The 2nd Friendship Bridge at Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L), the 2nd Friendship Bridge, over the Nam Heung river (not the Mekong.) Supposedly FULL international in Dec 2008 with visa on arrival, but not sure about temporary import on arrival (will someone pls give it a go.)

3. The 3rd Friendship bridge at Savanakhet (L) / Mukdahan (T) across the Mekong. No entry to Laos for motorbikes. Try either Tha Khek (L) /Nakhon Phanom upstream, or Vang Tao (L) / Chong Mek (T) further south (Pakxe /Ubon Ratchathani).

24. racingter

racingter Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ENTERING LAOS WITH A BIKE
    https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-laos-c ... sings.html

Thailand / Laos the seven legal ones are:
    1. Chiang Khong (T) / Huay Sai (L) OK
    2. Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L), the 2nd Friendship Bridge. This over the Nam Heung river. OK?
    3. Nong Khai (T) / Friendship Bridge, Vientiane (L) No Laos Entry
    4. Bung Kan (T) / Pakxan (L) OK
    5. Mukdahan (T) / Savannakhet (L), the 3rd Friendship Bridge. This one over the Mekong river. No Laos entry.
    6. Nakhon Phanom (T) / Tha Khek (L) OK.
    7. Chong Mek (T) / Vang Tao, Pakse (L) OK.

ENTERING / DEPARTING LAOS NOTES

1. Friendship Bridges: may or may not be open to bikes. After several years open to motorcycles, Lao authorities in Vientiane "closed" the 1st bridge "Nong Khai / Vte" to motorcycles without warning in Feb 2005. Watch the GT Rider message board for the latest info on this crossing.
    If it is NOT open to motorcycles then try Bung Kan (120 kms downstream from Nong Khai) / Pakxan (150 kms downstream from Vientiane.) where in December 2006 it was still possible to enter Laos. Note too that if you gain entry to Laos at another border crossing it is possible to leave via the Friendship Bridge. Weird isn't it! The same applies to the 3rd Friendship Bridge at Savannakhet / Mukdahan.

2. The 2nd Friendship Bridge at Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L), the 2nd Friendship Bridge, over the Nam Heung river (not the Mekong.) Supposedly FULL international in Dec 2008 with visa on arrival, but not sure about temporary import on arrival (will someone pls give it a go.)

3. The 3rd Friendship bridge at Savanakhet (L) / Mukdahan (T) across the Mekong. No entry to Laos for motorbikes. Try either Tha Khek (L) /Nakhon Phanom upstream, or Vang Tao (L) / Chong Mek (T) further south (Pakxe /Ubon Ratchathani).
    Thankyou Davidfi for ur valuabe advice... :D Information Noted

25. racingter

racingter Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    chiang Khong (T) / Huay Sai (L)

Do the Huay Sai have "VOA"?