Legal driver license in Cambodia

Nov 21, 2010
OK here it goes .... a stupid question for someone who has been riding in Cambodia for 2 weeks.

I had my Thai DL and my IDP with me, but as I understand the Thai IDP is actually not valid (as Cambodia never signed the international IDP treaty).
And of course the Thai DL is also not valid in Cambodia? Actually should be starting in 2015 hahaha but that is another story.

So as I do understand you actually need to have a Cambodian DL. But as I understand as of Feb 2013 you need to have a DL with photo and that is only to get if you have an "Residence Certificate" and that is only to get if you have a "Business Visa". To me that seems that tourists can actually NEVER legally ride a car or motorbike in Cambodia.

Am I right or not? Does anyone has other information?

Mar 30, 2010
Changnoi1;293155 wrote: Tony that was what I also thought and even my Thai IDP says it is valid for Cambodia but ......
http://www.adcidl.com/Driving-in-Cambodia.html
And even some Cambodian rental companies tell you that you need a Cambodian DL.
But maybe that is just a way of making some money?
For you to ride in Cambo your Thai licence is valid. Both ASEAN member countries.

May be as you say.. They want to milk money.. or could be restrictions by the insurance company.
Who knows.. just like here.. there is no rhyme or reason for some things that just don't make sense.

But if your own bike you are fine..
To be honest. Licence is the least of your concerns.. My concern in Cambo has no bike insurance at the border..
If you wipe someone out.. You are on your own to sort it out.. Mr Rich Farang..

Cheers
Brian

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
My point too. No insurance at the border. I asked for it, but they said "no need".
And we all know what that means.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Nine South/east Asian countries have made an agreement to use each others D.L. in their respective countries.
So I thinks its another Laos government money collection scam.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Also need to consider whether the reciprocal agreements between Asean countries extend to riders license or only car license...

Jan 21, 2011
We had this same problem when we were in Cambodia. Our group was stopped at a police check point near Sihanoukville. The cops said that our Malaysian DL were not valid. After some discussions, we told them that we will contact the Malaysian embassy in Cambodia. Only then did the cops make a phone call to their superiors and let us through. They obviouly wanted milk money as 2 other foreign riders passed by, was stopped, fed the cops and were let go.

Dec 23, 2007
TonyBKK;293152 wrote: A DL issued in any ASEAN country is valid throughout ASEAN.

IN reality yes in Camboida No
getting a business visa ( now called Ordinary) visa is merely paying $25 instead of $20
then take ur Thai license to lucky lucky motorcycle on Monivong an they will sort u out

SR and snooky go thru phrases where the tuk tuks and motos get upset that there losing business so they stop allowing tourists to rent bikes.

if u are stopped without a license fine is 5000 riels or a couple of $$

Mar 30, 2010
http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/thailand-driving-licence-valid-throughout-asean/

Thailand driving licence valid throughout ASEAN
Posted by pattayatoday on Dec 4th, 2012 and filed under LATEST EDITION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.
Anyone holding a valid Thai driving licence can now use it in nine other countries without the need to obtain an international permit. These countries are Mynamar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and the Philippines which, together with Thailand, make up the 10 country ASEAN economic grouping.

Kosin Weerananthanaphan is new head of Banglamung Transportation Authority
Citizens of these countries, together with foreign nationals holding a driving permit issued by any member state, are now able to drive in all member countries for as long as the licence is valid. Thailand issues separate licences to drive cars and motorbikes so Thais and foreigners need to have the appropriate permit for the category of vehicle they intend to drive abroad. For those who prefer, international licences can still be used for driving in Thailand and throughout ASEAN.
Kosin Weeranthanaphan, new head of the Banglamung transportation authority which is situated behind the International School of the Regents, said, “Both foreigners and Thais can take advantage of this move by the ASEAN countries to simplify day-to-day procedures. From 2015 China, South Korea and Japan will be added to the list of countries where a driver’s licence issued in an ASEAN country can be used.”
The transportation head also reminded foreign applicants of the documents needed to obtain a Thai driving licence – original passport and valid visa + photocopy, two photographs, a recent certificate of residence issued by the Immigration Bureau and a doctor’s certificate not more than one month old. Applicants also receive information on current traffic regulations in Thailand and take a competency examination currently available in Thai, English, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic. Successful candidates receive their driving licence(s) on the day of application.
Kosin warned foreigners not to believe agents who claim to be able to obtain Thai driving licences without the applicant showing up. “All driving licences are issued only to the applicant in person who pays the appropriate fees at the transportation office’s service counter”. He added that the use of driving licences beyond national borders was one example of the 10 ASEAN countries preparing to open a free-trade area and implementing policies to remove tariffs from December 31, 2015.

Though this is not correct for Vietnam (yet)

http://www.vietnam.embassy.gov.au/hnoi/Driving_in_Vietnam.html

Vietnamese driving licences are mandatory for all drivers of motor vehicles as well as for riders of motorcycles with a capacity of over 50cc. Non-Vietnamese citizens are only permitted to drive in Vietnam if they hold a temporary Vietnamese driver's licence.

To convert an Australian driving licence or an International Driving Permit into a temporary Vietnamese driver's licence, the applicant must first hold a valid Vietnamese residence permit of at least three month's validity and a current Australian driving licence or a valid International Driving Permit. In Hanoi, applications for temporary driver's licences should be directed to the Office of Traffic & Public Works, 16 Cao Ba Quat Street . In Ho Chi Minh City, applications should be directed to the Office of Transportation, 63 Ly Tu Trong Street, District 1 - Telephone 3822 3760 . In provincial areas, travellers should consult local police authorities to determine exactly what action is required to obtain a temporary driving licence in the province where the applicant resides.

To apply for a Vietnamese driving licence (either to drive a motor vehicle or a motorbike) in Hanoi , the applicant should contact the Centre for Automotive Training and Mechanism, 83A Ly Thuong Kiet Street – Telephone 3942 2715. In Ho Chi Minh City , applications should be lodged with the Office of Transportation, 63 Ly Tu Trong Street, District 1 – Telephone 3822 3760.

Rookie

Jan 18, 2011
Changnoi1;293151 wrote: OK here it goes .... a stupid question for someone who has been riding in Cambodia for 2 weeks.

I had my Thai DL and my IDP with me, but as I understand the Thai IDP is actually not valid (as Cambodia never signed the international IDP treaty).
And of course the Thai DL is also not valid in Cambodia? Actually should be starting in 2015 hahaha but that is anotherstory.

as I do understand you actually need to have a Cambodian DL. But as I understand as of Feb 2013 you need to have a DL with photo and that is only to get if you have an "Residence Certificate" and that is only to get if you have a "Business Visa". To me that seems that tourists can actually NEVER legally ride a car or motorbike in Cambodia.

Am I right or not? Does anyone has other information?

if you look at your IDP list of countries listed in the middle page and Tourist required to carry IDP if they wish to drive out side of their countries

That's what I have IDP from Canada and used in Thailland and in Cambodia last 10 years except US wants regular driver license

I was pulled over every year in Cambodia (riding thai registered motorbike) never had any problem over DL , IDP maybe speaking Khmer is helps a lot.