Lights & Lighting

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
The same in Lampang - would barely accept the extra fog lights I have on the Crf. Told me next time - I would have to remove them before coming to inspection….
The lights have their own switch.

Reactions: Ian Bungy

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The same in Lampang - would barely accept the extra fog lights I have on the Crf. Told me next time - I would have to remove them before coming to inspection….
The lights have their own switch.

Yes there has been a recent re-confirmation of policy change about extra lights being fitted.

We are also cooperating with police nationwide to randomly inspect vehicles at selected checkpoints. Officials can immediately take charges against the drivers if their vehicles are found with modified headlights or taillights.”

It was first announced in January 2020?

Whilst they talk about cars, bikes are caught up in it as well it seems.
If you're bike is under 5 years old, you don't need an inspection, but from year 5 it needs to be inspected.
I'm in year 5 next year.
It has been suggested to me that if you have the extra lights covered, you maybe ok.......a nice Thai solution?

According to the Nation, the DLT’s regulations specify that all vehicles must install a maximum of two front headlamps. Providing lower angle beams, and a maximum of two front lamps providing far-reaching beams.

The lamp lights must be white or light yellow and installed at the same level both left and right. At least 40cm above the road level but not exceeding 135cm.

Even more indicator lights must be bright yellow and capable of blinking; they must be installed in pairs at the front and 2-4 lights at the back. Brake lights must be red and not blinking, installed in pairs or 4 lights at the back. The light illuminating the license plate must be white and must help make the plate readable in the dark.

An image of car requirements from the DLT.
1639653199297.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ian Bungy

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
On the way back from a ride to Phayao this arvo, I popped into the private vehicle inspection centre opposite the Thoeng DLT where I do my bike rego.
My yellow running lights were on as I rode in, so the spots were obvious. I pointed out the other lights that were turned off.
The guy running the place insisted the spots on my bike were not a problem & he would approve a vehicle inspection no problem.
Oddly enough he said you would fail if you had any spots or modifications to the tail light or lighting at the rear of the bike.

As you can do a bike rego renewal anywhere, if you're concerned about getting your bike passed you could try this vehicle inspection centre @ Thoeng.

Reactions: Dodraugen

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
None of my bikes have been to the DLT since I had the books changed to list the new owner - ME !
Always use inspection centers - always no problem.

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
If you travel around Thailand you pass through numerous Police stops and rarely even get stopped, usually waved through, on my Isaan ride a few weeks we got waved through probably 8 to 10 stops, and this is in a group of 8 bikes all with extra lighting :eek:

One stop on hwy 12 was a speed trap and I had been clocked @ $1.30 so was fined 500baht, funny enough I was a bit further back of the group and all of them were waved through, I imagine it was difficult to identify so many bikes, all with extra lights in the same photo ;)

In the photographic evidence I was asked if this was me, hard to argue because it was, and the photo showed my extra lighting, very bright 4 lights, 2 x white and 2 x yellow ;)

Often when I ride long distances by myself, I choose to have the flashing light option turned on, for my own safety, not so much on dual carriageways with a median strip though ;)

Lets hope this rumour just passes and gets forgotten, extra lighting should be standard on motorcycles for our safety IMO :cool:

Reactions: Oddvar and Ughetto

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I had the AT at Mr Kong yesterday. The Loboo lights were dead.
In less than an hour he had the bike stripped down and found some melted cables under the rear seat?
He replaced those cables and tidied up the cables around the battery.
Picked it up this morning and all he asked for was a 1000 bath.
The Valkyrie is going next. Highly recommended.

Reactions: DavidFL

scotty007

Subscribed
Feb 23, 2004
It is a directive in CNX, no more add on spotties when doing the 5 years plus check, I wired my new bike up to make them switchable and easy to remove.

I was stopped and told of by the police twice on the same day for the laser beam sharpness off my lights 555

Reactions: Oddvar and DavidFL