Lights & Lighting

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Lights & more lights for night riding...

Not 100% happy with what I've got on the Vstrom now, I've been researching for some more power to hopefully light up the night sky ++

Denali seem to have the best reputation, but oh man do you ever pay over the top for those lights.
The best option I found was Baja Design Lights from Canada

Baja Designs

And then I stumbled across Mach1 lights Thailand
MACH1 Lights Co.,Ltd.

With a shop - Adventure Heaven - in Chiang Rai. Woo-hoo!
upload_2019-10-17_22-1-18.png

Owned by a smart educated Thai guy, Khun Tee, who rides a BMW 1200GS & graduated in mechanical engineering, and has a masters in construction management. He works one week in Bangkok & one week off in Chiang Rai.

So you need to make an appointment to meet him. I made an appointment & rode over from Chiang Khong.

We didn't get off to a good start
upload_2019-10-18_8-12-45.png

but once he had finished his somtam down the road we had a brilliant conversation.

I only wanted to check out the spec of his lights & see if the lenses were cut properly & compare them to the Baja Design.

No problem, out came some Baja Design Lights & a spec sheet with prices.
1619369099909.png

I was blown away. Here was a man who genuinely knows his stuff.
He also has his own brand Mach1 lights

1619369144929.png

The specs are a bit similar, but I'm pretty hooked on the Baja Design lights.

The set I want
GTR-DSC_0017.JPG

40W Leds @ 9,500 baht.

That is superior to the crappy 12-16W Chinese Leds available locally.
I want the real deal. - blinding light to ride safely at night.

Now to sell the D-tracker.....

At the moment Mach 1 lights are located here Google Maps

But Tee will soon be moving closer to town at his family house.
He is only in Chiang Rai one week at a time & then a week in Bangkok @ work.
So you need to confirm an appointment.
Facebook contact: MACH1 Lights Co.,Ltd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eoin Christie

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Tried to open attachments - error message
Win 10 running Firefox.
All updates up-to-date

Reactions: DavidFL

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Thanks David. The ones you like seem a very good price.
Picture seems to show 2 LED Hi beam pencil beamand 2 LED diffuser low beam
Is this correct ?

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Sent Message via FB to see if he will send via EMS. Mentioned I saw your post on GT Rider, so any kickbacks gratefully appreciated !!! 555

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks David. The ones you like seem a very good price.
Picture seems to show 2 LED Hi beam pencil beamand 2 LED diffuser low beam
Is this correct ?

Yes I believe so. That's the beauty of the Baja Design lights.

upload_2019-10-18_9-41-14.png

Some Baja Design options.
1. Baja Designs

2. Baja Designs

He also had some bigger 50W Baja Design light kits, but that was way above my budget.

I reckon he can get anything from Baja & fit it for you easily, but he also has his own Mach1 lights.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Excellent service. Received them in 3 days.
I have them up for sale - can not fit them where I would like them, so once I sell these I will shop for some smaller ones.
Ad in parts for sale

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I've opted for the Baja Design 20W Led Squadron Sport lights for 12,900 baht.
Decided to pass on the Chinese Goldrunway lights.
BTW the Mach1 50W Led spotlight are 20,000 baht.
I sincerely hope I get my moneys worth with the Baja Design lights.
I've grown weary of Chinese products not really delivering the quality advertised or not lasting.

upload_2019-12-2_13-36-19-png.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian Bungy

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

A bit of a comparison for those who maybe interested.
Coming home from a Mekong Pizza night @ the GT, riding on R1290, Paradise road.

East of Kiu Khan & looking down towards the Mekong

With LoBoo high beam only
upload_2020-7-1_0-50-0.png

With the Loboo high beam + Mach1 High Beam on together
upload_2020-7-1_0-51-4.png

Plenty of good light to still ride at a decent pace.

Further long, ascending the big hill after the Paradise Road sign, en route to the View Coffee
upload_2020-7-1_0-52-43.png

Loboo lights - high beam only

Loboo High Beam + Mach1 High Beam
upload_2020-7-1_0-53-37.png

Mach 1 High beam only. No Loboo
upload_2020-7-1_0-54-12.png

The visibility could actually be increased if did not use the yellow filter on the Loboo, but used both white lights.
However I have a strong fancy for the yellow filter because it is much easier to be seen in the day, it gets used all the time & left on at night. I have not yet felt the need to run the white lens when I have the Mach1 lights on, but maybe on a long night ride that will change.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZCM

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
See also

Reactions: ZCM

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Update testing lights at night

1 centre yellow running light for day time use around.
1639056605154.png

1639056760516.png

This single light is from the 1st set of Loboos I bought via Steve Prince, but after 50,000 kms 1 control box failed (no complaints after 50,000 kms), so I ended up with 2 working lights.
I had thought of selling them, but realized I would not get much for them, so decided to keep them & put one on the front centre for day time, a running light for use around town; & so now have a spare back up light.

Then for day time running lights on tour, out of town I bought a set of 60W Crees @ 1200 baht.

1639057684424.png

These are placed low down, where the original yellow Loboos where.
1639057234322.png

At 60W they are too bright for use around town, but will certainly get you noticed out on tour.
I'm a fan of yellow running lights, as they are more obvious, stand out more when there are so many vehicles - bikes & cars - with white running lights on the road. Yellow is the way to go.

1639057249687.png

These spots also have yellow lens can also be removed to have a bright white light.
However I don't feel I need to do that with the other spotlights I have on the bike.

So the real deal spotlights = Loboo.
Both the white sets I bought from Jamie at JJ Enginering.
I had some trouble with these lights in the wet season with water ingress, but Jamie saw that the warranty was honoured & the lights replaced (1 set) & repaired (1 set). Nice work Jamie, your efforts were much appreciated - excellent work.

The question was where to mount the 2 sets?
I had 1 spot already mounted mid level.

1639061805759.png

Where to put the other - as high as possible. Kong came up with a perfect solution, with the result the set was piggy-backed onto the original Baja Design bracket, with the Baja Design lights.
1639059025169.png

The Loboo spotlights have 3 levels
Low - 10 Watts / 800 Lumens
Medium - 36 Watts / 4000 Lumens
High - 76 Watts / 8000 Lumens

With the all spotlights all on low
1639059573073.png

1639059706831.png

With all spotlights on high.
1639060010236.png

1639059910104.png

Blinding light, & exactly what I was seeking for safe riding at night.

A couple of poor shots out on the road, facing up an incline.
I need to go back out a 2nd time with a riding shot, after I get my rebuilt Ohlins reinstalled early next week.
Some readjusting of the spotlights maybe necessary.
1639060185706.png

1639060209076.png

1639060229185.png

1639060253634.png

1639060276576.png

It was not easy setting these lights up. Each set of lights has a manual override switch, that has to be turned on first.
The Baja Design lights are wired into the high beam switch only.
The Yellow Cree running lights are turned on / off manually.
The Loboo lights have separate control box & switches with 3 levels each. I would prefer the two white spotlight sets to be wired direct into the high beam switch, but this more complicated because of the separate control box each set has. However we will have a go at this in the coming weeks.

If anyone needs any spotlight or electrical work I can highly recommend Kong in Chiang Rai.

Can the alternator runs these lights for any length of time, is a valid question?
Well they are not all on for any great length of time, because as a respectable rider / driver, you are constantly dipping your lights onto low beam.
I have yet to run with lights on full high beam for 20 minutes+, that will be the long test 45 minutes on full high; however with the 3 sets of spotlights having manual over ride switches, you can turn off some as you go.
Or that's the theory, let's see what happens in practice coming back from a Mekong Pizza in a few days.

I hope some of you riders find this info helpful.

Reactions: Heineken

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Bloody hell David only 9 spotlights + your headlights :eek:

Im sure you will be seen with that many lights, the very top lights next to the Baja design are too close to each other IMO, the light blends together as one ;)

I am a firm believer that the yellow lights are the best option for daytime running lights, they are alot more noticeable, I also have the Loboo on my Honda NC750X and they have the flip up yellow lense so I could use as a white light at night if I wanted....................................I rarely ride at night though, I prefer to be sitting having a few beers in the evening, not riding motorbikes :)

On my X-Max I was running 2 small white spotlights up under the indicators, I recently changed them to small Kirin lights off Lazada @ 800 Baht a set, which have a yellow appearance front on, move slightly to the side and the light is white, I think it is from the lense design.

I prefer the lights up high, not on the lower forks where most mount auxiliary lights on scooters as mounting options are limited, I made my own mounting plates out of a bit of flatbar mounted behind the plastics, and the Kirin brackets are mounted to that on the outside, happy with the result and looks neat, plus the lights stay alot cleaner up away from the front wheel.

AM-JKLWeUz3PXzdlgJAa-4YDb-ncC7UA4H8GutT6kMg1iXfChaG00-CS-__t_brjyfVTDy9PrTvNkIPk3zppbSNxHt64Uin7uGeoqzxvGE4na-caGMEPy6efnnF5a36qkr65Jp-1WgdU9p6YDQJxg30g5aPNEw=w533-h944-no

AM-JKLXTw4kjIrXxfSiWPsPV37naV6_4bI2SK8T77BllTl0qZJVBrsjoAKiCZhKdqRFXi70vo9MBwLNEwLqgzLbbbUMI8KelZTJx2__wnQyb9hgfE4EsR0AGG8kjvu816wRXHnP-X8Ps9HlEUKarzZyV3i78RQ=w533-h944-no

AM-JKLWwhzG8jy7oGmzvq40KXpLLTgMfPjsWVEZ1SLQZQrQvxrxvFRGKwO835wj4gGkQrpxf_TnyEa5vm3ypez_ymxxvhYKYDjqJmcZgJaMwg--aFdukSE1Tdzw98-yjBev_PWhGXf8QcG8xdceUciLd1W24BQ=w533-h944-no

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Bloody hell David only 9 spotlights + your headlights :eek:

Im sure you will be seen with that many lights, the very top lights next to the Baja design are too close to each other IMO, the light blends together as one ;)

I am a firm believer that the yellow lights are the best option for daytime running lights, they are alot more noticeable, I also have the Loboo on my Honda NC750X and they have the flip up yellow lense so I could use as a white light at night if I wanted....................................I rarely ride at night though, I prefer to be sitting having a few beers in the evening, not riding motorbikes :)

1. 9 spotlights, because that's "the way the cookie crumbled." I had ended up with extra Loboos & thought I wouldn't get much if I sold them, so let's try & use them, to see if they can be set up nicely, & if it will work. To be honest I'm not sure I can run them all on high continuously for any extended length of time. If my calculations are right there's a total of 463 Watts on high on the front.
1. Vstrom high = 65W
2. Baja Design 2 x 20 = 40W
3. Cree Yellow 2 x 30 = 60W
4. Yellow Loboo 1 x 10 = 10W
5. White Loboo 4 x 72 = 288
Total = 463 W.

Accurately measuring the alternator output & the spotlight drain on the battery is the next task.
A 2013 Vstrom alternator puts out a claimed 375W. What a 2017 is supposed to produce I don't know exactly yet, maybe a tad more?
Fortunately all the spotlights can be turned off independently, so you don't have to run them all together.

2. Agree on the top Loboo fitted right on top of the Baja Design light, but that is the easiest, most convenient place to mount them, without making separate brackets.

3. Totally agree on the yellow running lights in the day. White really doesn't do it,, when most vehicles have white running lights. You're just another white light on the road.

4. I honestly think that the Loboos are the best lights to get now!
Multiple brightness levels
Low - 10 Watts / 800 Lumens
Medium - 36 Watts / 4000 Lumens
High - 76 Watts / 8000 Lumens

Most lights out there are less than 76W.
Those that are more than 76W don't seem to have multiple brightness levels.
Having 1 super powerful spotty was an option I was looking at, but then thought if it fails you have none, but with 2 sets of Loboos on you have more than enough & back up if one set fails.
If the BKK distributor would lift his game & provide better customer service, they would be a winner everytime IMHO.

As a kid I always remember crossing the Nullabor in Oz with Mum & Dad in the car, and at night was always in awe of the big truck spotlights you could see in the distance that would take up to 15-20 minutes before the truck was on you.

Rock on. I'm looking forward to more night riding. Living a dream......

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
As a kid I always remember crossing the Nullabor in Oz with Mum & Dad in the car, and at night was always in awe of the big truck spotlights you could see in the distance that would take up to 15-20 minutes before the truck was on you.
555 - Had a pair of Marchal 150W on my car back in the early 70's
People got the hint when they would not dim their high beam !
Switch them on at idle and you could hear the engine slow down !

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
The DLT in Nan was not happy with the lights on the AT when I changed the ownership of the bike. Had to hand out a purple one. :p

King of Jars

Subscribed
Feb 27, 2008
Nong Khai
The DLT in Nan was not happy with the lights on the AT when I changed the ownership of the bike. Had to hand out a purple one. :p
As if they would have a clue - but yes, if you can purple-fix such an issue, go for it. The alternative is an endless teasing by the purple-seekers ;-)

Reactions: Oddvar

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019

Would they not accept just having the lights turned off ?......................or are your lights wired direct to the ignition ?