looking for riding companion paid or not

Feb 8, 2006
Hello,

first, are bikes for rent in Sihanoukville or Siem Reap?

I am a rider from Colorado/Wyoming USA and have a Baja (XR250) at home. Have good experience on technical/rocky trails, not as much experience in the mud. Looking to do either challenging day rides out of Phnom Penh, maybe out of Siem Reap if I can get a bike up there, in the next week or so, or up to a 4-5 day ride, Route 66 sounds very good, I talked with JimCA2 here on the riverfront and he gave me some good tips.

Willing to ride with anyone going on a trip, or pay a cambodian guide preferably to ride his own bike rather than on the back of mine through some challenging stuff. Anyone have ideas for me, things happening in the next week or two? Probably going to Kampot tomorrow but will be around the area and checking this board, you are also most welcome to email me at public at bitjug.com

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Andy

Feb 8, 2006
Also wanted to add that I'm looking for something simpler than a $100/day organized tour. no disrespect to those tour operators. I may end up going that route for a day if I can't come up with anything else but I can't really afford several hundred bucks for this endeavor.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Hi Lobster
It's no problem renting bikes in Sihanoukville.
I believe Suzuki 250 dirt bikes can be rented from the Freedom Hotel.
Costs around $10 per day. The bikes appear in very good condition.
If you want something bigger, try the Blue Frog Guesthouse on Victory Hill. They have Transalps 400cc for around $15 per day.
The most obvious trip in this area is Bokor Mountain. I would recommend a reliable 250 dirt bike for this.You don't need a guide.

Mingh

Dec 19, 2005
If you start your trip in Phnom Penh, Pick up a copy of Adventure Cambodia (Matt Jacobson) in Monument books on norodom street. It's made by and for bike tours in cambodia. It contains heaps of useful info, gps reads, road directions, and original well off the beaten track ideas.

route 66 is easy (if you 're okay with deep loose sand) but it's a lot of fun! Great views on rural Cambodia, small but very enchanting temples. As you're virtually alone here we liked them better than angkor in the crowds.
We drove to Kampong cham and sambor prei kuk on day 1, drove to Ta Seng (halfway r66) and preah Khan on day 2, Beng Mealea (great jungle temple) to Siem Reap on day 3. In Ta Seng, there is no guesthouse but the people put you up. Bring food and a sleeping mattress should you wish to do this. You can get bad quality gas on the way