Loud crack from the engine when starting..

Jun 11, 2010
I just acquired a 90s CBR 400 and it's really fun to ride but I sometimes get a really loud cracking sound from the engine when starting. The problem happens once in every five starts that I make. The sound is really annoying me. It is like listening to hammers on megaphones. Please help. Thank you.

Sep 1, 2011
Normally one would expect noises to be constant rather than intermittent. The only thing I can think of is the cam chain tensioner. And I know this is a bit dumb, but have you checked the oil level in the sump?
I am sure other will follow with good information if you just hang in for a day or so. Cheers, Dave.

Jun 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply Dave! No problems with the cam chain tensioner, same with oil level. As to what I've said, problem starts when I start the bike but when it gets started, the rattling noise disappears too.. :(

awabms

Jan 8, 2006
costaguapo;280329 wrote: I just acquired a 90s CBR 400 and it's really fun to ride but I sometimes get a really loud cracking sound from the engine when starting. The problem happens once in every five starts that I make. The sound is really annoying me. It is like listening to hammers on megaphones. Please help. Thank you.
The sound might come from your starter clutch(one way clutch/one way gear)

Jun 11, 2010
Solved the problem by changing the battery!!! Hope the problem won't recur. Thanks for the suggestions Captain Slash and awabms!