Mechanic in Chiang Mai

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
I needed a few little jobs doing on my TDM when I got it here from Bangkok. The guys that are usually recommended on this site were, perhaps, having a bad day and I found them less than helpful.

I ended up at 'Big Bikes' where they changed my oil and filter, replaced the microswitch on the clutch lever and greased the chain; all while I waited. The experience was good, they showed interest in me and the bike and the bill seemed reasonable, too. Does anyone else have experience of these guys? I will need more work after a few weeks thrashing, sorry riding, so I'd like to know what the general feeling is about them.

Thanks,
Dave Kelly

PS
I also needed the bike to be cleaned and found a valet place on Singharat. They blasted, soaped and polished the thing while I read National Geographic and felt sanctimonious about all this time I was putting into maintaining my bike. If I could just get a beer and a massage at the same time...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ah yes yes, know the feeling too so you're not the first.

For me the next best bet is

SAMOTO 16 Mahidol Road. Tel: 01 8238361

46289771-M.jpg

46289770-M.jpg

46289768-M.jpg

46289769-M.jpg

but it's also good to know that you think Big Bikes are ok too.

Dave how's the ride in Thai going go far then mate?
Swing by either the Kafe in the evenings or pommy Jeff's Jai Yen for a chat. There's a couple of other TDM riders in Cnx who'd like to meet you.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
I bought my TDM 2 years ago from Red Baron in BKK. They told me the place (above) that David is recommending would do any warranty or other work for me here in Chiang Mai as he used to be their service manager before going out on his own. I have only used him for minor things like brakes and oil changes but he was OK.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
Ah, I was so disappointed by Thai roads. What a load of hype. Then I did the road coming into Nan. The scales have fallen from my eyes. I am a convert.

Helen and I will be on the road for a couple of weeks but will definitely look you up when we get back to Chiang Mai.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
You are just at the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. If you are still in Nan, look at my trip report Link removed and try to include this loop in your plans.

Have fun.....

Dave Early

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha.

Did it today. We both had to lean forward at one point to keep the front wheel down; it is steep! Couldn't decide whether to thrash the TDM at 7000 to keep above the 4000 flat spot or chuff away below it. Do you have that problem or is it the Devil 2-1 on mine spoiling the power delivery?

Great road, great day, can't wait for tomorrow. We're doing David's book in reverse, to be contrary.

Be cool,
Dave

Jan 22, 2005
Hi helenk,

When you get to Chiang Khong (4 hours North of Nan - on the Mekong) give us a call 01 9902096.

This Monday the 7th we'll be having drinks with David (Mr. GT Rider)at Lomtawan restaurant. Lomtawan is on the left side of the road as you are riding through town. Chances are you will be reading this at one of the local internet cafes within hollering distance.

The 1150RT and David's 750 should be parked out front.

Cheers,
David and Mai

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

We both had to lean forward at one point to keep the front wheel down; it is steep! Couldn't decide whether to thrash the TDM at 7000 to keep above the 4000 flat spot or chuff away below it. Do you have that problem or is it the Devil 2-1 on mine spoiling the power delivery?

I don't think it matters what you are riding, it is sometimes pretty hard to find the right gear/RPM to keep it totally smooth. Just keep smiling and working the gears.

Dave Early

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by David

Hi helenk,

When you get to Chiang Khong (4 hours North of Nan - on the Mekong) give us a call 01 9902096.

This Monday the 7th we'll be having drinks with David (Mr. GT Rider)at Lomtawan restaurant. Lomtawan is on the left side of the road as you are riding through town. Chances are you will be reading this at one of the local internet cafes within hollering distance.

The 1150RT and David's 750 should be parked out front.

Cheers,
David and Mai

Helen and I are, indeed, reading this in the internet cafe next door to the Lomtawan. Look forward to meeting you.

Dave

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
I will never get that drunk again. Well, not till the next time, anyway.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with us putting the world to rights.

Be cool,
Dave (beard)

Jan 22, 2005
A night in Chiang Khong at Lomtawan:

David and Mai went home around 9:30.
David (Mr. GT Rider) stayed late talking with the sales lady from Toyota...again...[:p]
David (beard) and Helen closed the place down at 2:00AM.

2 Davids and a Mai had early breakfast the next day, while the other David (beard) and wife missed just about all of the morning...but who was counting beers anyway.

And yes, there is now another David and like one of the other Davids, this one is also on a TDM.

Cheers,
David and Mai

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
The world has been put to rights by David, David, and David.

God help us all.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
It's a tough job but someone had to do it! Sorry I missed it (the original David TDM).

DavidCK-

Supposedly my Suzuki chain and sprockets are on their way from BKK. Tires are here already. Finished my "studies" and everything should be on schedule for Laos. C U Soon.

Dave Early

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by BobS

The world has been put to rights by David, David, and David.

God help us all.

BobS

Yes it could well be as there's a few of us now
1. Davidfl, Africa Twin 750
2. David Silverhawk / Yamaha TDM, the original
3. David Chiang Khong (& Mai) R1150RT & F650
4. David Lek / Snail, Ducati 916
5. David "Copy" Yamaha TDM the 2nd
6. David Andersen, Bros 650.
anymore....?

It could be fun when it comes time to "check bin" eh?

All you Davids - dont forget The Kafe Nov 19!

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
"It could be fun when it comes time to "check bin" eh?"

Fine with me - David pays the bill!!

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."