Motobatt Gel Batteries #1 in Thailand

Sep 7, 2014
Gotta say these things are powerful. It helps that I upgraded my stator and rectifier about a year ago, but all you've gotta do is breathe on that starter button, and the big monstah fires right up.

I know of three sources for these great batteries:

LINK in BKK
087 711 5880

Iron Horse in Pattaya
084 111 2889
http://www.ironhorsepattaya.com/
Leigh gives a 2-year warranty on those he sells (Leigh had my battery shipped and on its way before I had even deposited the money into his account)

Sub Anan Motor in Khon Kaen
043-320992

Dec 27, 2007
Excellent info- gel batteries are da bomb but can be hard to find here! :thumbup:

Sep 7, 2014
Just a heads up for all of you with Motobatt batteries. As you know, the battery posts for positive and negative screw into the battery with allen hex bolts.

Well, today, I was getting a little bit of turn signal foolishness. One working, one not, both working, etc.

Got back to base and pulled off the seat to check the turn signal connections and the dash lights started flickering. Saw a very slight spark near the positive post of the battery, unbolted the positive cable ... and lo and behold ... that battery post was loose. (That hex bolt takes a '4', by the way)

Tightened things down really good. Now everything operating as it should.

I will add "Check the battery posts" to my semi-annual maintenance checks.

NOTE: this won't deter me from replacing my Motobatt with another Motobatt when the time comes. It's a great battery!

Feb 5, 2007
are those the bright yellow ones?
If so, mine lasted 2 years and seemed no better than a Yuasa lead acid battery

I would like to find a good 18 Ah battery at a fair price rather than the overpriced HD ones

Feb 5, 2007
I need 19Ahr x 270 CCA min. and would like more if I sometimes forget the de-compression buttons and the starter groans a bit

the HD is an AGM
Motogatt is apparently a GEL
The rest of the local lot are the traditional wet lead/acid types

What I would really like is a lightweight, powerful Lithium battery

Oct 20, 2012
Since this thread opened
i have bought a honda battery(car 1.7 months old)
versys battery 1.8 months old 3000klms
klx battery ( not sure of age)
electric scooter ( 6 months old)
kiddies electric bike (4 months old)
it seems weird to me that battery's fail here more than the UK where I have also just changed my Volvo battery after 7 years
very strange

Oct 17, 2006
MOTOBATT are made in taiwan ,, they have a good reputation in UK 8/10 users love them on the Ducati forums ...

Jan 9, 2010
For what it's worth, just bought a standard battery from Kawa Rama 9 for 1950 baht. The current one was three years old but only got used for two months every year. Better to buy a replacement than being stuck in bumf*** somewhere.

scotty007

Subscribed
Feb 23, 2004
One good and one bad experience with Motobatt, one fitted to my battery eating BMW seems to be doing better than average, the other was awaiting to be fitted to my Honda CRF 250 for unfortunately longer than the warranty period and was dead on fitment, tried to recover it with my smart charger, no go, 2500 baht wasted!

Guzzibs

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Jul 20, 2018
One good and one bad experience with Motobatt, one fitted to my battery eating BMW seems to be doing better than average, the other was awaiting to be fitted to my Honda CRF 250 for unfortunately longer than the warranty period and was dead on fitment, tried to recover it with my smart charger, no go, 2500 baht wasted!
Yes Scotty had similar mixed results with Motobatt fitted to my Guzzi Stelvio. First one great could go away for work for a month or two no trickle charger and fire the beast up no worries on return. Not sure exactly how long it lasted but I must have been happy with it as I went straight out and bought another one when it died. Not impressed when the new one died about 18 months in. Bike is parked up in Aussie at the moment while I live mainly now in Thailand so not sure what to get next. I hear lithium a bit suss so maybe a different brand of gel batt.

Reactions: scotty007

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I have a Motobatt in my RTW bike (Yamaha Tenere 660) and it has been great. While bike was shipped from Sydney to Valparaiaso - Chile more than 3 months in a container the bike fired up without hesitation. Last year I parked the bike in Uruguay for almost 4 months - came back and the bike fired up again without any hesitation. Battery is now more than 3 years so Im impressed.

Was at the Motobatt dealer in CM yesterday. Biggest problem was to find him as his map is a bit off and nobody nearby have heard about him or his shop. And he havent put a phonenumber on his Facebooksite either. But after much headscratching and sighs I found him. So bought a Motobatt for my Crf 250, slightly cheaper than the original Yuasa I found elsewhere. Will be interesting to see how it performs.

Oct 17, 2006
i also no longer trust motobatt had one last 4months it was replaced under warraty as it was defective ,, but the replecement only lasted 17 months ,, now using Yuasa again

several mebers of ducati club uk have had poor reliability with motobatts too