MotoGP Malaysia Oct 19-21

Jun 21, 2006
Just to keep the interest going on Sepang...

Below is the programme from last year.

As you can see it is full on racing/practice for the 3 days

774599152_804d891008.jpg

Latest News

Lorenzo to join Rossi at Yamaha
Lorenzo leads the 250cc championship with 120points
World 250cc champion Jorge Lorenzo will partner Valentino Rossi at the Yamaha MotoGP team next season.

So where does that leave Edwards...

gus

Mar 24, 2005
Hopefully the later date this year will solve the rain issue- last year qualifying and the pit walkabout were cancelled due to a huge thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon. The great thing about the non-crowds at Sepang is that you can sit anywhere, expecially during free practice and qualifying. You can walk around and get different views of the track.
That's big news about Lorenzo joining Yamaha. Edwards could take a demotion to the Dunlop supported Yamaha team, or go to Suzuki. He's been the perfect teamate for Rossi- he realized his job was support. Lorenzo could really challenge Rossi (and Stoner) for the championship.

Jun 21, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by gus

Hopefully the later date this year will solve the rain issue- last year qualifying and the pit walkabout were cancelled due to a huge thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon.

Gus, last year we sat in the leaky grandstands on Saturday from 12 till 4pm waiting for the rain to stop and racing to resume. Now what I don't understand is at 4pm, the rain stopped, track drained, so why didn't they at least run some of the later schedule races for the junior guys. Building a race track in a monsoon rained country, you would have thought that they would have designed the track a bit better for getting rid of surface water.

gus

Mar 24, 2005
TJ, yes, one would have thought they could done that. Judging by your pics, we spent most of our time right down the row from you, a little closer to the final corner (the crash in the 125cc's was right in front of us). They were lucky last year it didnt rain on race day. I remember some ominous clouds passing by not too far away.
I hope they have the pit walk around a little better organized this year, too. Last year no one knew what was going on. But for 500 baht for a weekend pass and 500 more for the pit pass, i guess we cant complain too much. I checked out going to China last year and it was something like $200 for the cheap seats.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
For you guys going down there will be two GT Riders banners for use.
One for the camp ground (3 metres wide?) & one for the stand (2 metres wide), should do the trick & get us noticed.
TJ if I dont make it, you can look after these.
I'm still unsure whether I can go, as my new Golden Triangle guide map will take priority - it has to be at the printers in time for high season.

Jun 21, 2006
David, I intend being up there in Cnx before Sepang so can collect them then, and should be back up again before Xmas.

When watching the MotoGP back home, on tv, I saw my car and tent parked up in the camp site, so you never know, might get some exposure for GT-Riders on "The Box"

Jun 21, 2006
And now for something a bit different. There is a 100 year old schooner sailing yacht, sailing from Phuket to Sepang, the itenary as follows.

Oct 16 Phuket to Langkawi
Oct 17 Shopping on Langkawi - Duty Free Island
Oct 18 Pangkor - island off Lumut
Oct 19 Port Klang
Oct 20 Transfer to GP to watch qualifying
Oct 21 Transfer to GP to watch race
Oct 22-26 Return via Langkawi

Price includes:
All food/soft drinks/beer whilst on board
Transfers to/from circuit
Admission to circuit
Skipper and hostess/cook

40,000 baht per person.

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
TJ, u down anchor in RSYC? thats my club too [:D]

So, any1 need help to book hotel in KL?

joko-parttime-guide.

gus

Mar 24, 2005
Hi Joko, thanks. i 'd like to stay downtown, nothing fancy, near the sentral station. anything 1500-2000 baht a night within 10 minute or so walk? Friday / Saturday nites

Jun 21, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Joko

TJ, u down anchor in RSYC? thats my club too [:D]

Joko, if you bump into Shu Fenn Ho, she used to be in public relations at RSYC, say Handsome John from Phuket says Hi, I took her for a scenic ride around Phuket on my GS

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by gus

Hi Joko, thanks. i 'd like to stay downtown, nothing fancy, near the sentral station. anything 1500-2000 baht a night within 10 minute or so walk? Friday / Saturday nites

Hokay...I get on to it.
Offhand, I know the YMCA is just across the road. But I am sure there are plenty of shoplot hotels there going for under Baht1200 per nite and Naht2000 will actually get u a very decent hotel arpound sentral....I will check. Gimme me by Friday. ta.

joko

p/s Meridien & Hilton are there too...but they will cost minimum US$200/nite[xx(]

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
Gus,
The 2 nearest hotels to Sentral train station are:
- YMCA Hostel RM80.00/nite. Its like 200m walk to the station.

If u ride, bike park is safe here as they have their own guarded compound.
http://www.ymcakl.com/hostel.htm

- Mexico Hotel :) hahahhaa...its directly opposite the station and is a corner multi-storey shotlot hotel. Some friends confirmed that it is clean and comfy. Your bike is parked on the sidewalk :-(
http://www.cuti.com.my/hotel/info.php3? ... xico+Hotel

There are also the really cheap intermediate shoplot hotels that charge even by the hours ;-)

U can book direct or what do u want me to do?

joko

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
Oops! Mexico hotel's rate is RM130 (Baht1200) per nite...this could be ideal.

joko

gus

Mar 24, 2005
Joko, I always wanted to go to Mexico. That sounds great. I'm flying down so dont need parking. I'll take it from here. Thanx- we'll hook up in KL or at the track......

Nov 11, 2006
Joko - I would like something in the same area as Gus but can pay more for something better.
Standard I prefer is 3 or 4 star with some sort of cable TV service and Buffet Breakfast at the least. Thai Baht about 2000+ is ok.

Gus - I will make contact with you before leaving and we'll catch up.

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
sorry 4 late reply...was in the Land Below the Wind.

the only other hotel near Mexico Hotel (Sentral area) would be either ymca hostel or cheap,cheap shotlot ala sleazy hotels...then u have the really high end like the Hilton & The Meridien located just a stone throw away from the station.

The other hotels of that standard (Baht2500+) would be Cititel or The Boulevard, these 2 are located in the Mid Valley shopping complex, This complex is almost the stepmother of all shopping complexes (almost like MBK, bangkok)

If u google Cititel Malaysia..u will probably get the other info.
This hotel has a train station (mid Valley stop) just 200metre away. And it is a stop away from Sentral. Gus will have to pass your station (Mid Valley) on his way to Sepang :)

gus

Mar 24, 2005
Joko- do you know anything about the Pearl International Hotel? They have an internet rate of 200MYR per night- and they have a pool. Is it close enough to walk to train station?
The website says "close by to Mid Vally Mega Mall".

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
Nope..Pearl Int hotel is located at least 4-5km away from Sentral and Mid Valley. There isnt any rail/commuter train service where it is located. If u want to stay there, u will need to take a cab to the nearest Commuter (Mid Valley).

Actually Cititel is the cheaper version of The Boulevard Hotel (though both are located in the same shopping complex). This complex has a variety of restaurants & pubs/sports bar to chill out in the evening. But I am sure u know that drinking holes in Msia do not have the kind of eye candies or entertainment as in the Land of a Thousand Smiles.[;)]

I will go for Mexico for the convenience of transport. And since I will be out att sepang the whole lot of saturday & sunday, i just need a clean room, with hot water shower, and a decent environment/lobby...with options to chill out at the locals nearby.

gus

Mar 24, 2005
Thanks Joko. I checked out the Mexico website- it says they only take group reservations. If you can book me a room there I'll definetly take it. I'll be on the same schedule as you- in fact i'll be going to the track straight from the airport friday morning.

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
Hokay Gus.
I go find out saturday (25/8/07)and if thye can take reservation?
Do i book u a room for friday, saturday and sunday nite?

gus

Mar 24, 2005
Joko,

been trying to email you, not getting any response- can you email me? thanx

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
Nov 11, 2006
Joko I checked out the Cititel and Boulevard at Mid Valley. Both look ok and the price is good for me.
BUT,they are way out of downtown KL and only 10km from Sepang. Is that correct and is that a problem for night time activities?